Texas Fishing Forum

Arkansas Trip W/ My Son (Pic Heavy Long Read)

Posted By: HERROUTDOORS

Arkansas Trip W/ My Son (Pic Heavy Long Read) - 09/07/15 03:37 AM

My son and I went on a Trip to NW Arkansas (Eureka Springs) for a family reunion. We stayed at Lake Leatherwood. I had an Uncle that told me he had hired a Striper Guide for Beaver our second day and asked us to join as there was room for 5, no brainer count us in. A few days before we left the guide stated he only wanted to take 3 out. How do you tell an 8 year old who's geared up to go, we ain't going at the last second.

So I found a guide who said he would take us and it should be great fishing for the boy, he was pumped! We met with the guide who was a great guy and worked really hard for us. We ended up the day with 1 bite! That hurt, my Uncle's boat only caught two small ones, that was hard to swallow. Luckily we were staying at a lake so he could fish all he wanted.

That afternoon he bought some worms and caught lots of Bluegill and was happy. The next day we took the kayak to the Kings River and did a 5 mile trip looking for good Smallmouth. We caught fish, no trophies. I saw some fish up to 4#'s in the really clear water. My son caught one Smallie about a pound and as I went to take a picture it flopped out of his hands. It was a nice float and I learned a lot for next time. We went back to the lake and B headed down to the dock, I went to the cabin for a nap.

An hour later I headed down to check on him and he said a Big Bass tried to eat a Bluegill he was reeling in, but it missed and ate another that swam up to his worm and he was going to eat it. A few minutes later he caught a Bluegill and left it on the hook and floated it over some grass in a boat slip. A couple minutes later a Bass attacked that bluegill and his rod was bent! He reeled it up and I lipped her and took pictures and released her. That was the highlight of the trip and no matter how much we spent in guide fees, it was all worth it for the both of us.

He caught so many panfish. I went out on the lake in my yak and caught fish up to 3.5#'s and broke off one good fish. The water was super clear and choked full with hydrilla, but I figured them out after awhile, wacky worm worked fast over the grass. I can't wait for our next trip!

Re: Arkansas Trip W/ My Son (Pic Heavy Long Read) - 09/07/15 03:38 AM

Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Arkansas Trip W/ My Son (Pic Heavy Long Read) - 09/07/15 01:46 PM

Awesome Post! It just don't get any better! fish
Posted By: Luke57

Re: Arkansas Trip W/ My Son (Pic Heavy Long Read) - 09/07/15 02:28 PM

Very nice
Posted By: blooper961

Re: Arkansas Trip W/ My Son (Pic Heavy Long Read) - 09/07/15 08:56 PM

He will not remember the guide fishing or the cost.
He will always remember the time with you.
Posted By: Cowtown Kid

Re: Arkansas Trip W/ My Son (Pic Heavy Long Read) - 09/08/15 12:42 AM

There is nothing better for a boy than to have a dad that teaches him to fish. So many memories or made and in years to come he will go back to those memories over and over. Thanks for the pictures and thanks for being a great dad!

texas
Posted By: txmark1959

Re: Arkansas Trip W/ My Son (Pic Heavy Long Read) - 09/08/15 12:50 PM

Awesome.....thank you for sharing the story with all of us.
Posted By: Nitro901CDX

Re: Arkansas Trip W/ My Son (Pic Heavy Long Read) - 09/08/15 02:13 PM

That was really awesome. As an father of two grown sons, I wish I could go back and do things right the second time around. I didn't flop completely, but there would have been a whole lot more of experiences like that, in my and more importantly, my sons memories. Too bad, that hindsight is 20/20...

Re: Arkansas Trip W/ My Son (Pic Heavy Long Read) - 09/08/15 02:18 PM

I appreciate the kind words.
Posted By: nethingthatbites

Re: Arkansas Trip W/ My Son (Pic Heavy Long Read) - 09/08/15 02:37 PM

thumb
Posted By: joemac224

Re: Arkansas Trip W/ My Son (Pic Heavy Long Read) - 09/08/15 11:15 PM

Gorgeous scenery, great memories. Looks like a great trip.
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Arkansas Trip W/ My Son (Pic Heavy Long Read) - 09/10/15 07:10 PM

Great post. Thanks for sharing. woot
Posted By: B_Rod

Re: Arkansas Trip W/ My Son (Pic Heavy Long Read) - 09/10/15 11:32 PM

Wow. Great story. Funny how things work out sometimes. Nice job to you (and your son) for rolling with the punches and making a big batch of lemonade from the lemons that you guys were handed. cheers
Posted By: B_Rod

Re: Arkansas Trip W/ My Son (Pic Heavy Long Read) - 09/10/15 11:32 PM

PS: Very cool photos. thumb
Posted By: L a r r y

Re: Arkansas Trip W/ My Son (Pic Heavy Long Read) - 09/15/15 03:18 AM

WOOOOOOOO PIGGGGGGGGGG

Awesome pics
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Arkansas Trip W/ My Son (Pic Heavy Long Read) - 09/21/15 02:17 AM

thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum