Texas Fishing Forum

what kind of snake (bad pic)

Posted By: Justin B

what kind of snake (bad pic) - 03/17/11 08:52 PM

Sorry guys this was taken with my phone from about 10 or 15ft up on a rock. But these bad boys were every where. What kind are they and are they poisonous

Posted By: Mudshark

Re: what kind of snake (bad pic) - 03/17/11 08:55 PM

It will get better markings as it gets more sun. Looks like a banded water snake to me.
Posted By: nethingthatbites

Re: what kind of snake (bad pic) - 03/17/11 08:56 PM

i would have guessed yellow belly water snake
Posted By: Mudshark

Re: what kind of snake (bad pic) - 03/17/11 08:58 PM

Why did you not try and grab that brick beside it and try to smash it so you could get a better look at it? ...JK
Posted By: Ghost4BH

Re: what kind of snake (bad pic) - 03/17/11 09:06 PM

Copper mouthed banded water cobra moccassin rock rattler.
Posted By: SoonerFan-n-TX

Re: what kind of snake (bad pic) - 03/17/11 09:09 PM

Originally Posted By: BassHook'em
Copper mouthed banded water cobra moccassin rock rattler.

rolfmao
Posted By: Justin B

Re: what kind of snake (bad pic) - 03/17/11 09:19 PM

Originally Posted By: SoonerFan-n-TX
[quote=BassHook'em]Copper mouthed banded water cobra moccassin rock rattler.

I heard about them!!!! banana
Posted By: Ghost4BH

Re: what kind of snake (bad pic) - 03/17/11 09:51 PM

Originally Posted By: jayhc2
Originally Posted By: SoonerFan-n-TX
[quote=BassHook'em]Copper mouthed banded water cobra moccassin rock rattler.

I heard about them!!!! banana

They can be dangerous. I wouldn't have been close enough to get a pic.
Posted By: AgSellers04

Re: what kind of snake (bad pic) - 03/17/11 11:32 PM

That is a diamond backed water snake. The bacteria in their mouth makes their bite very infectious and just as dangerous as a cottonmouth.
Posted By: engine1129

Re: what kind of snake (bad pic) - 03/18/11 12:59 AM

+1 on the banded
Posted By: Pope1

Re: what kind of snake (bad pic) - 03/18/11 01:24 AM

Originally Posted By: AgSellers04
That is a diamond backed water snake. The bacteria in their mouth makes their bite very infectious and just as dangerous as a cottonmouth.

Really? Please post some documentation to support this.

It is a water snake, but it is difficult to determine the species from the photo.
Posted By: Duma

Re: what kind of snake (bad pic) - 03/18/11 02:31 AM

Looks like he poise to catch a fish.
Posted By: DAMFISHERMAN

Re: what kind of snake (bad pic) - 03/18/11 02:40 AM

scared
Posted By: rangerxt

Re: what kind of snake (bad pic) - 03/18/11 02:44 AM

The kind to make me wizz myself!!!!!!
Posted By: nighthob

Re: what kind of snake (bad pic) - 03/18/11 02:45 AM

IMO, It does look like a Diamond Backed water snake due to it's markings on the back and belly. They don't look like the bands you'd see on a Banded or Broad Banned Water Snake. The colors match that of a Diamond Back Water snake. The only thing is, I never heard of is any water snake being just as dangerous as a Cotton Mouth. Don't get me wrong, most reptiles have some sort of bacteria in there mouths, water snakes included, but I didn't think it was THAT bad. Now if it were a Kamodo Dragon, that is a different story. You'd for sure need to go to the doc about that bacteria. I'm am sure not an expert...so I may be wrong. Just my opinion. Over all, just don't get bit. haha
Posted By: Big Red 12

Re: what kind of snake (bad pic) - 03/18/11 12:55 PM

Scary one!
Posted By: Lovfldx

Re: what kind of snake (bad pic) - 03/18/11 01:18 PM

no doubt about it, a non poisonous water snake
Posted By: Lga043

Re: what kind of snake (bad pic) - 03/18/11 01:36 PM

That's the kind you are supposed to put on PETA'S doorstep, they like them and don't want anybody to hurt them!!!
Posted By: texcajun

Re: what kind of snake (bad pic) - 03/18/11 03:56 PM

What ever it is, it is non-venomous.
Posted By: MuskogeeMac

Re: what kind of snake (bad pic) - 03/18/11 06:23 PM

Diamond mouth cotton rattlin moccasin
Posted By: FS0897

Re: what kind of snake (bad pic) - 03/18/11 06:50 PM

It is a diamond backed water snake. Completely harmless but they are kind of aggresive if someone would feel the need to mess with it.
Posted By: District Paddle

Re: what kind of snake (bad pic) - 03/18/11 07:28 PM

Not exactly sure what it is, but I am almost completely certain that it isn't a water moccasin.

In any case, I treat every snake like they are a water moccasin and stay away.
Posted By: Wafflejaw

Re: what kind of snake (bad pic) - 03/18/11 07:31 PM

Its a belt waiting to happen.
Posted By: Monkeetx3912

Re: what kind of snake (bad pic) - 03/18/11 07:43 PM

KAMODO DRAGON I HOPE we dont start seeing dem thangs laying around on the rocks
Posted By: nighthob

Re: what kind of snake (bad pic) - 03/18/11 10:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Wafflejaw
Its a belt waiting to happen.

rolfmao
Posted By: coachnomore

Re: what kind of snake (bad pic) - 03/19/11 05:05 AM

from Genus Nerodia - one of the non-venomous water snakes; could be banded or diamond-backed. NOT a cottonmouth.
Posted By: coachnomore

Re: what kind of snake (bad pic) - 03/19/11 05:06 AM

from Genus Nerodia - one of the non-venomous water snakes; could be banded or diamond-backed. NOT a cottonmouth. Not venomous, but usually meaner than snot. Will cause you to need a tetanus shot!
Posted By: Don Morey

Re: what kind of snake (bad pic) - 03/21/11 01:51 AM

Sorry, no help here. It's just ugly.
Posted By: pmeheran

Re: what kind of snake (bad pic) - 03/22/11 02:20 PM

That is a diamond back water snake. Notice the cross hatch pattern on their back. As they get older, they tend to get darker and the pattern is less noticeable. These water snakes can be meaner than a water moccasin. The head is much narrower than a moccasin's due to no venom sacks. Though non-venomous, always wash the bites thoroughly. Oh, yes, they have strong smelling musk glands, just like a garter snake. Be advised.
Posted By: Jared D.

Re: what kind of snake (bad pic) - 03/22/11 05:00 PM

Originally Posted By: nighthob

IMO, It does look like a Diamond Backed water snake due to it's markings on the back and belly. They don't look like the bands you'd see on a Banded or Broad Banned Water Snake. The colors match that of a Diamond Back Water snake. The only thing is, I never heard of is any water snake being just as dangerous as a Cotton Mouth. Don't get me wrong, most reptiles have some sort of bacteria in there mouths, water snakes included, but I didn't think it was THAT bad. Now if it were a Kamodo Dragon, that is a different story. You'd for sure need to go to the doc about that bacteria. I'm am sure not an expert...so I may be wrong. Just my opinion. Over all, just don't get bit. haha

I totally agree, its hard to tell from the picture but I'm about 90% sure its a diamond backed water snake. I have been bitten by Diamond backed water snakes hundreds of times and never had a problem. This isn't to say that you cant get an infection from them, but I don't think there is anything special about this species to note a difference in there bite and infection rate.
Posted By: AgSellers04

Re: what kind of snake (bad pic) - 03/22/11 06:19 PM

Take my word for it or not, the bite can be very infectious if not properly cared for. I have heard many accounts of persons (especially those with allergies) becoming very ill as a result of these bites. Many people get bitten with no problem and many do not. Diamond Backed Water Snake bites are far more common than Cottonmouth bites as these snakes are far more numerous and can be quite aggressive when agitated.

I often hear claims from people who say they have been bitten hundreds of times by Water Snakes. I highly doubt that they have been bitten hundreds of times by a Cottonmouth. Is this because they are more careful around Cottonmouths or because they come into close contact with far more Water Snakes? I'm thinking the latter.

Are they as dangerous as a Cottonmouth, in terms of how many people get bitten, yes. In terms, proportionally, of how many people require medical attention when bitten, absolutely not.

If bitten by a water snake, just be sure to wash the bite immediately with soap and water and take some benadryl.

Re: what kind of snake (bad pic) - 03/22/11 07:11 PM

I get bit far more often by "Water snakes" because I actively catch snakes while hiking and fishing. I take no real care when I find diamond back water snakes or brown water snakes because I can identify them and when they bite me I don't have a problem. On the other hand I wouldn't pick up any of the poisonous species so my only chance of getting bitten by one is by stepping on one or by total accident. If you notice the second picture you can see the bite mark on my foot. I was using my foot to position the snake to where I could take a picture and he bit me. The second one is not a diamond back water snake though.

Posted By: Mud Shark

Re: what kind of snake (bad pic) - 03/22/11 07:12 PM

water snake
Posted By: wes42

Re: what kind of snake (bad pic) - 03/22/11 07:19 PM

There is only 2 types of snakes
LAND COBRAS &
WATER COBRAS....
Posted By: yellowcatls

Re: what kind of snake (bad pic) - 03/22/11 07:55 PM

SURE NOT A RATTLE MOCCASIN !!! WAIT I KNOW IT IS BARACK OBAMA SUNNING HIMSELF !!!!! BE CAREFUL IT'S BAD ABOUT BITING OF MORE THAN IT CAN CHEW !!!
Posted By: CPRfishing

Re: what kind of snake (bad pic) - 03/22/11 08:14 PM

Ok Jared, you said the second one is not a diamond back water snake, but do you know what kind it is? We had one in our yard the other day that looked a bit like it.

Re: what kind of snake (bad pic) - 03/22/11 08:24 PM

Second one is a blotched water snake Im pretty sure or Banded they both look pretty similar. Pope1 can probably confirm.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum