Texas Fishing Forum

BIG roosterfish in Panama

Posted By: Pierre

BIG roosterfish in Panama - 02/26/16 04:33 PM

Here are some fresh news from the Panafishing lodge in Pedasi, Panama. I am pretty happy to be able to post a nice report after the mixed results from Mike's group in late January, and the 2 groups that followed (all reports from all groups are being posted on our website).

Our area experience the windiest season in memories. Too much wind makes the jigging really difficult, and clouds the water at the coast, which is bad for popping, so overall really limits the options.
With that in mind, I was feverishly watching the wind forecast for the new group consisting of 3 spaniards which company was a delight. 30 knots on the first day, lowering to 25 and 20 for the next 2. OUCH ! February is always kind of windy but that is really bad. The last 3 days were more typical of a normal year, with winds between 10 and 15 knots, and calm mornings or afternoon.

As expected, we had a bad start. The first day was pretty much unfishable, the guys called it a day at noon, coming back home with only a few jacks, a small snapper and a baby mullet snapper that may have been 3 pounds...
The next 3 days were average to bad, with stirred waters on the popping grounds and impossibly fast drifts on the jigging spots. Besides the usual action on jack crevalle and sierras, and a few good amberjacks, only a few good fish were caught: a blue jack, a nice shark, a couple nice rainbow runners, and maybe a few more.
By the end of day 4, I was really sorry for those guys, who really deserved better, and I was resolving to post another "not so good" report on our website.
The last 2 days really made the trip, however, with the wind allowing to fish the more exposed spots and the water clarity returning to normal. Our 3 friends got 5 roosters each day, only BIG fish, with the smallest one running about 30 pounds. Each angler got a HUGE roosterfish between 70 and 80+ pounds, and a very nice amberjack was also caught on jig.

In the end, 3 happy fishermen returned home with some really nice memories and pictures, which made me really happy !

Re: BIG roosterfish in Panama - 02/26/16 04:35 PM

rooster number 1:

rooster number 2:

rooster number 3:

rooster number 4:

rooster number 5:

Re: BIG roosterfish in Panama - 02/26/16 04:35 PM

roosters number 6 & 7:

rooster number 8 (huge !):

rooster number 9 (huge, huge fish !)

rooster number 10 (another huge one !):

Big amberjack:

Better hold on !

Posted By: Rubberdown

Re: BIG roosterfish in Panama - 02/26/16 05:05 PM

awesome pictures! The turtles have the right idea anyways! I havent ever seen a rooster fish before, thats pretty cool!!!
Posted By: river-rat

Re: BIG roosterfish in Panama - 02/28/16 12:55 PM

Cool pics
Posted By: Kidde

Re: BIG roosterfish in Panama - 02/28/16 10:28 PM

Dang!!! Did y'all leave any fish for anyone else to catch? Looks like you guys had a great time. Congratulations.
Posted By: Andrew Taylor

Re: BIG roosterfish in Panama - 02/29/16 11:43 PM

one heck of a trip if you ask me!!
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: BIG roosterfish in Panama - 03/02/16 03:44 AM

coolphotos Awesome!
Posted By: Naggler

Re: BIG roosterfish in Panama - 03/05/16 07:33 PM

Friggin awesome...trip of a lifetime no doubt!
Posted By: Ledeez

Re: BIG roosterfish in Panama - 03/07/16 05:01 AM

Good stuff! Thanks for sharing
Posted By: fish shoot

Re: BIG roosterfish in Panama - 03/08/16 09:33 PM

looks like a lot of fun
Posted By: NDN98

Re: BIG roosterfish in Panama - 03/10/16 04:08 AM

Looks like some outstanding fishing
Posted By: River Mongrel

Re: BIG roosterfish in Panama - 03/28/16 08:12 PM

I am so jealous