Texas Fishing Forum

3N | Summertime Pattern

Posted By: Three Nails Guide

3N | Summertime Pattern - 08/10/17 03:10 AM

Summertime Pattern

Well we have slowed down here at Three Nails Guide. Partly because of school starting i thank and all. I wanted to take some time to share with you somethings we do to put crappie in the boat.

I like to start out by saying I'm all about keeping things simple, quick, easy and to the point.

You don't have to spend hundreds of dollars to crappie fish.

Here are some things that I do that work for me, that you can try out for yourself and see if it works for you.

Summertime is a time when weather is settled down and is consistent from day to day. Now that crappie have moved out to deeper water on brush, timber,points and humps. Crappie have been feeding on bait all summer they are full and for the most part in good shape.

Water temps have warmed up to 85 degrees plus. Now a percentage of the crappie are not very active (don't want to bite).

So we are looking for the aggressive fish fish (crappie that want to bite). You may pull up to a brush pile and it have 50 or more crappie on it. But only two or three crappie may bite. The only thing you can do is move. We fish a spot 5-10 minutes then move to another location (brush, timber...)

One of the biggest mistakes i see crappie fishermen do this time of year is stay in one spot to long. A lot of times we pull up to a spot and let down, then wham you get hit by an aggressive fish. We get hit fast the first minute or two that is the aggressive fish you are looking for this time of year.

Now sometimes you can downsize your bait or try live bait (minnows). I have seen minnows turn crappie on at times.

I am not a finesse fisherman. With that being said I'm not going to fish a lite jig head and try to talk them into biting.
It's just not my style.

I have found that 90% percent of the time they are going to bite it or not.

Color this time of year doesn't matter to me. I'm not big on colors... black and chartreuse or white and chartreuse will get it done. Again this is from my experience and what i do.

Now mature crappie, a crappie a pound and half and up. I believe these fish habits change. They are more vulnerable to weather and weather changes. Feeding habits also change too. I've seen this a lot on Lake Fork.

Again the crappie is going to hit the bait or not this time of year. That's not to stay that i will come back to the same spot and try it again 4-6 hours later.

Majority of the time, when we are fishing a pile shallower than the thermocline. We are fishing a foot off the bottom. Most of our fish come a 1-2 foot off the bottom.

Remember, as I wrap this up. Keep on the move! Cover a lot of water by the end of the day.

I hopes this helps some people out.

Thanks
God Bless

Mark
Posted By: Slewfoot

Re: 3N | Summertime Pattern - 08/10/17 03:34 AM

Well said!!! I don't see how y'all fish 8-10 days in a row! I went 3 days in a row last week and had to go to work a couple days to rest up!! roflmao
Posted By: Bobcat1

Re: 3N | Summertime Pattern - 08/10/17 03:43 AM

Nice post Mark! Thanks for the tips. thumb
Posted By: crope1

Re: 3N | Summertime Pattern - 08/10/17 05:13 AM

great info right there!
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: 3N | Summertime Pattern - 08/10/17 07:43 AM

clap
Posted By: HOGON

Re: 3N | Summertime Pattern - 08/10/17 08:26 AM

fish woot flag
Posted By: Pintail711

Re: 3N | Summertime Pattern - 08/10/17 11:00 AM

good info.. thanks bud
Posted By: Action_Jackson

Re: 3N | Summertime Pattern - 08/10/17 01:35 PM

Nice report 3N cheers...Keep it moving and STAY ready for the thump thumb thumb
Posted By: RWCAT

Re: 3N | Summertime Pattern - 08/10/17 01:45 PM

GREAT Information!!!
Posted By: canyoncreek06

Re: 3N | Summertime Pattern - 08/11/17 02:46 AM

Good stuff. Thanks for sharing. I have to remember to keep moving. I just don't have that many spots located yet. But, I'm getting there. Finding a couple more spots each trip. My pattern has been the same in catching a couple at a spot and then nothing. Did you ever get a chance to try those baits I left?

>E

Re: 3N | Summertime Pattern - 08/14/17 02:09 AM

Originally Posted By: Slewfoot
Well said!!! I don't see how y'all fish 8-10 days in a row! I went 3 days in a row last week and had to go to work a couple days to rest up!! roflmao
Originally Posted By: Slewfoot

It's tuff sometimes. coolio

Re: 3N | Summertime Pattern - 08/14/17 02:13 AM

Thank guys hope it helps some guys out
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: 3N | Summertime Pattern - 08/14/17 03:00 AM

Nice post! cheers
Posted By: Sandblaster

Re: 3N | Summertime Pattern - 08/14/17 04:13 AM

Good post Mark!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum