Texas Fishing Forum

Squaw Creek tilapia question

Posted By: HaulinBass02

Squaw Creek tilapia question - 12/20/15 01:29 AM

So we accidentally caught a few tilapia today while bass fishing. They were all in the 3 lb range and we kept them rather than toss them on the bank. Funny thing is they hit square bill cranks in shad color as well as spinner baits, go figure.
Anyway, when I filleted them out, I noticed the flesh had a really yellow tint to them. Is this normal? We've only eaten store bought tilapia and liked it so I figured wild caught should be just as good or better. Being these are the first ones I've caught I want to make sure the color of the flesh is right for them before we eat them. They all looked healthy with no weirdness to them.
Posted By: Luke57

Re: Squaw Creek tilapia question - 12/21/15 08:08 AM

Will be fine cut out red stripe
Posted By: Josh W

Re: Squaw Creek tilapia question - 12/22/15 02:23 PM

I visit squaw at least once a year and keep a cooler full of them. They are good to eat and like Luke said cut out the red lines.
Posted By: rainman64

Re: Squaw Creek tilapia question - 12/22/15 04:08 PM

I have fish Squaw creek and have not caught any so far, can you tell me what area of the lake you caught them in? Thanks Ray Wallace
Posted By: Luke57

Re: Squaw Creek tilapia question - 12/23/15 09:44 AM

Ray go to the coves to the right of the dam were the warm water is we found them shallow 5-12 ft of water
Posted By: fiSherwood

Re: Squaw Creek tilapia question - 12/23/15 05:37 PM

Any fish that is edible, and that is most of them, is protected by law. You should not ever be throwing fish onto the shore to rot.
Posted By: Frenzy

Re: Squaw Creek tilapia question - 12/23/15 05:59 PM

Originally Posted By: fiSherwood
Any fish that is edible, and that is most of them, is protected by law. You should not ever be throwing fish onto the shore to rot.

It's the lakes rules, all tilapia caught must be retained or killed.
Posted By: Dubee

Re: Squaw Creek tilapia question - 01/08/16 04:48 PM

Originally Posted By: fiSherwood

You might want to check tp&w rulebook
Posted By: whiterockjesse

Re: Squaw Creek tilapia question - 01/10/16 02:11 AM

Originally Posted By: Luke57
Ray go to the coves to the right of the dam were the warm water is we found them shallow 5-12 ft of water
Luke , Is this area you mention accessible by foot or only by boat. I am boatless and looking for tilapia information for a fellow angler . What time of year can the be caught from shore and public ? Are these fish caught year round or is a certain season better .
thx
Posted By: Curtbass

Re: Squaw Creek tilapia question - 01/10/16 05:00 PM

+1 on removal of tilapia from Squaw Creek. Not to be released back into the lake alive!! Clearly stated in park rules.
Posted By: justindfw

Re: Squaw Creek tilapia question - 01/13/16 12:41 AM

Are kayaks allowed in squaw creek. Really want to catch some talapia but only have a yak.
Posted By: opie

Re: Squaw Creek tilapia question - 01/26/16 08:42 PM

We caught a few before christmas. Baked them with salt, pepper and creole seasoning. Wonderful food.
Posted By: TheCatcherman4

Re: Squaw Creek tilapia question - 01/26/16 08:46 PM

Thrown my cast net out there in a larger cove and thought I was wrapped around a tree until the rope almost pulled me into the water. A good 30 tilapia were in there
Posted By: Robert Hunter

Re: Squaw Creek tilapia question - 02/15/16 05:41 AM

I've caught several in squaw on traps. Want to throw net them Fairfield is the place to go its real full of them.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum