Texas Fishing Forum

Turtles and cham

Posted By: MinMirny

Turtles and cham - 03/29/18 02:23 AM

Thinking of new spot, but I see a lot of big turtles there.
Once I was need to leave good spot when little turtles occupied it: not a big fan to release them every 15 minutes.
It was about little turtles.
Here I see whole lot of big ones, different breed.
Will they eat cham and bait, too?
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Turtles and cham - 03/29/18 04:03 AM

I think turtles would eat just about anything not artificial. I use corn when I fish for carp and usually catch a couple turtles each time out! Friends of mine use doe bait,corn flake mixtures,etc and they also catch their share to turtles. I round out by casting a little further out from the bank you get less turtles. Try fishing with your bait and see what happens. Best of luck! cheers

Re: Turtles and cham - 03/29/18 04:11 AM

Originally Posted By: banker-always fishing
I think turtles would eat just about anything not artificial. I use corn when I fish for carp and usually catch a couple turtles each time out! Friends of mine use doe bait,corn flake mixtures,etc and they also catch their share to turtles. I round out by casting a little further out from the bank you get less turtles. Try fishing with your bait and see what happens. Best of luck! cheers

Thanks!
A lot to think about before even try... smile
Posted By: TXMulti-Species

Re: Turtles and cham - 03/29/18 04:14 AM

Originally Posted By: MinMirny
Thinking of new spot, but I see a lot of big turtles there.
Once I was need to leave good spot when little turtles occupied it: not a big fan to release them every 15 minutes.
It was about little turtles.
Here I see whole lot of big ones, different breed.
Will they eat cham and bait, too?

Turtles will eat anything. On a recent trip I had turtles stealing my bait non-stop, so I switched to boilies. When I pulled them up, they had quite a few long pieces taken out of them, it definitely came from a beak and it weren't no bird. I have had some good luck fishing in turtle-heavy places, though. Gotten quite a few PB's in a pond filled with 'em. You never really know what's down there 'til you wet a line! Good luck!

Re: Turtles and cham - 03/29/18 04:19 AM

Sometimes turtle fishing isn't too shabby! This is my PB turtle so far @ roughly 25lbs. Spiny soft-shell from a local pond.
Posted By: Catyakker

Re: Turtles and cham - 03/29/18 05:28 AM

Unless you want to cut your hook off, Needle nose pliers are a must when fishing where turtles reside. Turtles are so smart I have had them stick there heads up out of the water and make a beeline to where my bobber rested, and dive right by the bobber and take the bait. Yep them turtles are smart and will eat most everything. mad

Re: Turtles and cham - 03/29/18 10:10 AM

My new friends resting across my spot smile

Re: Turtles and cham - 03/29/18 10:14 AM

It really is important for me to know: I was going to use relatively soft boilies. Probably, not a good idea.

Re: Turtles and cham - 03/29/18 10:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Catyakker
Unless you want to cut your hook off, Needle nose pliers are a must when fishing where turtles reside. Turtles are so smart I have had them stick there heads up out of the water and make a beeline to where my bobber rested, and dive right by the bobber and take the bait. Yep them turtles are smart and will eat most everything. mad

Oh, I think I saw it!
First of all, I already had my float bitten by
1) curious duck, and
2) little turtle.
In both cases was need to patch/paint balsa body.
But last couple times I saw exactly this: turtle approached float and did not touch, but went down, and for a long time. I just never thought it was eating my cham.
I was different spot and different turtle breed - much smaller and greenish in color.
Posted By: Smile-n-Nod

Re: Turtles and cham - 03/30/18 06:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Catyakker
Turtles are so smart I have had them stick there heads up out of the water and make a beeline to where my bobber rested, and dive right by the bobber and take the bait.

I used to see the same thing at Ghostie, too.

I haven't fished there in years. I'll have to give it a go, some time.

Re: Turtles and cham - 04/02/18 10:28 PM

Let me report my first catch.
Little one with a beautiful light green skin. Was cooperative when I was taking my hook from her mouth, and was real fast rushing back to water, stepped on my foot smile

Re: Turtles and cham - 04/30/18 03:08 AM

I give up... spot I was trying to bait is completely infested with turtles.
Todays result: 2 fish and 10 turtles. Leaders are always messed... was tying all day.. real invasion.
Have to start looking for different place to go ((((((
Posted By: Marc-62

Re: Turtles and cham - 04/30/18 01:49 PM

Releasing turtles help with the infestation you are dealing with it's time to cull some out. You do know turtles can be used for food Turtle soup, fried turtle , baked turtle, grilled turtle your on top of a gold mine . If you don't want to eat them cut their heads off and throw them back in they will sink no harm no foul.
Posted By: whiterockjesse

Re: Turtles and cham - 05/02/18 12:08 AM

are you targeting carp?when water warms you will have problems with turtles anywhere you go . i swithed to plastics on a hair rig for hook bait and use oatmeal balls around the weight .yes they will eat plastic corn at times but you at least have a chance on catching carp and buffalo.i usually only use real maize early in the morning when they may still be dormant and the rest of the year of course.I see you from Austin , Im jealous !!

Re: Turtles and cham - 05/02/18 09:39 PM

Thanks! I have to adjust my mind: just accept and live with it smile
One idea to try: bait some area 300 - 500feet from the REAL place, and keep them there... well.. may be even with majority of carp, too... but at least I'll be almost free from turtles, and there are much more fish than turtles out there!
May I ask you why you are jealous? smile

Re: Turtles and cham - 05/03/18 01:02 AM

Originally Posted By: MinMirny
Thanks! I have to adjust my mind: just accept and live with it smile
One idea to try: bait some area 300 - 500feet from the REAL place, and keep them there... well.. may be even with majority of carp, too... but at least I'll be almost free from turtles, and there are much more fish than turtles out there!
May I ask you why you are jealous? smile

Austin is the carp capital of Texas!
Posted By: whiterockjesse

Re: Turtles and cham - 05/03/18 05:30 PM

MinMirny, what he said " Austin is the carp capital of Texas! "
Posted By: uncle_bagster

Re: Turtles and cham - 05/03/18 09:58 PM

Anyone know if alligators will eat turtles?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum