Texas Fishing Forum

Help with Lake Travis Carp

Posted By: non boater

Help with Lake Travis Carp - 03/09/16 09:11 PM

Good afternoon all, thanks in advance for any assistance. We have a slip in the Point Venture marina, and there are literally dozens of carp swimming around the floats all the time, most are in less than10' of water, bottom depth is 60+ feet deep. Any ideas on catching these guys?

Thanks
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Help with Lake Travis Carp - 03/09/16 10:58 PM

I don't target Carp but the ones I have caught were all on worms (night crawlers) while fishing for other types of fish. They are truly a GREAT FIGHTING FISH and have earned my respect. Not knowing any of their major traits or patterns I would try using corn on a slip float at 8 to 10'. Also try chumming the water with sweet corn as well. Just my two cents from an angler who does not know all that much about a super fish. Also use a small hook. 2cents
Posted By: whiterockjesse

Re: Help with Lake Travis Carp - 03/10/16 02:29 AM

I would get on the bank and cast into 15 ft or less depth of water . an oatmeal pack bait on the weight and plain corn on the hook ought to get you some bites . read thru FAQ section ( the first thread) on here to get more ideas Good Luck thumb
Posted By: SOCALCARPER

Re: Help with Lake Travis Carp - 03/22/16 02:21 PM

can corn
Posted By: agfisher02

Re: Help with Lake Travis Carp - 03/28/16 02:41 PM

Canned corn under a slip cork.
Posted By: Max_S

Re: Help with Lake Travis Carp - 03/31/16 09:06 PM

I've done a fair amount of carp fishing around lighted docks/marinas on the lakes. I've found that during the day and earlier in the evening, I've gotten most of my bites bottom fishing in 10-20 feet of water (usually on some kind of dough bait - oatmeal and cornmeal mixes are my favorite, esp. when combined with sweeteners). However, late at night until right before dawn, the carp and buffalo start feeding much more actively near the surface, at which point I switch over to fishing a slip float with the bait suspended only a couple of feet below the surface.
Posted By: Max_S

Re: Help with Lake Travis Carp - 03/31/16 09:07 PM

Quote:
I don't target Carp but the ones I have caught were all on worms (night crawlers) while fishing for other types of fish. They are truly a GREAT FIGHTING FISH and have earned my respect.

Pretty much everyone with an open mind changes their opinion of carp and other 'rough fish' once they've caught and fought a few, especially on light tackle!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum