Texas Fishing Forum

Night Fishing - Bait Around Green Light

Posted By: Tatanka54

Night Fishing - Bait Around Green Light - 07/03/13 07:12 PM

KQT and I did some night fishing last night. The green tube worked great. Limited out on sand bass.

The light put out about a 30 ft arch of light and we were surrounded by bait in the tens (hundreds?) of thousands. The video does not do it justice.

Click on link to see video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH8lsL5GnEY
Posted By: GMW

Re: Night Fishing - Bait Around Green Light - 07/04/13 01:21 PM

Where did you get light?
Posted By: Chuck7700

Re: Night Fishing - Bait Around Green Light - 07/04/13 01:56 PM

x2
Posted By: KQT

Re: Night Fishing - Bait Around Green Light - 07/04/13 02:08 PM

www.greenfishlights.com
Real nice guy makes them
Posted By: AlabamaJack

Re: Night Fishing - Bait Around Green Light - 07/04/13 02:09 PM

it's amazing isn't it...the strip lighting down both sides of my boat does the same thing after about an hour...more bait that you could possibly count...

and to me it comes in stages...first...bugs come to the light and hit the water...then the little minnows come which draws the bigger minnows and shad....then the predator fish show up...this all takes about an hour for me...
Posted By: heyblue

Re: Night Fishing - Bait Around Green Light - 07/04/13 03:55 PM

what did you use to catch the sandies?

Re: Night Fishing - Bait Around Green Light - 07/04/13 09:46 PM

hand tied jigs
Posted By: ColoradoTransplant

Re: Night Fishing - Bait Around Green Light - 07/05/13 04:46 AM

I would love to see some pics, this green light technique sounds pretty cool
Posted By: spro

Re: Night Fishing - Bait Around Green Light - 07/05/13 07:25 PM

Tried one of those floating white lights for the 1st time on lewisville a few nights ago and didn't get any. After about an hour all we had was a few ghost minnows and the occasional shad. Do you think the green light works better? What lake were you fishing?

Re: Night Fishing - Bait Around Green Light - 07/05/13 08:56 PM

Green lights are better, I don't know why. I have use them for years on the coast and they just draw in all kinds of baitand we have caught everything from trout to tuna. I am old enough to have experienced using Coleman lanterns at night. You would have to draw in bus to get bait fish. With the green lights you don't get many if any bugs. As for the lake I will tell you it was local. I was taught the technique many, many, many years ago by a friend and I just can’t give up the location he showed me, not fair to him. I will say I have had similar results on three other lakes known for sand bass here in the DFW area. Tarponfly is a pro with green lights and posted the results many times in the past. I see from his post he is tearing them up during the day and so I guess he does not need to go at night. He may know why they work so well.
Posted By: cypher_orange

Re: Night Fishing - Bait Around Green Light - 07/07/13 07:29 PM

That is amazing. I've always heard that the green light wave lengths penetrate the water better than white light.
Posted By: ripndrag

Re: Night Fishing - Bait Around Green Light - 07/10/13 05:12 AM

green may very well be better, any light will draw baitfish, and then bigger fish, point being green light not magic, get a light in the water and you can accomplish the objective, now whether you catch fish, that is why it is called "fishing"!
Posted By: fshng84

Re: Night Fishing - Bait Around Green Light - 07/21/13 01:08 PM

Was on the Coast this past week; saw a lot of fish activity under green lights while waiting for a table at a restaurant. Lights were part of the restaurant's dock. Looks like they work in saltwater, too! Video clip
Posted By: Rangerderden

Re: Night Fishing - Bait Around Green Light - 07/21/13 06:20 PM

Great stuff!
Posted By: HookDog02

Re: Night Fishing - Bait Around Green Light - 07/22/13 12:08 AM

I've purchased several of the $20 ones from academy they work great its just they are not solidly built. I just cant justify paying $100-200+ for one of the "professional" lights. Has any one here tried the LED strips that you can attach to your boat? They seem to be very cost effective.
Posted By: AlabamaJack

Re: Night Fishing - Bait Around Green Light - 07/22/13 12:22 AM

5th post on this thread...yes, I have tried them...only down side I have found to them is they are not snag/stump proof...if you rub against a limb, they will tear/break and the light stops at the break...

Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Night Fishing - Bait Around Green Light - 07/22/13 01:52 AM

Originally Posted By: derdensTr21
Great stuff!

Plus #1. cheers
Posted By: WWJ

Re: Night Fishing - Bait Around Green Light - 07/22/13 04:15 AM

Man, that is cool.
Posted By: gengen06

Re: Night Fishing - Bait Around Green Light - 07/25/13 03:35 PM

I agree lights work great

Posted By: RandallC

Re: Night Fishing - Bait Around Green Light - 07/25/13 04:03 PM

Nice

Re: Night Fishing - Bait Around Green Light - 07/26/13 10:43 PM

... have been tinkering around with a homemade Green LED Fishing Light. Really liked the fish attracting ability of the fishing lights we saw while on the Coast. Decided to make one that was portable and could be set under a float. Here is our prototype. Waiting for the glue to dry. Once dry, gonna have to "test" it! Video Clip.
Posted By: Duke 59

Re: Night Fishing - Bait Around Green Light - 07/27/13 06:24 PM

looks like a sci-fi movie
Posted By: czoom

Re: Night Fishing - Bait Around Green Light - 07/27/13 07:21 PM

Wow awesome. This is the future for boat lighting right here. Lol.
Posted By: Chuck7700

Re: Night Fishing - Bait Around Green Light - 07/27/13 08:36 PM

I just installed 2- 5 meter sets of those green LED lights myself. Can't wait to check them out.
Posted By: Big Red 12

Re: Night Fishing - Bait Around Green Light - 07/28/13 01:14 PM

Cool!

Re: Night Fishing - Bait Around Green Light - 07/29/13 01:03 AM

Last night field tested our Homemade Green LED Fishing Light. Things started out shaky when the Float Rig failed. We needed to weight it down since the light was too buoyant to sink. No worries though... with duct tape and decoy weights we were able to sink the light. The light stayed water tight and shown brightly; was able to attract a few bait fish in the short time we were there! Video quality is poor but good enough to see a few bait fish darting in/out of the lighted area! With a few more adjustments, we should be able to use the light on our next night fishing trip! Video Clip.

Re: Night Fishing - Bait Around Green Light - 02/04/14 02:51 AM

Tough time getting out to go fishing... been tinkering with the Green LED Fishing Light we made last year. Made a mod to the battery pack - basically discarding it and using a 6v battery instead. Going to make another one; just waiting on components in the mail. Today's Video.

Re: Night Fishing - Bait Around Green Light - 02/07/14 12:27 AM

More on the LED Green Fishing Light. Did a test on a bread board, still need more parts but it looks like the circuit is going to work! Today's Video.
Posted By: Perry

Re: Night Fishing - Bait Around Green Light - 02/08/14 11:15 PM

I have fished with the lights..pretty cool

Re: Night Fishing - Bait Around Green Light - 02/26/14 04:58 AM

Components came in; did some testing. Have more to work to do but here is the first of a series of articles that describe how we made a 9v version of the Green LED Fishing Light. The first one - Part 1, details how we made the LED Circuit. "Making a Green LED Fishing Light - Part 1 LED Circuit"!
Posted By: East Texas Diver

Re: Night Fishing - Bait Around Green Light - 03/08/14 12:26 AM

I love those green lights

Re: Night Fishing - Bait Around Green Light - 05/04/14 07:46 AM

Originally Posted By: fshng84
Components came in; did some testing. Have more to work to do but here is the first of a series of articles that describe how we made a 9v version of the Green LED Fishing Light. The first one - Part 1, details how we made the LED Circuit. "Making a Green LED Fishing Light - Part 1 LED Circuit"!

Here is the second article - Part 2 details how we made the PVC Body "Making a Simple Green LED Fishing Light - Part 2 PVC Body".

Re: Night Fishing - Bait Around Green Light - 05/05/14 02:59 AM

Here is the second article - Part 2 details how we made the PVC Body "Making a Simple Green LED Fishing Light - Part 2 PVC Body".

Found a workaround to the PVC Body while out shopping with the significant other - a sealed glass container at the Container Store on sale for $1.99. Bought the container, made another LED Circuit Assembly, and popped it into the container. It worked! May use this workaround going forward!

Re: Night Fishing - Bait Around Green Light - 05/09/14 12:36 AM

Still like the sealed container workaround but... here is the third article in a series of four about "Making a Simple Green LED Fishing Light - Part 3 Final Assembly"

Re: Night Fishing - Bait Around Green Light - 06/04/14 09:53 PM

Question from a Reader on how long the 9 volt battery will last in the light. So far, this one has been on for over 54 hours.... and still counting! This one uses the same circuit as designed in our article - Making a Simple Green LED Fishing Light - Part 1 LED Circuit. The difference is a Sealed Glass Container is used instead of a PVC Body!

Re: Night Fishing - Bait Around Green Light - 02/14/18 02:44 AM

When weather warms up, plan to set the light out with the Water Wolf Camera. Will see what the light attracts. For now, here is a recent video of the light...
Posted By: skeeter james

Re: Night Fishing - Bait Around Green Light - 03/10/18 02:30 AM

I have tried this with a white light and green light on numerous occasions and it’s never worked for me..
Posted By: bowfin

Re: Night Fishing - Bait Around Green Light - 03/10/18 03:21 AM

Will build one of those.
Posted By: crapicat

Re: Night Fishing - Bait Around Green Light - 03/11/18 10:20 PM

Originally Posted By: HookDog02
I've purchased several of the $20 ones from academy they work great its just they are not solidly built. I just cant justify paying $100-200+ for one of the "professional" lights. Has any one here tried the LED strips that you can attach to your boat? They seem to be very cost effective.

I have used most brand/types of green lights, including the monster green lights...anymore, I use the LED strip lights down both sides of my boat..you can get the leds in three different intensities, just get the good ones and you will like them...they take a bit longer to attract Shad IMO, but I no longer have to lug an extra battery or the monster around inside my boat, so I am happy just using them most all the time. One exception, when Shad must be pulled from long distances 1/2 mile, I will throw in the green monster and extra battery...hope this info helps...
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum