Texas Fishing Forum

Newly Hung Cover

Posted By: Sirjet

Newly Hung Cover - 11/01/17 05:32 PM

Is there any particular amount of time before crappie will start hanging out around newly hung structure? Any advise will help.
Posted By: HOGON

Re: Newly Hung Cover - 11/01/17 05:33 PM

I've had them get on new dropped cover within 24 hours before.

Re: Newly Hung Cover - 11/01/17 06:01 PM

What about this. i might get 6 of these.
Posted By: Jig Man

Re: Newly Hung Cover - 11/01/17 06:04 PM

I have caught um the same day...
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Newly Hung Cover - 11/01/17 06:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Sirjet

What about this. i might get 6 of these. Jig Catchers(lol)
Posted By: Cast

Re: Newly Hung Cover - 11/01/17 06:55 PM

Getting a new fishing hole are we? I have access to a section of Rohn 25...

Re: Newly Hung Cover - 11/01/17 07:18 PM

i looked it over Mr. Fishbonz. LOL Note a snag machine. very smooth all over.

Re: Newly Hung Cover - 11/01/17 07:29 PM

Tower sections, bamboo, and lawn chairs. Anything is possible.

Re: Newly Hung Cover - 11/01/17 08:11 PM

i looked it over Mr. Fishbonz. LOL Note a snag machine. very smooth all over.
I`m just kiddin Jet!How large are the sections

Re: Newly Hung Cover - 11/01/17 08:44 PM

8 ft tall 12" x 12"
Posted By: scruboak

Re: Newly Hung Cover - 11/02/17 01:41 AM

I bet those would work but I would grind off as many of those cross sections as I could.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Newly Hung Cover - 11/02/17 08:27 AM

What about this. i might get 6 of these.

Generally, the faster algae grows upon the structure, the better it will hold crappie.

I would use that as a base. Stick branches inside and secure with zip ties. Weight the bottom and deep six it. If you want to make sure it stands up, hang off a dock, or, secure rebar legs at the bottom to make a wider base and slowly lower into position. You should be able to make a dandy brushpile with that.

Re: Newly Hung Cover - 11/02/17 01:46 PM

yes. I am going to sand and grind it to make it a little rough. i could not pass this up.
Posted By: CollinCountyCab

Re: Newly Hung Cover - 11/02/17 02:35 PM

Don't laugh.....To hard for me to explain in post. The tree is so dense do fish go in-between the branches?
The PVC in bucket seems to me that it would hold fish from the bottom to the top. Thoughts?
The truss structure will hold fish in-between the braces?

What about a complete 4 walls of structure? Would the fish hide out in the middle?

Re: Newly Hung Cover - 11/02/17 02:40 PM

looks Like we have an artist in our midst. I think each one has it's perks. I would put a little of all of it.

Re: Newly Hung Cover - 11/02/17 03:11 PM

Originally Posted By: CollinCountyCab
Don't laugh.....To hard for me to explain in post. The tree is so dense do fish go in-between the branches?
The PVC in bucket seems to me that it would hold fish from the bottom to the top. Thoughts?
The truss structure will hold fish in-between the braces?

What about a complete 4 walls of structure? Would the fish hide out in the middle?

On a structure like this, standing vertical, I believe you will have the Smaller fish hide within the structure and the predators will hang close. JMO

Re: Newly Hung Cover - 11/02/17 03:42 PM

OK Mr. Fishbonz. Would you improve your fish size all over if you alternate the depth of the structure?

Re: Newly Hung Cover - 11/02/17 03:44 PM

Where’s Ernest the crappie king? He needs to drop by and comment.

Re: Newly Hung Cover - 11/02/17 04:05 PM

Whenever I used Xmas trees, or any tree for that matter, I thin the branches. The thicker the foliage and branches, the more I trim. I like to cut several sizeable "holes" in the cover to create areas where fish can get under the cover. It creates an ambush point for fish to swim out and attack, then slip quickly back to cover. The thicker cover will hold the baitfish, while the thinner, open areas will hold predators.

I like the truss idea, but I think it can be improved exponentially by adding additional cover horizontally to the vertical shell. Add branches, then skip a few rungs, and add more branches.
Posted By: erittmueller

Re: Newly Hung Cover - 11/02/17 05:25 PM

Also the more shade the better.

Eric

Re: Newly Hung Cover - 11/02/17 05:29 PM

OK Mr. Fishbonz. Would you improve your fish size all over if you alternate the depth of the structure?
PM sent
Posted By: Banker Fisherman

Re: Newly Hung Cover - 11/02/17 05:41 PM

This has turned into a good discussion on placing cover and the options that are available...I just thought I would share this, I saw them heading north on 75 just above Melissa....maybe going to Texoma or somewhere else north...anyone on here????

But man what a great job on the artificial cover...looks to be plastic conduit pipe and good'ol orange buckets with quickcreate.

Re: Newly Hung Cover - 11/03/17 01:41 AM

If you use plastic pipe like above, and after they are built.....lay them down and bundle the pipe tight at the other end and let it set outside in the hot sunshine for a few days. Keep it bundled until you drop it over the side of the boat and use a slip rope so just as it goes under, it releases the pipe. The pipe will stay more vertical. Over time, it will relax some.

It takes some time, but they are much easier to handle, transport and deploy.
Posted By: crope1

Re: Newly Hung Cover - 11/05/17 01:26 AM

I will help you drop those,lol!
Originally Posted By: Fishbonz

What about this. i might get 6 of these. Jig Catchers(lol)

Re: Newly Hung Cover - 11/05/17 02:13 AM

Well the above Trusses have been dropped. I amvery excited about how they will work.
Posted By: Jon

Re: Newly Hung Cover - 11/05/17 04:47 AM

We hung a bunch of green willow in a slip at Ray Hubbard one time and had crappie on it 5 hrs later.
That was the record for us on quick to come to it. Had to quit using willow because the beavers chewed it up and hauled it off about as fast as we could put it down!

Re: Newly Hung Cover - 11/05/17 05:03 AM

Well the above Trusses have been dropped. I amvery excited about how they will work.
Just Watch and see how fast your Jiggin skills improves now woot
Posted By: marschall

Re: Newly Hung Cover - 11/05/17 11:14 AM

Have tried them all . Nothing beats bamboo . We set ours in a five gallon buck set the in concrete . Put the about 6 ft . from the top of bamboo to top of the water . They have working in our slip for two years now . With both minnows and jigs . Pull the line out 6ft . and hang on !
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Newly Hung Cover - 11/05/17 12:21 PM

If it is placed in the right spot, it will hold fish an hour or 2 after being placed.
Posted By: ERNEST PATY

Re: Newly Hung Cover - 11/06/17 10:03 PM

I'm here. I still prefer plastic chairs over all else. Not much to hang up on and the fish will relate to them immediately. The algae will grow on anything but the fish really don't care. The towers will work but will be a constant hangup. I have 9 old chairs at my dock waiting to go swimming right now.

Re: Newly Hung Cover - 11/06/17 10:11 PM

Ernest, do you have multiple chairs on one wire for vertical spacing or just one chair per wire.

Re: Newly Hung Cover - 11/06/17 10:13 PM

We hung a few thing on Saturday. A friend of mine texted me on Sunday morning and told me he was catching fish off them already. It was good to hear.

Re: Newly Hung Cover - 11/07/17 01:51 AM

I fished those chairs we hung Saturday. got hung up 3x today.

Re: Newly Hung Cover - 11/07/17 02:41 PM

Good Morning Kevin. I am not sure on how to fish plastic chairs. but I would approach it like I would any other structure. find the depth and location of the hang up's. Fish close as i can to it. if you avoid it. I guarantee the fish will be there. I call it "A No danger Zone". I always plan on losing jigs. I just get better at tying them on faster. LOL.

Re: Newly Hung Cover - 11/07/17 03:36 PM

I rigged a bunch of rods and left them in the corner next to yours......feel free to have at it.
Posted By: Thumpy

Re: Newly Hung Cover - 11/07/17 05:17 PM

Do you have a picture of how you use them? Tie a bunch together? Or just dump them in a pile?
Posted By: hawghoover

Re: Newly Hung Cover - 11/08/17 01:27 PM

i put them back to back screw together .hung 6 last year.had crappie on them in 2 days! need weight as they will float!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum