Texas Fishing Forum

Took my Dad Carp Fishing

Posted By: TXMulti-Species

Took my Dad Carp Fishing - 01/28/18 01:04 AM

I'd been going on about carp fishing at home for quite a while now, so my dad (who had never caught a carp before) finally decided that he wanted to get in on it. Thank God I've had all this time to get acquainted with the sport before taking him out, and it all seemed to pay off. We got a cool ~70lbs of fish on the bank today, with a couple more missed but who's complaining when we got that much? We both shattered our PB's (OK, my dad didn't have one before, but still counts) twice today. Below are the pictures, weights and lengths included. We used a Euro method lead rig with a simple mix of corn, hominy, bread crumbs, and jello for everything besides the first fish which hit on a small treble hook with bread.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Dad's first ever on the bread/treble combo. This one was a whopping 16.6lbs and 31in. What a first.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
His second carp, either this is some serious beginner's luck or he's a natural. 18.5lbs and 31.5in.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
#3 for dad, 8lbs and 25in.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Dad's last one, his smallest and still better than my PB before today @6.5lbs 25in.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
My first fish of the day, breaking my previous (and very sad) PB of 3lbs. This one's 7lb and 22in.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This one was a surprise! Technically still a common, but I'll keep my PB's for commons and Koi separate. 9lb 25in and my current PB.

My dad smoked me both in numbers and in size, but we had a blast and we're definitely doing this again. Fingers crossed for a 20+lber and maybe a buffalo!
PS: For those that actually calculate the numbers, it's 65.6lb total in carp, but we did net a couple catfish along the way as well. Just didn't weigh 'em.
Posted By: MinMirny

Re: Took my Dad Carp Fishing - 01/28/18 01:27 AM

What a great trip!!!!!!!!!! Congratrs!
Posted By: whiterockjesse

Re: Took my Dad Carp Fishing - 01/28/18 01:32 AM

banana awesome pictures and write up , congrats to you two !
Posted By: Wildman of the navidad

Re: Took my Dad Carp Fishing - 01/28/18 02:15 AM

Awesome
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Took my Dad Carp Fishing - 01/28/18 02:43 AM

Nice fish and some "Lifetime Memories"! thumb

Re: Took my Dad Carp Fishing - 02/06/18 05:43 AM

Thanks guys, it was by far my best fishing trip to date. Hopefully I'll be able to replicate my results for future trips!
Posted By: gar1970

Re: Took my Dad Carp Fishing - 02/06/18 03:15 PM

Awesome! great post and pics. Congrats to you and your dad on your PBs
Posted By: Pwizzle89

Re: Took my Dad Carp Fishing - 02/07/18 12:57 AM

Do people just release Koi in public ponds?
Posted By: Curt0407

Re: Took my Dad Carp Fishing - 02/07/18 01:14 AM

Yes, koi are frequently released into public waters by people that have or had aquariums that they either are getting rid of or that the koi have out grown. I have caught them from Joe Poole lake and Lake Arlington.
Posted By: Pot licker

Re: Took my Dad Carp Fishing - 02/08/18 08:18 PM

Cool post nice pics. Congrats to dad! clap
Posted By: Dale Holmes

Re: Took my Dad Carp Fishing - 02/10/18 03:45 AM

Good Job!

Posted By: Park

Re: Took my Dad Carp Fishing - 02/27/18 10:33 PM

Nice catch !!

Where is this place ? I would like go and catch some carp.
Posted By: gar1970

Re: Took my Dad Carp Fishing - 02/28/18 12:41 AM

Welcome to the forum! Just about any water in texas has carp

Re: Took my Dad Carp Fishing - 02/28/18 05:04 AM

Originally Posted By: Park
Nice catch !!

Where is this place ? I would like go and catch some carp.

Originally Posted By: gar1970
Welcome to the forum! Just about any water in texas has carp

He's right, everywhere has carp. The way I've found to draw them into an area is to bait it consistently for 3 or more days at the same time in the same place you plan to fish. This particular area is Andrew Brown Park East in Coppell, it's the big pond with the stream flowing into it.

Re: Took my Dad Carp Fishing - 02/28/18 04:49 PM

Great guys !!
Thanks for all the info.
SAM thumb

Re: Took my Dad Carp Fishing - 03/05/18 07:18 PM

Yes sir you were correct!! This place has some amazing size craps in there and they love to fight.
I caught about 5 carps within 2 hours yesterday basically catch and release.
I chum the area well in advance.

Here is one picture that I am sharing.

I was surprised that the water was not even that deep and yet there were a lot of big carps in the water. .

The places I have been fishing earlier by “Trinity River” always has water about 8 to 10 feet deep; however, with all the recent rain it has gone about 14 feet or more. Infect it’s all flooded after all this recent rain.

I wanted to thank you for helping me out with this new location. I had a great time there.

Thanks
SAM
Posted By: sae

Re: Took my Dad Carp Fishing - 03/05/18 08:51 PM

Multi tex are you in the witness protection program? Just joshin.

Re: Took my Dad Carp Fishing - 03/05/18 09:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Park
Yes sir you were correct!! This place has some amazing size craps in there and they love to fight.
I caught about 5 carps within 2 hours yesterday basically catch and release.
I chum the area well in advance.

Here is one picture that I am sharing.

I was surprised that the water was not even that deep and yet there were a lot of big carps in the water. .

The places I have been fishing earlier by “Trinity River” always has water about 8 to 10 feet deep; however, with all the recent rain it has gone about 14 feet or more. Infect it’s all flooded after all this recent rain.

I wanted to thank you for helping me out with this new location. I had a great time there.

Thanks
SAM

Congrats! Glad to hear you had fun. It's certainly a great time when you're catching. woot

Re: Took my Dad Carp Fishing - 03/05/18 09:56 PM

Originally Posted By: sae
Multi tex are you in the witness protection program? Just joshin.

Not too keen on putting my face on the Internet. The fish is what's important anyways!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum