Fishing in the Sewer! - 02/03/13 09:54 PM

Posted By: racing75

Re: Fishing in the Sewer! - 02/03/13 10:47 PM

eeks
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Fishing in the Sewer! - 02/03/13 11:18 PM

Originally Posted By: racing75
eeks

Plus #1. I am surprised he did not take the cover off and pull a larger fish out of there. Staged all the way. Just my 2cents
Posted By: TheFishWhisperer

Re: Fishing in the Sewer! - 02/03/13 11:59 PM

This was me and i promise you this is not staged. I have caught mudcats up to one pound in there. There is a pond about 300 yards away. Thats probably why there are fish.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Fishing in the Sewer! - 02/04/13 12:07 AM

WOW! You got me! Entertaining to say the lest. cheers
Posted By: DanDaBald

Re: Fishing in the Sewer! - 02/04/13 12:24 AM

Originally Posted By: gar fisherman
This was me and i promise you this is not staged. I have caught mudcats up to one pound in there. There is a pond about 300 yards away. Thats probably why there are fish.

Where I grew up there was a ~10 acre stream-fed lake that spillwayed under a roadway - there were 2 manhole covers like the young man fishes through in the sidewalk across the road from the south end of the pond.
My young buddy & I fabricated a hook to lift the covers (we were maybe 12).
We would catch trout & pickerel in the fast-moving dark water under the road. Don't know what ever possessed us to try that trick. One day we were putting the lid back and it dropped on my bud's toe and popped it like a grape. I flagged down a cop and he took us to a doctor's office & got it stitched up.
Near the "k" of Merrick Rd - here
They've widened the road in the 50+ years since, don't know if the covers are in the middle of Merrick Road or where they've gone.

Re: Fishing in the Sewer! - 02/04/13 01:13 AM

Originally Posted By: DanDaBald

Where I grew up there was a ~10 acre stream-fed lake that spillwayed under a roadway - there were 2 manhole covers like the young man fishes through in the sidewalk across the road from the south end of the pond.
We would catch trout & pickerel in the fast-moving dark water under the road. Don't know what ever possessed us to try that trick. One day we were putting the lid back and it dropped on my bud's toe and popped it like a grape. I flagged down a cop and he took us to a doctor's office & got it stitched up.
They've widened the road in the 50+ years since, don't know if the covers are in the middle of Merrick Road or where they've gone.

Thats awesome
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Fishing in the Sewer! - 02/04/13 04:37 AM

Thats pretty freaking cool bro thanks for sharing
Posted By: balazs

Re: Fishing in the Sewer! - 02/04/13 06:09 AM

thats crazy, what would have happened if you would have caught a bigger one that didn't fit through that tiny hole?

Re: Fishing in the Sewer! - 02/04/13 09:18 PM

Reach under the drain and unhook it.
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: Fishing in the Sewer! - 02/04/13 10:00 PM

fuh fuh fuh fake.
Posted By: charlie cox

Re: Fishing in the Sewer! - 02/04/13 10:14 PM

For 1 that is just a Curb Inlet Box there is no water in it unless it is raining because it is higher grade than the actual storm drain pipe
Posted By: DAMFISHERMAN

Re: Fishing in the Sewer! - 02/04/13 11:18 PM

clap flush
Posted By: texcajun

Re: Fishing in the Sewer! - 02/04/13 11:43 PM

Not to be too precise, but that is not a "Sewer", that is a storm drain. And if close enough to a retention pond it could hold fish. But, if it is holding enough water then its just an example of poor drainage in that neighborhood and could mean it is subject to flooding.

Only thing you's catch out of a sewer is rats and cockroaches. Trust me, you won't be finding any fish, alligators, or teenage mutant turtles in a real sewer.
Posted By: horton5303

Re: Fishing in the Sewer! - 02/04/13 11:57 PM

Originally Posted By: charlie cox
For 1 that is just a Curb Inlet Box there is no water in it unless it is raining because it is higher grade than the actual storm drain pipe

+1
Posted By: Bassalope

Re: Fishing in the Sewer! - 02/05/13 03:55 AM

crazy
Posted By: river-rat

Re: Fishing in the Sewer! - 02/05/13 03:03 PM

Wow
Posted By: DustyHartOutdoors

Re: Fishing in the Sewer! - 02/05/13 05:13 PM

Originally Posted By: texcajun
Not to be too precise, but that is not a "Sewer", that is a storm drain. And if close enough to a retention pond it could hold fish. But, if it is holding enough water then its just an example of poor drainage in that neighborhood and could mean it is subject to flooding.

Only thing you's catch out of a sewer is rats and cockroaches. Trust me, you won't be finding any fish, alligators, or teenage mutant turtles in a real sewer.

+1
Posted By: lou_a

Re: Fishing in the Sewer! - 02/05/13 05:38 PM

Originally Posted By: DanDaBald

Hey good to see another displaced Long Islander here.. I'm from Bethpage....
Posted By: barndoor

Re: Fishing in the Sewer! - 02/05/13 08:02 PM

I agree. This is fake. People will do anything to get some hits on youtube.
Posted By: BurrOak

Re: Fishing in the Sewer! - 02/05/13 11:14 PM

Originally Posted By: texcajun

Yep. Its also commonly called "storm sewer". Im a civil engineer, and I design storm drains almost on a daily basis. We commonly call these "storm drains" and "storm sewer" interchangeably. That manhole cover likely has "City of ___ Storm Sewer" stamped on it.

There could easily be water holding in there due to a number of reasons.

The likely scenario is there has been some sedimentation (trash & dirt) built up in the storm drain system. When the downstream pond rises during a large storm event, water can back up into those storm drains (often designed this way on purpose), then fish could swim up into the pipes. Once the water recedes, the fish are stuck behind walls of sedimentation (acting like a dam in the pipes).

Its not that unlikely.

Re: Fishing in the Sewer! - 02/06/13 12:22 AM

I promise this is not fake. MikeHoncho got it right. There is a detention pond about 300 yards away and there is always water in the drain. Next time I need to lift the cap off and go dip netting to prove to yall that is has fish.
Posted By: Laner

Re: Fishing in the Sewer! - 02/06/13 12:25 AM

Wow, some people just can't let a person post something cool.
Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

Re: Fishing in the Sewer! - 02/06/13 03:21 AM

I believe you but would still like to see it done with the lid off...Just sayin...
Posted By: TarponFly

Re: Fishing in the Sewer! - 02/06/13 04:59 PM

I will have to say its true.

In Garland "Duck Creek", ( lived there as a kid) the storm drain has water in it right in front of my house. The drain went from the pond to under the house and to the street like the kids video above. Always had water in it year round and we used to do the same thing he is doing. I could prob do the same thing today at the same place.

Re: Fishing in the Sewer! - 02/06/13 08:55 PM

Originally Posted By: TarponFly
I will have to say its true.

In Garland "Duck Creek", ( lived there as a kid) the storm drain has water in it right in front of my house. The drain went from the pond to under the house and to the street like the kids video above. Always had water in it year round and we used to do the same thing he is doing. I could prob do the same thing today at the same place.

Yep that is exactly like it.
Posted By: Treetopjf

Re: Fishing in the Sewer! - 02/08/13 02:44 AM

Crazy indeed. I can remember years ago when I lived in Chicago, They would have to do something with either backup/floodwater from Lake Michigan or the Chicago River and the newspapers would have pictures of guys fishing in the manholes on the near north side !
Posted By: TJH

Re: Fishing in the Sewer! - 02/08/13 12:35 PM

LOL Bait

Re: Fishing in the Sewer! - 02/09/13 08:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Dr. Hart
LOL Bait

When i can't catch bait in the pond I'll catch them in there.
Posted By: Mudshark

Re: Fishing in the Sewer! - 02/09/13 09:58 PM

If you can catch 20-30 of those lets go catfishing! Nice!

Re: Fishing in the Sewer! - 02/10/13 03:50 PM

Ok.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum