Texas Fishing Forum

Jig experiment

Posted By: Timbass

Jig experiment - 07/03/15 02:18 AM

I was messing around with a new batch of football jigs and have been experimenting with shorter skirts since its summer time and the quicker action in the skirt is supposed to work better in warm water, at least that's what they tell me. So, I tied up a few of these with short tops and bottoms. For fun I glued the end of the skirt tab onto the head. I was just thinking that although I like a good paint job, that glossy head is one of the more unnatural looking parts of the jig in my mind, so I wanted to cover it up and this is what I thought of. I also think the flare it has does look somewhat like a spread out crawfish tail. I like it. What do you think? I will have to find out what the fish think before I get too pleased with myself wink. We shall see.

Posted By: 5Redman8

Re: Jig experiment - 07/03/15 02:52 AM

Looks like lion fish.

Posted By: ArkyRX

Re: Jig experiment - 07/03/15 03:05 AM

"The Porcupine"
Posted By: Wet the Hook

Re: Jig experiment - 07/03/15 03:06 AM

Have you ever heard of X-cite baits....they make some bad-A jig trailers to go with that.
Posted By: Reeladdict15

Re: Jig experiment - 07/03/15 02:13 PM

Nice!
Posted By: NITRO Z8

Re: Jig experiment - 07/04/15 01:36 PM

Looks awesome should work fine.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Jig experiment - 07/04/15 01:47 PM

Nicely done. cheers
Posted By: bigtexnick

Re: Jig experiment - 08/03/15 10:56 PM

I think you're onto something. Where exactly did you glue?
Posted By: river-rat

Re: Jig experiment - 08/04/15 01:12 AM

Looks good to me

Re: Jig experiment - 08/11/15 06:26 AM

Originally Posted By: bigtexnick
I think you're onto something. Where exactly did you glue?

Thanks. I just took the end of the skirt tab where you trim and left it a little long since the skirt is so much shorter than usual and put some superglue on the face of the head. I connected one tip of one side and just fanned it across the front of the head and let the superglue do the rest. It not the perfect solution, but I am just trying to find a solution to making the head feel like its a more seamless part of the bait instead of a nice skirt and then this glossy head that doesn't blend. It works so we never really bother with it, but I am curious to see if over time it would make a difference. Time will tell, but I have caught some fish on the jigs I made up like this so at the very least its not hurting anything. Thanks for the comment.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Jig experiment - 08/11/15 12:57 PM

There's a video on youtube with Gary Klein doing something similar.

Re: Jig experiment - 08/12/15 05:22 AM

Cool. Thanks for posting this. The way he does it is easier than how I have been doing it. I was almost shocked by how much skirt material he uses, but I tried one and it makes total sense. It is a really tight, bulky little puff ball like one of those old koosh balls from the 90's. Anyway, thanks.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Jig experiment - 08/12/15 01:08 PM

You're welcome---I'd try half koosh ball/half long strands, so you'll get the best of both worlds--some quick initial flaring, then some really slow flaring--would trigger fish wanting a fast reactionary bite and those wanting a slow/subtle bite.
Posted By: SamCollins123

Re: Jig experiment - 08/21/15 04:03 AM

Should do pretty good
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum