Texas Fishing Forum

help buying a locator

Posted By: hawghoover

help buying a locator - 08/31/17 11:34 AM

Humminbird Helix 5 G2 CHIRP GPS Chartplotter iv been looking at this one any ideas in this price range $300. thanks
Posted By: RWCAT

Re: help buying a locator - 08/31/17 12:46 PM

popcorn
Posted By: Jacky Wiggins

Re: help buying a locator - 08/31/17 01:04 PM

I have been using Humminbird products for years now. Several different models of Si and Di. I have a Helix 5 Di GPS unit that I have not had good luck with. Purchased new December 2015. Shorted out from water in screen November of 2016. Replaced by Humminbird after mailing in unit. 2nd unit started having problems with water in screen and replaced February or March of 2017 after long talks with a supervisor. 3rd unit went bad around June and was told they would not replace it a 3rd time. Ask for a supervisor to call me and none did. Humminbird employee told me the 5 series is not water proof and has problems with mositure getting in it. May be worth the extra money to move up in screen size. Have not had any problems with my 7" and 9" models.

Re: help buying a locator - 08/31/17 03:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Jacky Wiggins
I have been using Humminbird products for years now. Several different models of Si and Di. I have a Helix 5 Di GPS unit that I have not had good luck with. Purchased new December 2015. Shorted out from water in screen November of 2016. Replaced by Humminbird after mailing in unit. 2nd unit started having problems with water in screen and replaced February or March of 2017 after long talks with a supervisor. 3rd unit went bad around June and was told they would not replace it a 3rd time. Ask for a supervisor to call me and none did. Humminbird employee told me the 5 series is not water proof and has problems with mositure getting in it. May be worth the extra money to move up in screen size. Have not had any problems with my 7" and 9" models.
ok thanks
Posted By: Fish 68

Re: help buying a locator - 08/31/17 11:10 PM

I have used Hummingbird for years. Have a Helix 5 Di GPS works great but this spring bought a Garmin Striker 7sv like it a lot. Check it out.
Posted By: scruboak

Re: help buying a locator - 08/31/17 11:16 PM

I also have the garmin 7 sv and like it but it is still around 500. I like it better thand the lowrance hook 5 on front of boat about 300.
Posted By: Captain Yakker

Re: help buying a locator - 09/01/17 03:11 AM

Have had both Humminbird and Lowrance units over the last year. Nice thing about Humminbird is that they boot up fast and are ready to go. For some reason, Lowrance takes about 45 seconds or more to load up and go. Just my .02.

Re: help buying a locator - 09/01/17 11:03 AM

yeh i had a Lowrance hook 7 and it boot so slow i took it back.think i will go with the Helix 5g2
Posted By: Fish 68

Re: help buying a locator - 09/01/17 02:19 PM

Garmin 7sv Cabelas online sale 399.99 has Di & Si with 7" screen. Side Vu is GREAT.
Posted By: Desull

Re: help buying a locator - 09/01/17 04:35 PM

I am about to sell one of my Lowrance Elite 7 Chirp units soon. It's less than a year old and in good shape. I just upgraded to a HDS 7 Gen 3. The units are really solid for the money. They can be a little slow but once you get them tuned in they are really good. PM if you are interested.
Posted By: Coop-Dogg

Re: help buying a locator - 09/01/17 11:50 PM

I have a Garmin SV7 at your price range I'm taking off my boat this weekend I up graded pm me if your interested
Posted By: scruboak

Re: help buying a locator - 09/02/17 01:09 AM

I may be interested if hes not
Posted By: Coop-Dogg

Re: help buying a locator - 09/04/17 03:04 AM

Pm sent

Re: help buying a locator - 09/04/17 10:53 AM

thanks guys i think i will just go with the Helix 5 g2.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum