Texas Fishing Forum

First gator gar pending colorado river rod and reel record

Posted By: Wildman of the navidad

First gator gar pending colorado river rod and reel record - 05/23/18 01:18 AM

Got done working cows early last week and hit the river used whole bluegill with the tail cut off and a fillet style slit cut on one side 3 runs one gar river was up and dirty fished sand bar adjacent to a 30ft deep hole the gator gar and longnose we're everywhere also it amazed me how diffrent the gator gar runs are compared to longnose longnose in my exp grab you bait a haul but then stop the gator gar seemed more like a turtle run take 5,10' of line then stop then a little more then stop until I reeled up thought it was another softshell until it leaped out of the water fish was 38.9 lbs 54" long with a 22" girth fish was ate by my Me my wife and kids wasn't going to kill it just for a record alone
Posted By: gar1970

Re: First gator gar pending colorado river rod and reel record - 05/23/18 01:37 AM

Nice gar wildman congrats on the record
Posted By: J-Moe

Re: First gator gar pending colorado river rod and reel record - 05/23/18 02:03 AM

Congrats Clayton on a monster fish thumb

Re: First gator gar pending colorado river rod and reel record - 05/23/18 02:03 AM

Thanks Leo Jamie and chuck
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: First gator gar pending colorado river rod and reel record - 05/23/18 02:05 AM

bow_down Nice fish Clayton and Congratulations on your record fish! cheers
Posted By: Catyakker

Re: First gator gar pending colorado river rod and reel record - 05/23/18 02:14 AM

WOW, how in earth did you land that monster by yourself Clayton? I bet you really had your hands full. Congratulations. You certainly deserve all the kudos we can offer. By the way, I just can't understand how you and that pretty young lady are related. grin

Re: First gator gar pending colorado river rod and reel record - 05/23/18 02:19 AM

Originally Posted By: Catyakker
WOW, how in earth did you land that monster by yourself Clayton? I bet you really had your hands full. Congratulations. You certainly deserve all the kudos we can offer. By the way, I just can't understand how you and that pretty young lady are related. grin

whip whip whip whip whip

Re: First gator gar pending colorado river rod and reel record - 05/23/18 02:20 AM

Lol I took a tie rope off my saddle before I even started fishing I was thinking ahead I already did the grab em by the gill plates and let em break ur arms thing and that's my yougest she is a cutie I wanted a picture with all my girls but they were with grandma
Posted By: TXMulti-Species

Re: First gator gar pending colorado river rod and reel record - 05/23/18 02:35 AM

Nice fish, congrats on the record! At 38.9lb she's still little for a gator gar, I'll bet you'll break it soon enough!

Re: First gator gar pending colorado river rod and reel record - 05/23/18 11:39 AM

Would like to get the catch and release record
Posted By: TXMulti-Species

Re: First gator gar pending colorado river rod and reel record - 05/23/18 03:15 PM

Just took a look at the record page and found a 150lb gator gar that was bowed (unfortunately) just last year, so they're definitely in there!

Re: First gator gar pending colorado river rod and reel record - 05/23/18 05:19 PM

Yeah I watched a boy weigh one that weighed 206 on the grain scales at the feed store 2 years ago asked what he was going to do with it said nothing loco
Posted By: Pot licker

Re: First gator gar pending colorado river rod and reel record - 05/24/18 12:08 AM

WTG! clap and congrats!
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: First gator gar pending colorado river rod and reel record - 05/24/18 12:26 PM

Great fish and "CONGRATULATIONS" on your record! flehan

Side Note: Bet you had one heck of a fight trying to get that fish out of the water! duel (Did you have any help?)

Re: First gator gar pending colorado river rod and reel record - 05/24/18 12:45 PM

Thanks PL and gitter done I was by myself getting it out of the water was fairly easy but getting it up the 20' cliff bank was real tough thank goodness for the old flood control cables that where hanging out of the bank I threw a bowlin loop in the end of my tie rope put it around my waist and started accending

Re: First gator gar pending colorado river rod and reel record - 05/24/18 12:47 PM

Ended up with a record and poison ivy from my neck to my knees but what's new
Posted By: cellis

Re: First gator gar pending colorado river rod and reel record - 05/24/18 04:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Wildman of the navidad
Ended up with a record and poison ivy from my neck to my knees but what's new

grin

Congrats on the fish
Posted By: Laker One

Re: First gator gar pending colorado river rod and reel record - 05/26/18 12:50 PM

Nice fish and congratulations on your record. You are having a good year! woot

Side Note: Do you use a metal leader. hmmm

Re: First gator gar pending colorado river rod and reel record - 05/26/18 03:41 PM

Thx Curtis and 135#Berkley 8 strand wire leader 9/0 owner big river hook 80# power pro braid
Posted By: Laker One

Re: First gator gar pending colorado river rod and reel record - 05/27/18 12:01 PM

That is some heavy tackle! Try getting one of those on ultralight tackle! eek2

Side Note: You ever catch a gar from a kayak? Also did you ever make it to Placid? If so how did you do? Lots of Longnose Gar in that part of the river!

Re: First gator gar pending colorado river rod and reel record - 05/27/18 04:05 PM

Lol I made it to placid 2 dink longear a micro bass and a 8.5" Rio seen a lot of carp but no takers wanted to make it to the dam but the boat traffic started bigtyme made it to fm78 and turned around before the boats swamped me one passed me goin 20 plus with his motor trimmed all the way down.and threw wakes over my bow it's pretty narrow to narrow for me

Re: First gator gar pending colorado river rod and reel record - 05/27/18 04:08 PM

And no gar from my yak yet but in due time

Re: First gator gar pending colorado river rod and reel record - 05/27/18 04:19 PM

Lol I made it to placid 2 dink longear a micro bass and a 8.5" Rio seen a lot of carp but no takers wanted to make it to the dam but the boat traffic started bigtyme made it to fm78 and turned around before the boats swamped me one passed me goin 20 plus with his motor trimmed all the way down.and threw wakes over my bow it's pretty narrow to narrow for me

whip hung whip hung whip

It's Wake Boat Time on the River Lakes! whip whip
Posted By: Dfitz

Re: First gator gar pending colorado river rod and reel record - 05/30/18 02:47 PM

Awesome Clayton!
Posted By: crapicat

Re: First gator gar pending colorado river rod and reel record - 05/31/18 12:35 AM

Yeah I watched a boy weigh one that weighed 206 on the grain scales at the feed store 2 years ago asked what he was going to do with it said nothing loco

I think I would have asked him for it and made up some gar balls!

Re: First gator gar pending colorado river rod and reel record - 05/31/18 02:31 AM

Crapicat I asked him when he killed it was the night before and he just had it in the back of the truck in the summer heat if it woulda been cooler/ iced down I would have took it and cleaned it porta wasted meat gar is my favorite fish to eat I normally try too keep some longnose in the freezer

Re: First gator gar pending colorado river rod and reel record - 05/31/18 02:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Fitz®
Awesome Clayton!

Thanks Andrew
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum