Texas Fishing Forum

I think I'm done.....

Posted By: ERNEST PATY

I think I'm done..... - 07/22/17 06:32 PM

until fall. It's just too hot for my old body. Fished twice this week and caught 50-60 fish each time, mostly small, but was totally bored. Maybe in a couple of months the bigger fish will start biting.

Posted By: PKfishin

Re: I think I'm done..... - 07/22/17 07:10 PM

I hear you on that heat Ernest. I only fish at night now. It's just too hot and I don't get around fast enough to go early.
Posted By: BrazosRiverTom

Re: I think I'm done..... - 07/22/17 07:37 PM

Same here, I have been working on my boat almost everyday since the beginning of April and now that it is just about ready to go, it has gotten to hot. I only have a couple of more things to do to the motor, then check out the bearings on the trailer and I be ready.
Posted By: HOGON

Re: I think I'm done..... - 07/22/17 08:05 PM

That Sun has no doubt been brutal.

Sunscreen and lots of water!
Posted By: TexExp

Re: I think I'm done..... - 07/22/17 08:36 PM

Ditto!

Lavon is 25:1 dinks
Posted By: keyboard

Re: I think I'm done..... - 07/22/17 10:32 PM

Ernest,Ernest, Ernest. No need to quit just run over to Home Depot and get one of those porta-cool air conditioner units for the toon. Thinking about puttin one on my toon.

Re: I think I'm done..... - 07/22/17 10:56 PM

The AC unit might work but will it make the bigger fish bite?
Posted By: pepop

Re: I think I'm done..... - 07/22/17 11:04 PM

Originally Posted By: keyboard
Ernest,Ernest, Ernest. No need to quit just run over to Home Depot and get one of those porta-cool air conditioner units for the toon. Thinking about puttin one on my toon.

Then Ernest all you'll need to step up to Larry's level is a Blender for the Frozen Margarita's and a 32" color TV to displace the boredom! flehan flehan thumb
Posted By: Bruce Bullard

Re: I think I'm done..... - 07/23/17 01:50 AM

Originally Posted By: pepop

Then Ernest all you'll need to step up to Larry's level is a Blender for the Frozen Margarita's and a 32" color TV to displace the boredom! flehan flehan thumb

This will definitely take care of boredom. Just think of all the company you will have.
Posted By: Jacob

Re: I think I'm done..... - 07/23/17 01:58 AM

Originally Posted By: ERNEST PATY
The AC unit might work but will it make the bigger fish bite?

Point one of the vents towards the water. Those fish be following you around to cool off. grin
Posted By: DFW-fisherman

Re: I think I'm done..... - 07/23/17 12:53 PM

Ernest - sounds like a great mod. Let me know when you want to pull the trigger! But, we got to work in the morning only.
Posted By: The Crappie Guy

Re: I think I'm done..... - 07/23/17 01:19 PM

until fall. It's just too hot for my old body. Fished twice this week and caught 50-60 fish each time, mostly small, but was totally bored. Maybe in a couple of months the bigger fish will start biting.

Quitter flush
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: I think I'm done..... - 07/23/17 02:04 PM

Tom: Let me know when you get that boat fixed. We'll go find some docks with mercury lights holding lots of fish.
Posted By: Davedave

Re: I think I'm done..... - 07/23/17 03:24 PM

Originally Posted By: The Crappie Guy

Quitter flush

I agree. They're a bunch of quitters. I'm not quitting. I can cool off in November.

Re: I think I'm done..... - 07/23/17 06:31 PM

PK, sounds good to me. Looks like it will be done as soon as the temp hits 106°. grin
Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

Re: I think I'm done..... - 07/23/17 09:57 PM

Can I barrow one of your two Bimini Tops....I can stand the heat. It is the sun that is kicking me in the rump.

Here is what I have been doing to beat the heat. Fish, swim, swim fish thumb

She doesn't know we are parked on top of a brush pile roflmao

Posted By: gborg

Re: I think I'm done..... - 07/24/17 11:29 AM

Unless one fishes for black bass or fishes at night, the heat sucks the life out of you!
Posted By: Big_CatEM

Re: I think I'm done..... - 07/24/17 03:05 PM

I enjoyed going out with you last Thursday morning, even if they were smalls. One more evening shift tonight til midnight, then off Tues/Wed. May head out to the slips one of those mornings.

Can't blame ya on the heat and smalls, but smalls are better (and funner) than nothing this time of year. I need a break from this job and storms (again) too when I can get it.

Re: I think I'm done..... - 07/24/17 03:06 PM

Originally Posted By: TexExp

Ditto!

Lavon is 25:1 dinks

Same with Lewisville, and just about anywhere I'm sure outside of Grapevine and Texoma, which have a ton of deeper, cooler water.

Re: I think I'm done..... - 07/24/17 03:07 PM

Originally Posted By: pepop

Now this is a good idea, but not sure about morning trips. LOL

Re: I think I'm done..... - 07/31/17 11:42 PM

Heading to the Office first thing Wednesday morning most likely if anyone wants to fish around the slips (or if brush pile enthusiasts need a partner).

Either way, just being away from the rat race at home and work will be therapeutic. noidea peep cheers

Re: I think I'm done..... - 08/01/17 10:37 AM

Eric - I'm putting my boat back in water today, so probably will not make it Wed. Weather indicates possible rain. What do you think?

Re: I think I'm done..... - 08/01/17 11:54 AM

Originally Posted By: DFW-fisherman
Eric - I'm putting my boat back in water today, so probably will not make it Wed. Weather indicates possible rain. What do you think?

Yes, rain chances will increase Wednesday, then again Friday into the weekend. That said, no severe weather is expected and this will be your more generic showers with maybe a few isolated, weak thunderstorms embedded in there from time to time. Outside of a few lightning strikes, it won't be a big deal at all compared to what we've since since March.
Posted By: zig-zag

Re: I think I'm done..... - 08/01/17 02:30 PM

grinSeems to me from the post I read it confirms what I said awhile back. The lakes around Dallas, Ft.worth, the over fishing has left mainly small fish. We need a limit of 15 or 12.Maybe a 11 or 12 in.size limit. IN two or three years you would see a bigger avg. fish. 2cents

Re: I think I'm done..... - 08/01/17 02:31 PM

grinSeems to me from the post I read it confirms what I said awhile back. The lakes around Dallas, Ft.worth, the over fishing has left mainly small fish. We need a limit of 15 or 12.Maybe a 11 or 12 in.size limit. IN two or three years you would see a bigger avg. fish. 2cents

Re: I think I'm done..... - 08/01/17 02:33 PM

Sorry for the double click loco
Posted By: erittmueller

Re: I think I'm done..... - 08/01/17 04:18 PM

There are still plenty of keepers, it's not at all bad like you are saying. There are far more small fish because of the spawns the last few years, the higher water prevented a lot of people from catching a lot so there was way more reproduction. But, small fish tend to school with small fish and bigger fish tend to school with bigger fish. Mixing still occurs but mostly holds true. If you're only catching small fish you need to move, even to a different part of your pile. You may have one spot on a pile where you pull off 15 keepers and anywhere else on the pile you get dinks. Just move til you find the keepers.

Eric

Re: I think I'm done..... - 08/01/17 04:52 PM

True if you're in a boat and on brush piles, Eric. In my case, I'll be wandering up isle "M" at the office just happy to get anything. roflmao

Re: I think I'm done..... - 08/01/17 06:30 PM

bananaI agree about the good spawns,however were I fish you pull up on a pile you catch bigger fish first. Then if you keep fishing the smaller they get. and at the end of summer if you keep hammering the pile all you catch is dinks.So I only catch 5 or 6 and move. the pile stays loaded all summer.Not as hard to catch either.This works for me, you might try that on one or two of your spots and see what happens.I can always tell if someone has found them, smalls forever, frkazoid Owell it is still better than Bass, throw and throw------ect.We all have a Good God that has given us a places to fish,AMEN Good Fishing to all. fish
Posted By: DONLAUNDRY

Re: I think I'm done..... - 08/03/17 12:48 AM

I agree with Ernest. It is just too hot for my Old Bald self.
Got my boat fixed up and ready but I ain't... Stay cool y'all...😓
Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

Re: I think I'm done..... - 08/03/17 02:14 AM

It has been nice lately for the time of year. Take advantage of it.
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: I think I'm done..... - 08/03/17 02:05 PM

The dinks tend to be worst on bridges and brush... Get away from those and you will find better fish.

Re: I think I'm done..... - 08/05/17 03:00 PM

Originally Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

It has been nice lately for the time of year. Take advantage of it.

This ^^^^

He's right. This is going to be one of the Top 10, if not Top 5 wettest Summers on record. The unusual upper level pattern has kept the usually intense upper ridge well west of here over the West Coast (see highs in CA, OR, and WA).

It's also helped with some cooler days, especially the more rainy ones. Enjoy it while you can, because I doubt we'll see this anomaly two Summers in a row.

Re: I think I'm done..... - 08/05/17 04:03 PM

I guess I might be willing to give it a try.

Re: I think I'm done..... - 08/05/17 04:47 PM

Yes Mr. Paty, it does not take to long to get even more bored sitting at the house, reading about everyone else catching fish. smile

Re: I think I'm done..... - 08/07/17 12:54 PM

I agree, there is a lot of things that are worse than fishing on the lake for crappie! Heat - fish the morning! Too many dinks - try other locations! I found the big ones on LL in 12 FOW, close to the bottom, and about 20 away from a brush pile! Who would have thought the 15" ones would be in 12 FOW this time of the year. I was using large (4") white roadrunner style tails to catch the big ones.

I think it is about persistence! Have fun and enjoy the Texas summer weather!
Posted By: Captain Yakker

Re: I think I'm done..... - 08/09/17 04:34 PM

Originally Posted By: DFW-fisherman
I found the big ones on LL in 12 FOW, close to the bottom, and about 20 away from a brush pile! Who would have thought the 15" ones would be in 12 FOW this time of the year. I was using large (4") white roadrunner style tails to catch the big ones.

I'm still new to crappie fishing in general and I know they tend to stack vertically on the graph. When you locate them away from structure like you described, are they typically in a vertical pattern out in the open water?

Since I fish out of a kayak these days, I have limited water I can cover and therefore I want to maximize my success by thoroughly fishing the water I can cover on a given outing.

Thanks,

Greg
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum