Texas Fishing Forum

What kind of bird is this?

Posted By: Skippy

What kind of bird is this? - 05/13/15 06:48 PM

I saw this bird in a park in University Park. It's definitely not one of the regulars at this park (or anywhere in Dallas, as far as I know). It definitely preferred walking/running to flying much like a quail. It walked all over a grass field and pecked at the ground like a chicken. This was as close as I could get to it.

Posted By: Madfrog

Re: What kind of bird is this? - 05/13/15 07:36 PM

Looks Quailish to me. Not sure exactly.

Re: What kind of bird is this? - 05/13/15 07:40 PM

It was definitely "quailish", but considerably bigger with different markings.
Posted By: RangerBass21

Re: What kind of bird is this? - 05/13/15 08:03 PM

Looks like a chukar
Posted By: Fish Art Texas

Re: What kind of bird is this? - 05/13/15 09:00 PM

that is a chukar i believe , must have escaped from someones yard!

Re: What kind of bird is this? - 05/13/15 10:22 PM

That looks like what I saw. What you can't really see in my picture is that it has a bright orange beak and feet.

Re: What kind of bird is this? - 05/13/15 10:27 PM

After researching it online, that's definitely the bird I saw. What in the hell is it doing in University Park? It's native to Pakistan. Evidently, it's been introduced here as a game bird but I can't imagine UP would be a good place to introduce a game bird.
Posted By: jugmaster

Re: What kind of bird is this? - 05/13/15 11:02 PM

Looks like a bob white
Posted By: jcartwheel

Re: What kind of bird is this? - 05/14/15 01:35 AM

That is definitely a 'Bob White' Quail. They are native to Texas, predominately West Texas region. Probably one that got away from a 'cage' hunt like several of them do in this part of the world.
Posted By: Pope1

Re: What kind of bird is this? - 05/17/15 01:49 AM

Originally Posted By: Skippy
After researching it online, that's definitely the bird I saw. What in the hell is it doing in University Park? It's native to Pakistan. Evidently, it's been introduced here as a game bird but I can't imagine UP would be a good place to introduce a game bird.

Someone probably keeps chukars in their backyard in pens near you and it's an escapee.
Posted By: STEVE B

Re: What kind of bird is this? - 05/17/15 01:50 AM

Bob white? I think not..
Posted By: WDFourty

Re: What kind of bird is this? - 05/17/15 03:12 AM

Looks like a young Chukar or a cross-breed to me. Bobwhite's dark head bar is usually level from the eye to the beak (http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Northern_Bobwhite/id), and the Chukar's head bar runs just above the beak (http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Chukar/id). And I didn't noticed any banding on the wings, but that may not be prevalent on an juvenile bird.

Used to hunt Chukar on the breaks of the Snake River in Washington State. Mighty tasty and a hard target on the wing.
Posted By: NDN98

Re: What kind of bird is this? - 05/17/15 05:16 AM

Chukar for sure. Good eating too.
Posted By: Oddball

Re: What kind of bird is this? - 05/17/15 12:17 PM

Sort of looks like a Chukar partridge, but I don't see the pronounced stripes on the wings, since Bob White's are way more prevalent, that;s probably what it is...just my opinion

Here is more info.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chukar_partridge
Posted By: don the angler

Re: What kind of bird is this? - 05/17/15 05:24 PM

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&....440.4j1.5.0.ms

Looks like a bob white to me.
Posted By: crapyetr

Re: What kind of bird is this? - 05/17/15 05:46 PM

ant no bob white...shot a jillion of'm n Foard Co., along with blues...never saw 1a these
Posted By: timwins31

Re: What kind of bird is this? - 05/17/15 08:15 PM

You guys saying its a bobwhite are blind. Really. I dunno what it is but I can tell you what it isn't, and it isn't a bobwhite quail. I see them almost daily...
Posted By: Todd Ivins

Re: What kind of bird is this? - 05/17/15 09:10 PM

Shot many a Chukar, that be it. Somewhat good eating, probably got loose from a pen raising place.
Posted By: lite-liner

Re: What kind of bird is this? - 05/18/15 12:18 AM

I've chased & shot 'em all, That's a Chukar.
We used to hunt'em in the upper mojave

gotta be an escapee
Posted By: MikeSouza

Re: What kind of bird is this? - 05/19/15 04:12 AM

Definitely a checker! Used to hunt them quite a bit in California. They are a tasty little bird
Posted By: MBDLAW

Re: What kind of bird is this? - 05/19/15 10:30 AM

Chukar - i used to be a "parkie" - lots of people keep birds like this as pets - don't know how many laws i broke as a kid raising random animals - am curious which park?
Posted By: KingwoodCat

Re: What kind of bird is this? - 05/19/15 01:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Skippy

It made a wrong turn at Malaysia.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum