Texas Fishing Forum

A caravan of Lone Star boats leaving the plant in Grand Prairie circa 1950s

Posted By: Cowboy Church Bass Club

A caravan of Lone Star boats leaving the plant in Grand Prairie circa 1950s - 06/19/16 04:06 AM

Her are some old pictures of Lone Star boats being delivered from the Manufacturing plant in Grand Prairie. Nice old shots of Down Town Dallas too.

Leaving the manufacturing plant in Grand Prairie

Downtown Dallas

Oak Cliff Mirror and Glass sign in the background

More info about Lone Star
http://www.fiberglassics.com/library/Lone_Star

Re: A caravan of Lone Star boats leaving the plant in Grand Prairie circa 1950s - 06/19/16 04:22 AM

Here is a picture of me, my brother and my dad with my Grandfather's Lone Star in the background - Lake Whitney in 1964.

Me driving the boat.

I have that boat now (Skipper model). It's virtually indestructible.

I grew using fishing and water skiing in this boat on Lake Whitney.

When My Grandfather died I bought it from my Grandmother.

My kids learned to water ski and fish out of it too and it won't be long before I take my grandkids out in it.

It's been to the Texas Coast, Destin Florida, and most of the lakes within 200 miles of the DFW metroplex.

Posted By: BigCaseyB206

Re: A caravan of Lone Star boats leaving the plant in Grand Prairie circa 1950s - 06/19/16 09:41 AM

Cool pics! I see the Chance Vought plant in a few pics - employed what seemed like half the population of Grand Prairie at one time!
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: A caravan of Lone Star boats leaving the plant in Grand Prairie circa 1950s - 06/19/16 11:22 AM

coolphotos Awesome! Thanks for sharing. cheers
Posted By: bush hog

Re: A caravan of Lone Star boats leaving the plant in Grand Prairie circa 1950s - 06/19/16 11:47 AM

Nice pictures. My dad and I had a Lone Star cabin cruiser until a tornado came through. Seems like every boat you saw back then was a Lone Star.
Posted By: don the angler

Re: A caravan of Lone Star boats leaving the plant in Grand Prairie circa 1950s - 06/19/16 11:50 AM

Thanks for sharing. The old cars would be worth some money these days. One photo had a 1959 Chevy station wagon pictured. Looks like you were enjoying driving the boat.
Posted By: FishinTime

Re: A caravan of Lone Star boats leaving the plant in Grand Prairie circa 1950s - 06/19/16 02:18 PM

Those are some great pics, thanks for posting them.
Posted By: Lazy Ike

Re: A caravan of Lone Star boats leaving the plant in Grand Prairie circa 1950s - 06/19/16 03:03 PM

WOW really interesting,my dad bought one about 1963,it was aluminum white n red had windshield, it had little porthole windows in bow on each side,with hatch doors on bow/deck,you could lay down up front,lots of good times,fish caught, learned to ski behind it, one crazy memory,DAd,my brother n I were night fishing Tawok. 35 fow around 12 pm we decide to head in, motor had other idea, wouldn't run,bro n I get rope on the bow swim it to ramp,maybe 2hrs later. LOL. Daddy Let Me DRIVE. thanks again for pics.
Posted By: Stacey Dude

Re: A caravan of Lone Star boats leaving the plant in Grand Prairie circa 1950s - 06/19/16 05:54 PM

Awesome
Posted By: karpbuster

Re: A caravan of Lone Star boats leaving the plant in Grand Prairie circa 1950s - 06/20/16 02:27 PM

Neat pictures and great memories I bet. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Fishingking

Re: A caravan of Lone Star boats leaving the plant in Grand Prairie circa 1950s - 06/20/16 08:34 PM

Grew up in a King Commander. Fished many hours with my Dad out of it. He bought 5 of them, one for each of his brothers. We looked like an army trolling up and down lake Travis. Can't begin to imagine how many times he would turn it upside down for me and my brother to re-paint it.
Posted By: swade

Re: A caravan of Lone Star boats leaving the plant in Grand Prairie circa 1950s - 06/20/16 09:14 PM

Growing up in Grand Prairie, this pictures bring back a lot of memories during that time. These must publicity photos, otherwise, why would they take boats to Dallas and back. It's kind of nice to see Dallas when the Southland Life and Republic Bank were the tallest buildings in Dallas. Of course, my parents remember when the Mobile Building with its red lit Pegasus was the city's tallest. Someone earlier commented that half of Grand Prairie worked at either Chance Vought or Ling Temco. My mother worked at Chance Vought and Dad worked at Temco until they merged in the '60's and then went to work for Braniff until their bankruptcy.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: A caravan of Lone Star boats leaving the plant in Grand Prairie circa 1950s - 06/20/16 10:16 PM

Awesome pictures and bring back great memories. The first boat I remember my dad having was a Lone Star Commander. We pulled that boat all over. And the Oak Cliff Mirror & Glass sign was a good memory too, worked there for 15 years in the 60's and 70's. Thanks for the great pics. thumb
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: A caravan of Lone Star boats leaving the plant in Grand Prairie circa 1950s - 06/21/16 12:43 AM

Those are great pics with a history behind them thumb
Posted By: Txmudder

Re: A caravan of Lone Star boats leaving the plant in Grand Prairie circa 1950s - 06/22/16 04:11 PM

Originally Posted By: 2 Bee'z
Those are great pics with a history behind them thumb

Very cool pics. My Grandpa has a couple old lone stars we use for river fishing. One is a 1953 and the other is a 1962. Still great boats!
Posted By: big fish2

Re: A caravan of Lone Star boats leaving the plant in Grand Prairie circa 1950s - 07/05/16 04:11 AM

Man how old are you ? Just kidding bolt

Re: A caravan of Lone Star boats leaving the plant in Grand Prairie circa 1950s - 07/06/16 02:52 AM

Posted By: Metal Man

Re: A caravan of Lone Star boats leaving the plant in Grand Prairie circa 1950s - 07/06/16 03:29 AM

great photos fur sure. Brings back a lot of great memories. I also have a lone star aluminum boat I want to get sea worthy and back in the water. I actually bought it from a guy in grand prairie.
Posted By: river-rat

Re: A caravan of Lone Star boats leaving the plant in Grand Prairie circa 1950s - 07/07/16 09:02 AM

Cool pics

Re: A caravan of Lone Star boats leaving the plant in Grand Prairie circa 1950s - 07/16/16 03:19 PM

Here is a really good link to the history of Lone Star boats. I think it has all the old Lone Star brochures.
The main page on this website has the history of all the boats.

http://www.fiberglassics.com/library/Lone_Star

Posted By: toddfish

Re: A caravan of Lone Star boats leaving the plant in Grand Prairie circa 1950s - 07/17/16 02:35 AM

Originally Posted By: Cowboy Church Bass Club
Here is a picture of me, my brother and my dad with my Grandfather's Lone Star in the background - Lake Whitney in 1964.

Me driving the boat.

I have that boat now (Skipper model). It's virtually indestructible.

I grew using fishing and water skiing in this boat on Lake Whitney.

When My Grandfather died I bought it from my Grandmother.

My kids learned to water ski and fish out of it too and it won't be long before I take my grandkids out in it.

It's been to the Texas Coast, Destin Florida, and most of the lakes within 200 miles of the DFW metroplex.

Cool stuff. thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum