Texas Fishing Forum

Help ID this bird

Posted By: McKinneyLonghorn

Help ID this bird - 07/11/16 03:49 AM

Two of these have been flying around my parents' house in DFW for the past few months. Their wingspan appears to be 2.5-3 feet. From looking at a few Birds of Texas books, we are pretty sure they are Mississippi Kites, but was hoping someone on here could be more definitive. Thanks.

Posted By: 5Redman8

Re: Help ID this bird - 07/11/16 04:07 AM

Mississippi Kite is correct
Posted By: Luke57

Re: Help ID this bird - 07/11/16 08:13 AM

Yes it's a kite they won't leave my chickens alone

Re: Help ID this bird - 07/11/16 12:03 PM

Got it. Thanks.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Help ID this bird - 07/11/16 08:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Luke57
Yes it's a kite they won't leave my chickens alone

Sounds like you're not the only one. From the most recent Game Warden Field Notes

Chicken Coop is Probable Cause

A Houston County game warden received a call from a local vet clinic about a hawk type bird that had been brought in with an injury. The bird had been shot with a pellet gun. The warden identified the bird as a Mississippi kite. The bird had been found in a backyard in Crockett. The warden talked to the family that had found the bird and noticed a chicken coop in their neighbor’s backyard. Without any more info than just the bird being found, the warden did a “knock and talk” with the neighbor and got a confession to shooting the kite. While the Mississippi kite is not an endangered species, it is federally-protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act. Cases pending.

roflmao

Re: Help ID this bird - 07/22/16 04:00 AM

Not sure there are any chicken coops around, but there are lots of bird baths and more mourning, white wing and collared dove then you could shoot in 100 life times.
Posted By: bogey♂

Re: Help ID this bird - 07/26/16 04:31 PM

They will dive at you so be careful.
Posted By: machinist

Re: Help ID this bird - 07/29/16 01:22 AM

We had a couple of pairs of Kites the roosted in some tall cottonwood around the neighborhood. I had a old
Heddon Meadow Mouse that I took the hooks off of and when I would see them flying around I would throw the
Mouse in the alley and go Kite fishing. Man those things can dive and they loved that Mouse until one of them broke my line and stole my Mouse. It was lots of fun though.
Posted By: TxDanFishMan

Re: Help ID this bird - 07/29/16 02:27 AM

We have 5 Kites that hang out in our neighborhood in Keller and many more around town.
They come back every summer and I've read they migrate to South America in the winter but who knows for sure. I enjoy watching them soar high on hot days and each morning and evening come hunt for locust while pearched from our tallest tree in the backyard. I only see them hunting insects and never other birds or animals.
Posted By: Pinkus

Re: Help ID this bird - 09/29/16 02:10 AM

I've got a few hanging around the house, they are after my chickens by day and then owls come after em at night. Got to where cant let em out anymore cause they keep disappearing, I WANT to shoot em cause I've seen em eyeballing the wife new weiner dog puppy to
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Help ID this bird - 09/29/16 11:38 AM

Cool bird!
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Help ID this bird - 09/29/16 06:53 PM

coolphotos Awesome!
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Help ID this bird - 09/29/16 09:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Laker One
coolphotos Awesome!

Plus #1. cheers
Posted By: jwcromer