Texas Fishing Forum

Eating a gasper goo???

Posted By: Jthoele

Eating a gasper goo??? - 04/30/10 06:19 AM

Caught a mess of fish out of the navasota tonight...crappie, bass, sandies, and a gasper goo (prolly 2 pounds)...I went ahead and filleted it and plan on frying it with the rest...Will I need to call a MD in the morning?
Posted By: Curt0407

Re: Eating a gasper goo??? - 04/30/10 10:44 AM

No sir. Goos are good eating, especially those under 5 to 6 pounds. Bon Apetit chef
Posted By: bfs0078

Re: Eating a gasper goo??? - 04/30/10 12:29 PM

I know alot of guy that catch goo and eat them. They told me that they just mix it in with the rest of the fish and can't tell the difference.
Posted By: fiSherwood

Re: Eating a gasper goo??? - 04/30/10 02:47 PM

You might even like it! Same finny family as redfish and seatrout; both are great eats.
Posted By: HookDog02

Re: Eating a gasper goo??? - 04/30/10 03:04 PM

Good tasting fish.
Posted By: DFW fisherman

Re: Eating a gasper goo??? - 04/30/10 11:05 PM

What is a gasper goo?
Posted By: Cyprinus

Re: Eating a gasper goo??? - 04/30/10 11:14 PM

Freshwater drum
Posted By: Parker

Re: Eating a gasper goo??? - 04/30/10 11:17 PM

i cleaned some and kept them seperate last weekend. they are really firm with a little red meat. didnt have a very strong taste either. the meat had a slightly yellow tint to it after being fried. i'd eat them again. there are much better fish out there to eat but freshwater drum are better than just "edible".
Posted By: DFW fisherman

Re: Eating a gasper goo??? - 04/30/10 11:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Cyprinus
Freshwater drum

Thanks. I would not eat one of those by choice. Is that what fast food fish sandwiches are made of? eeks
Posted By: fwbret/txfishes

Re: Eating a gasper goo??? - 05/01/10 12:47 AM

Originally Posted By: Parker
i cleaned some and kept them seperate last weekend. they are really firm with a little red meat. didnt have a very strong taste either. the meat had a slightly yellow tint to it after being fried. i'd eat them again. there are much better fish out there to eat but freshwater drum are better than just "edible".

yup.

Posted By: Jthoele

Re: Eating a gasper goo??? - 05/03/10 05:18 PM

After I fried it with all the other fish listed above, I could definitely pick out the drum pieces...didn't taste bad so to say, but definitely not on par with the other fish I fried. I will prolly go back to releasing any others I catch like I have done in the past.
Posted By: Love_to_Fish

Re: Eating a gasper goo??? - 05/08/10 11:39 PM

I live in Houston.
Where do you go to catch gasper goo??
What do they look like?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum