Texas Fishing Forum

Snapping turtles!!! Out and about

Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Snapping turtles!!! Out and about - 05/28/15 02:06 AM

Well the snapping turtles are out looking to make nest and lay eggs. Watch out for these old guys trying to cross roads and your yard. Soft shell I caught today in college station and moves her to a suitable location away from main roads. The alligator snapping turtle was caught in Arlington in my brothers friends yard. Unfortunately my brothers friend was unaware alligator snapping turtles are threatened in the state of Texas and are illegal to kill or capture so he killed the turtle possible a 30-40 year old animal? Anyway guys watch out for our shelled friends while they are out exploring.

Posted By: Derek 🐝

Re: Snapping turtles!!! Out and about - 05/28/15 02:36 AM

Nice finds! Love the Soft Shell. The Snapping Turtle is a Common. (Chelydra serpentine) and not an Alligator.
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Snapping turtles!!! Out and about - 05/28/15 02:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Derek
Nice finds! Love the Soft Shell. The Snapping Turtle is a Common. (Chelydra serpentine) and not an Alligator.

Good to know! Didn't realize their was a difference. I love seeing snagging turtles they are so darn cool
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Snapping turtles!!! Out and about - 05/28/15 02:48 AM

Awesome sight! Thanks for sharing. cheers
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Snapping turtles!!! Out and about - 05/28/15 10:52 AM

coolphotos
Posted By: nax

Re: Snapping turtles!!! Out and about - 05/29/15 04:26 PM

That's a big one! We came across a smaller one trying to cross the road while out driving yesterday. Thought it was a normal turtle at first so I had my son get out of the car to carry it across the road but he ran back to the car saying the thing tried to bite him. When I went out to grab it, sure enough it was a snapper. Quite the experience, but I did manage to get him out of the road.
Posted By: River Mongrel

Re: Snapping turtles!!! Out and about - 05/29/15 04:49 PM

Youll know if its a alligator snapper. They look like dinosours.
Posted By: Jared D.

Re: Snapping turtles!!! Out and about - 05/29/15 05:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Lightnin Rod
Youll know if its a alligator snapper. They look like dinosours.

Here's an article and pictures of the difference that I wrote and photographed.

http://www.jareddavidsonphotography.blogspot.com/2014/07/difference-between-alligator-snapping.html
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum