Texas Fishing Forum

Ketchikan Alaska

Posted By: dkershen

Ketchikan Alaska - 08/12/17 11:47 PM

Did a little fishing this week in Ketchikan. Day 1 was focused on Halibut, and we slayed them. Largest 2 where mine and my wife's. My big one weighed 35lbs.

Day 2 was focused on Salmon and we limited out on Silvers up to 12lbs. Gonna fire up the smoker when I get home. Lots of folks getting smoked salmon for Christmas this year food

Total for the trip is 14 Salmon, 3 Halibut and 4 Rock fish. One heck of a great trip. thumb Highly recommend everyone give this a try someday. I know I'll be coming back!
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Ketchikan Alaska - 08/13/17 12:14 AM

Outstanding job clap Very nice catch and that is going to be outstanding table fare.
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Ketchikan Alaska - 08/13/17 12:14 AM

Very nice! How did you guys fish for them?

Re: Ketchikan Alaska - 08/13/17 04:47 AM

Originally Posted By: TCK73
Very nice! How did you guys fish for them?

Went out on day trips with a local guide. We jigged 400 ft with cut bait for the Halibut. Trolled with down riggers and flashers for the Salmon.
Posted By: Luke57

Re: Ketchikan Alaska - 08/13/17 11:17 AM

Awesome
Posted By: trlrman

Re: Ketchikan Alaska - 08/13/17 12:37 PM

What guide outfit did you use ? I will be there next Sunday using The Alaska Catch guide service.

Re: Ketchikan Alaska - 08/14/17 02:44 AM

Originally Posted By: trlrman
What guide outfit did you use ? I will be there next Sunday using The Alaska Catch guide service.

Baranof guide service. Biggest and best in Ketichikan. They have 25 guides going out daily sharing info so they stay on the fish. Word to the wise. Make sure your guide is competent trolling with Down riggers. Bait dunking is very slow, but guides putting in effort to troll are getting limits.

Re: Ketchikan Alaska - 08/14/17 10:46 AM

Thanks for the info and the heads up on the trolling!
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Ketchikan Alaska - 08/14/17 01:43 PM

Nice fish and a nice post! Thanks for sharing. woot
Posted By: ssfireman

Re: Ketchikan Alaska - 08/14/17 02:11 PM

how many days were you there.

Re: Ketchikan Alaska - 08/14/17 03:54 PM

Originally Posted By: ssfireman
how many days were you there.

6 days total. Only fished 2 days, but still came home with over 80 lbs of frozen fish filets.
Posted By: fishnyak

Re: Ketchikan Alaska - 08/14/17 08:42 PM

Awesome! I'll be in Ketchikan by the end of this week. Hoping to be as fruitful as you were. smile
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Ketchikan Alaska - 08/14/17 09:00 PM

coolphotos Nice trip!

Re: Ketchikan Alaska - 08/15/17 03:54 AM

Originally Posted By: fishnyak
Awesome! I'll be in Ketchikan by the end of this week. Hoping to be as fruitful as you were. smile
you on the Legend?

Re: Ketchikan Alaska - 08/16/17 01:51 AM

nope . flying to ketchikan , solo fishing trip smile . will you be on a cruise ship or staying in town? i reserved with baranof fishing this friday for halibut and salmon fishing. If you're staying in town and interested in renting a skiff for a day , let me know. Split the rental and fish all day smile

Re: Ketchikan Alaska - 08/16/17 03:23 AM

nope . flying to ketchikan , solo fishing trip smile . will you be on a cruise ship or staying in town? i reserved with baranof fishing this friday for halibut and salmon fishing. If you're staying in town and interested in renting a skiff for a day , let me know. Split the rental and fish all day smile

If you see Chuck the owner (middle aged blond guy with a beard) tell him Dave and Shar from Texas sent you. He also owns The Alaska Fish House restaurant next to his docks. Very Good food though a tad pricey (as is everything in AK). Chucks a great guy who's quick to pickup your bar tab in exchange for feedback on his operation. At least he did for us.

Re: Ketchikan Alaska - 08/16/17 06:45 AM

Been to the Fish house once, Good food indeed ! smile
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Ketchikan Alaska - 08/16/17 01:47 PM

Nice fish. Thanks for sharing.

Re: Ketchikan Alaska - 08/17/17 11:04 PM

wish I could on a cruise
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum