Texas Fishing Forum

store bought dough bait

Posted By: Illnoize

store bought dough bait - 07/05/15 02:56 AM

Has anyone had luck with store bought dough baits?
Posted By: Curt0407

Re: store bought dough bait - 07/05/15 03:34 AM

Most of the carpers that post here rarely use dough bait at all. Th prevalent bait would be flavored corn or boilies. I would guess that the dough baits that are used are home made.

Re: store bought dough bait - 07/12/15 12:26 AM

Ok just wondered if any of the store bought bait worked for anyone
Posted By: Cyprinus

Re: store bought dough bait - 07/12/15 01:08 AM

I've used it in the past. I wouldn't waste my money...what you can make yourself from a box of Wheaties or just a simple piece of bread wadded up (minus the crust) will far outfish it.
Posted By: TexasCatfishCowboy

Re: store bought dough bait - 07/13/15 04:15 PM

You are better off making your own bait. The store bought stuff usually is meant to attract new fishermen and isn't really effective.

Re: store bought dough bait - 07/15/15 03:38 AM

Thanks
Posted By: J.StoneRepairs

Re: store bought dough bait - 07/18/15 01:49 AM

There's always wheaties and big red
Posted By: joser

Re: store bought dough bait - 07/30/15 03:26 AM

On the TPWD page there are recipes for dough baits, I was fishing Kiby for blue gills and a n older couple was catching a lot of large carp with a homemade bait we kept questioning them whats in it, and little by litle they finally told us, they were nice enough to give everybody to try out the kids caught osme fish on it and had fun,after what they said it sounded like a variation of the TWPD recipes, so today I made some to try out, recipe #1 oatmeal, flour, corn meal mollasses , cinnamon, vanilla. Recipe #2 all the same except with anise oil instead of vanilla will give it a test this weekend
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: store bought dough bait - 07/30/15 05:24 PM

I have made it with just cornmeal and sugar. A little water to make a dough ball and steam it until its rubbery. The sugar holds it together. Have also used wheaties cooked up the same way. Both will catch carp and buffs.
Posted By: roadtrip

Re: store bought dough bait - 07/30/15 05:56 PM

When I was a kid we used to buy this stuff called "Taylor Made" dough bait. It had different flavors, some for carp, some for catfish. We used to slay the carp with it on Lake Ray Hubbard in early May. It smelled delicious, mostly like vanilla. Those were the good ole days.
Posted By: stubby77

Re: store bought dough bait - 09/03/15 12:54 PM

Originally Posted By: J.StoneRepairs
There's always wheaties and big red
#1 on wheaties and big red.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum