Texas Fishing Forum

Limestone crappie

Posted By: shady L

Limestone crappie - 07/17/17 01:11 PM

Thinking about buying a place on Limestone, how is the crappie fishing on the lake?
Posted By: SLABXPRESS

Re: Limestone crappie - 07/17/17 02:21 PM

That lake can be REALLY tough for crappie in the summer. Lots of timber to fish, but with lake levels up and recent rains most of it is hard to find unless you've got it marked already. I would stick with the South end. The North end will be muddy with the recent heavy rains just north of there. Focus on the 2-3 feeder creek arms on that south end and fish timber in 15-20' water. Get minnows, or you'll be disappointed.
I've lived close to Limestone since it was impounded. It's always been a hit and miss crappie lake. If you get a place there and start making brush piles, you can have success though. It's a much better catfish lake more than anything else.
My 2 cents...
Posted By: dwmoore

Re: Limestone crappie - 07/17/17 06:47 PM

Buy a place on Palestine an you will be a lot happier if you like catchin fish 12 months out of the yr.
Posted By: Coach Hark

Re: Limestone crappie - 07/17/17 08:16 PM

Welcome to the forum and ANY place on A lake is good. Put you out some piles and you'll catch crappie.
Posted By: Shaffer State Farm

Re: Limestone crappie - 07/17/17 09:19 PM

We've been at limestone for 6 years down south by the damn... the first 5 were really tough finding fish. Have a few piles now that consistently hold fish, more to come this winter. When the lake was low for a couple of years it seemed to have taken a toll on the fish, or at least the locals say that have fished the lake forever.

No boat traffic during the week, great values for real estate, and decent fishing. Not a bad combo.....
Posted By: crope1

Re: Limestone crappie - 07/18/17 08:33 AM

Originally Posted By: shady L
Thinking about buying a place on Limestone, how is the crappie fishing on the lake?
welcome to the forum!
Posted By: DFW-fisherman

Re: Limestone crappie - 07/18/17 11:00 AM

welcome
Posted By: shady L

Re: Limestone crappie - 07/18/17 11:27 AM

Thanks lots of good info on this forum
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum