Texas Fishing Forum

Getting ready for full-time RV/Jeep Living

Posted By: Oilpig

Getting ready for full-time RV/Jeep Living - 05/20/18 05:42 PM

We're 3 weeks from moving out of our house and into our RV for a year of full-time RV travel all over the US. PIcked up the Tiffin Phaeton 40QKH in Hunstville, AL back in March and found the Jeep last weekend here in Houston. Looking forward to a full year of breakfast cartoons on the picnic table and making memories while our lil' girl still thinks we're cool laugh

Posted By: RonL

Re: Getting ready for full-time RV/Jeep Living - 05/20/18 05:47 PM

How cool is that ?! Do you already have an itenarary made for your full trip ? What did you do , win the lottery ?? Well have fun cause your 1 out if a million that have that privilage ! Stay safe , have fun and hopefully you have a good camera and lens coming along on the trip .
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Getting ready for full-time RV/Jeep Living - 05/20/18 08:43 PM

Awesome! It just don't get any better! thumb
Posted By: RangerRong

Re: Getting ready for full-time RV/Jeep Living - 05/21/18 12:32 AM

enjoy
Posted By: Smurfs

Re: Getting ready for full-time RV/Jeep Living - 05/21/18 12:34 AM

Nice Rig, Enjoy! Curious about hitting the lottery also?
Good looking family!
Posted By: gar1970

Re: Getting ready for full-time RV/Jeep Living - 05/21/18 04:47 AM

Originally Posted By: banker-always fishing
Awesome! It just don't get any better! thumb
+1
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Getting ready for full-time RV/Jeep Living - 05/21/18 12:17 PM

You Sir, you are living the dream! Great post! woot
Posted By: Pot licker

Re: Getting ready for full-time RV/Jeep Living - 05/21/18 02:49 PM

Thats too cool!
Posted By: Oldrabbit

Re: Getting ready for full-time RV/Jeep Living - 05/21/18 11:31 PM

Wow, making memories for your little girl.
Have fun and take lots of pictures.
Posted By: crapicat

Re: Getting ready for full-time RV/Jeep Living - 05/22/18 01:11 AM

Sounds like a grand adventure...don’t forget to post up some pics and stories on occasion!
Posted By: GTrigg

Re: Getting ready for full-time RV/Jeep Living - 05/23/18 12:17 AM

Living a dream many have, congrats.... thumb
Posted By: toddfish

Re: Getting ready for full-time RV/Jeep Living - 05/24/18 03:25 AM

cheers
Posted By: wsimpson

Re: Getting ready for full-time RV/Jeep Living - 05/24/18 12:12 PM

Awesome. Travel plan? We took our diesel-pusher cross-country about three or four years ago and on the road for about 7 months. Left from Texas to Colorado; down to Louisianna; up to Buffalo; across to Maine; down the eastern seaboard to Disney World and Fort Myers Beach; then back to Texas. If you have any questions about RV resorts/parks or attractions along our path let me know. When traveling up in the NE, make sure you have several hundred in cash or checks (won't accept debit/credit cards) for tolls - especially thru NY, you pay by the axle including your tow vehicle - recall several being between $100-$200 each.

Have a great and safe trip...
Posted By: Texasredneck70

Re: Getting ready for full-time RV/Jeep Living - 05/24/18 02:40 PM

Get RV roadside assistance and buy a spare tire. In the event of a break down the tow normally run about 1000 to the nearest dealer. My parents did this for about five years.

Barry
Posted By: Fishin' Nut

Re: Getting ready for full-time RV/Jeep Living - 05/24/18 06:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Oilpig
PIcked up the Tiffin Phaeton 40QKH in Hunstville, AL

Should have let me know you were in town. I would have bought lunch.
Posted By: Holzer

Re: Getting ready for full-time RV/Jeep Living - 05/24/18 07:09 PM

I've had 2 neighbors that have done this. Both of them sold their house and everything in it. Then did just what you did/about to do.

Keep us posted with pics.
Safe travels!

Re: Getting ready for full-time RV/Jeep Living - 06/06/18 03:07 AM

Thanks for all of the supportive responses. Sorry for posting and running, been a busy month. Closing on the house in 2 days, been working ourselves dog tires trying purge, pack, and move out of the house.

We don't have a definitive route yet. Going to Ohio for most of July (family). Then we'll head out west all the way to Seattle via WI, MN, SD, WY, MT, ID, then down the west coast, back through AZ, UT, CO on our way to Ohio for the holidays. In January we'll head to FL and work our way up the east coast as spring moves north. Around Memorial Day we'll go through OH, then back to Houston via KY, MO, AR. I figure around 14k miles roundtrip.

No such luck hitting the lottery exactly. I'm fortunate I can take 12 months off (from ExxonMobil as a geologist) and still get full medical benefits while gone and my wife has an amazing job that allows her to work from anywhere making great money helping people reach their health goals. We realize we're extremely fortunate to be able to prioritize spending time as a family and still have financial stability and healthcare.

We're setting up a blog but in the meanwhile anyone can follow along on Instagram via @welchpartyof3 and @pretty.much.winging.it

Packing some spinning and fly gear and will pop in here with pics of our catches from time to time.
Posted By: ShinerInTx

Re: Getting ready for full-time RV/Jeep Living - 06/16/18 04:06 AM

Wow. Congrats. Have fun.
Posted By: retdbasser

Re: Getting ready for full-time RV/Jeep Living - 06/16/18 12:46 PM

Have you looked into Good Sam Road Club? Lots of RV'ers use it.
Posted By: RHP

Re: Getting ready for full-time RV/Jeep Living - 06/21/18 01:58 AM

Mucho envy here.
Posted By: el Rojo

Re: Getting ready for full-time RV/Jeep Living - 06/25/18 03:48 PM

Thanks for all of the supportive responses. Sorry for posting and running, been a busy month. Closing on the house in 2 days, been working ourselves dog tires trying purge, pack, and move out of the house.

We don't have a definitive route yet. Going to Ohio for most of July (family). Then we'll head out west all the way to Seattle via WI, MN, SD, WY, MT, ID, then down the west coast, back through AZ, UT, CO on our way to Ohio for the holidays. In January we'll head to FL and work our way up the east coast as spring moves north. Around Memorial Day we'll go through OH, then back to Houston via KY, MO, AR. I figure around 14k miles roundtrip.

No such luck hitting the lottery exactly. I'm fortunate I can take 12 months off (from ExxonMobil as a geologist) and still get full medical benefits while gone and my wife has an amazing job that allows her to work from anywhere making great money helping people reach their health goals. We realize we're extremely fortunate to be able to prioritize spending time as a family and still have financial stability and healthcare.

We're setting up a blog but in the meanwhile anyone can follow along on Instagram via @welchpartyof3 and @pretty.much.winging.it

Packing some spinning and fly gear and will pop in here with pics of our catches from time to time.

We've done the same thing and are in year 5 on the road. We are retired though.

You might think about changing your itinerary...doing the east coast in the fall to see the leaves change and avoid the spring tornado's. The west coast doesn't see as many severe storms as the east.

Red

Re: Getting ready for full-time RV/Jeep Living - 11/07/18 10:49 PM

Well, not much to report back on the fishing pics. Haven't had a chance to do much fishing aside from a guided wading trip on the Gallatin River northwest of Yellowstone with my father-in-law. Trip on the other hand has been a blast. Knocked out about 8,000 miles since leaving TX at the end of June.

To answer the couple of questions: Yes, got Good Sam, FMCA, KOA, Full-time Families, RV Trip Wizard, Harvest Host, and Coast to Coast memberships. If they discount for it, we have it wink No big changes in itinerary. We asked our daughter where she wanted to spend her 5th birthday and she picked Yellowstone. With that, out west first was set. We'll be headed to Ohio for the holidays then headed to Florida in January to work our way up the east coast.

Here's a map of where we've been: http://www.welchpartyof3.com/map/

If you've never had a chance to unplug for a year, I highly recommend it. I realize we're blessed to have this time to focus on our family and we're learning a lot about how our normal lives impact us inside and out.
Posted By: HFF

Re: Getting ready for full-time RV/Jeep Living - 11/08/18 08:17 PM

cheers
Posted By: el Rojo

Re: Getting ready for full-time RV/Jeep Living - 11/10/18 06:01 PM

To answer the couple of questions: Yes, got Good Sam, FMCA, KOA, Full-time Families, RV Trip Wizard, Harvest Host, and Coast to Coast memberships. If they discount for it, we have it wink No big changes in itinerary.

Here's a map of where we've been: http://www.welchpartyof3.com/map/

If you've never had a chance to unplug for a year, I highly recommend it. I realize we're blessed to have this time to focus on our family and we're learning a lot about how our normal lives impact us inside and out.

The best discount out there Passport America. It's $40 and gives you %50 off at their member RV parks.

Red
Posted By: TLW

Re: Getting ready for full-time RV/Jeep Living - 11/11/18 05:46 PM

Originally Posted By: el Rojo

The best discount out there Passport America. It's $40 and gives you %50 off at their member RV parks.

Red

thumb

jan.. florida (n, s, e, or w.) coast rv parks.. if they have grass check for "stickers" no mater how nice they are! your puppies and daughter will thank you for it....
Posted By: BSanders

Re: Getting ready for full-time RV/Jeep Living - 11/12/18 04:38 PM

Very nice
Posted By: BriannShell

Re: Getting ready for full-time RV/Jeep Living - 11/23/18 07:33 PM

Nice!
Posted By: Trickster

Re: Getting ready for full-time RV/Jeep Living - 11/26/18 04:50 PM

Very cool.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum