Texas Fishing Forum

Water surface question

Posted By: Tommar

Water surface question - 12/15/17 01:45 AM

At a place I go to all the time I see carp tailing at the surface in < 3 feet of water when the wind is calm and the surface is smooth.

Unfortunately, I didn’t have carp bait or equipment to target them on those days.

I’ve tried fishing for them on a day with waves rolling in and then today with just little half foot waves and no luck either day.

Do carp not like waves and move deeper by any chance? Maybe waves muddy up the bottom too much? The bottom is short grass and weeds < 6 inches tall.

Maybe it’s my bait too. I’ve always heard Wheaties, Big Red, and bread is great but not from what I see. I added some brown sugar to help it clump together. I don’t think that would turn them off.

I’m gonna make it a point to carry my carp gear with me every time I go. hammer
Posted By: Cat finder

Re: Water surface question - 12/15/17 02:50 AM

Try simple things like a little wad of white bread or yellow corn. Should do just fine.
Posted By: whiterockjesse

Re: Water surface question - 12/17/17 02:08 PM

as far as water calmness .......i will not go carp fishing with the intent to land one when the water is calm ,i go to relax and get out in nature .i have never had a good day in calm water that i can remember . the rough water is better for me at least . i may have to go with heavier leads for bite detection tho . i have always heard from fishing over 40 years oxygenated water = fish bite ... still water = less oxygen .also i have gone to lakes when you see fish coming up often to surface and cant get a bite . in my opinion time of day has alot more to do than anything else .if you can figure out that you should be able to catch at that particular area any time you go out . keep in mind bite times change thru out the yr ... right now my times are from 1 to 4 pm
Posted By: Tommar

Re: Water surface question - 12/18/17 02:29 AM

Thanks guys.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum