Texas Fishing Forum

Friendly Fishermen

Posted By: Jezreel

Friendly Fishermen - 07/08/17 02:01 AM

I have only had my boat for a little over a month. The learning curve is HUGE! ! ! I have yet to graduate to brush piles and standing timber. Tried the standing timber with no success, and I can't find any brush piles. I am still working the bridge pylons. I reckon that is like having training wheels.

Anyway, I was at Lewisville Lake today fishing the Little Elm bridge. I read a thread yesterday about it, so I thought I'd give it a try. I'm working one set of pylons while another man is working the set next to me. He is pulling them out left and right, and I am not even getting a bump! He gave me as much info as he could, but I was still having trouble. He finished up his day, and decided to leave but before he did, he came over to give me a couple of Slab Bandits that he had been using. I don't know if it was the slab bandits, or I finally figured it out, but I finally started catching a few.

The long and short of it is. . . It sure is great when you meet guys like that on the lake! He could have laughed at this rookie and went on his way, but he did all he could to help me out, even giving me a couple of his plastics.

I will certainly pay this one forward when I can!

Thanks a bunch Friendly Fisherman! ! !
Posted By: canyoncreek06

Re: Friendly Fishermen - 07/08/17 02:04 AM

Good stuff.

>E
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Friendly Fishermen - 07/08/17 02:18 AM

clap

Nothing wrong with a Slab Bandit.

It can be that way sometimes...the right color turns a couple of fish on, which in turn excites all the fish around them to bite.
When fishing bridges, find the cross beam and fish at that depth, or just below it. Once you get a bite, mark your line with a marker so you can drop it right back at the same depth.

Re: Friendly Fishermen - 07/08/17 02:29 AM

Well, there ya go! Something as simple as putting a mark on my line. So simple, but never thought of that👍

I will start carrying a Sharpie with me.
Posted By: Paths

Re: Friendly Fishermen - 07/08/17 02:41 AM

It's always nice to be given a hand.
Posted By: MilesHunter

Re: Friendly Fishermen - 07/08/17 02:56 AM

Originally Posted By: Gamblinman
Once you get a bite, mark your line with a marker so you can drop it right back at the same depth.

thumb I didn't have a marker the other day so I used my wife's eye liner. bannana2
Posted By: Bobcat1

Re: Friendly Fishermen - 07/08/17 03:30 AM

cheers That is why I love this forum!
Posted By: RWCAT

Re: Friendly Fishermen - 07/08/17 01:26 PM

thumb

Re: Friendly Fishermen - 07/08/17 01:46 PM

Surprisingly, that mark on the line at this time of the year works just about everywhere, plus or minus a few feet. when I fish a new hole and get a bite, first think I look for is the mark on my line and where it is in reference to my rod so I can drop it right back at the same depth. My dad used a piece of rubber band for years before markers.
Posted By: Ranger481

Re: Friendly Fishermen - 07/08/17 03:14 PM

banana
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Friendly Fishermen - 07/08/17 03:15 PM

Good stuff. thumb
Posted By: SGT BALLARD

Re: Friendly Fishermen - 07/08/17 10:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Jezreel
Well, there ya go! Something as simple as putting a mark on my line. So simple, but never thought of that👍

I'm sure you could use a slip knot to mark your depth as well, even if you didn't use a cork. I'm just thinking out loud, so please correct me if i'm wrong. I'm learning myself as well...

Re: Friendly Fishermen - 07/08/17 11:34 PM

Originally Posted By: SGT BALLARD

I'm sure you could use a slip knot to mark your depth as well, even if you didn't use a cork. I'm just thinking out loud, so please correct me if i'm wrong. I'm learning myself as well...

That'll work.
Posted By: Fish 68

Re: Friendly Fishermen - 07/10/17 04:01 PM

Jezreel, Just checked the TFF this morning and read your post. You are welcome. Hope those Slab Bandits work out for you. I use the string bobber stops to mark my line depth. You can buy them at Bass Pro. Good luck with those Slab Bandits.
Posted By: bogey♂

Re: Friendly Fishermen - 07/10/17 09:48 PM

I've circled in red where you can stop your line at the depth that you are catching if you would like to try it. When you are not catching at that depth you can remove it and place back when you find the new depth. Hope that this makes sense.
Posted By: Captain Yakker

Re: Friendly Fishermen - 07/10/17 10:11 PM

Originally Posted By: bogey♂

I've circled in red where you can stop your line at the depth that you are catching if you would like to try it. When you are not catching at that depth you can remove it and place back when you find the new depth. Hope that this makes sense.

I recently watched a YT video where someone said that was the purpose of that clip. I grew up thinking it was to wrap the end of your line around (in lieu of a spool knot) when you put your line on the reel. Good news is, I found out the other day there's enough room for it to do both functions at the same time.
Posted By: BAIT956

Re: Friendly Fishermen - 07/10/17 10:52 PM

Now that Bogey is a good tip. Like CY I have used it as a line holder, but now another use too. Thanks.

Re: Friendly Fishermen - 07/11/17 12:06 AM

Fish 68. . . I'm laughing at your comment, "hoping those slab bandits worked out." I came home, got on line and ordered 5 packs and some 1/8oz sickle hook jig heads. Just got them in the mail today! WooHooooo! ! !

Thanks so much!

John
Posted By: Carver

Re: Friendly Fishermen - 07/11/17 12:08 AM

That Pflueger President is on sale right now at Cabellas for $39 down from $59. I may have to add another couple to the fleet.
Posted By: Ken Gaby

Re: Friendly Fishermen - 07/11/17 01:42 AM

Be careful using that line tab. For mono or fluoro, if your line is resting against that tab and not the spool when you set the hook, you will eventually damage or cut the mono/fluoro.
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: Friendly Fishermen - 07/11/17 02:24 AM

Fish 68. . . I'm laughing at your comment, "hoping those slab bandits worked out." I came home, got on line and ordered 5 packs and some 1/8oz sickle hook jig heads. Just got them in the mail today! WooHooooo! ! !

Thanks so much!

John

Love the Slab Bandits. But just so you will know the magic color changes for crappie all the time.

That's why we all have so many soft plastics in the boat.
Posted By: crope1

Re: Friendly Fishermen - 07/11/17 06:27 AM

I have only had my boat for a little over a month. The learning curve is HUGE! ! ! I have yet to graduate to brush piles and standing timber. Tried the standing timber with no success, and I can't find any brush piles. I am still working the bridge pylons. I reckon that is like having training wheels.

Anyway, I was at Lewisville Lake today fishing the Little Elm bridge. I read a thread yesterday about it, so I thought I'd give it a try. I'm working one set of pylons while another man is working the set next to me. He is pulling them out left and right, and I am not even getting a bump! He gave me as much info as he could, but I was still having trouble. He finished up his day, and decided to leave but before he did, he came over to give me a couple of Slab Bandits that he had been using. I don't know if it was the slab bandits, or I finally figured it out, but I finally started catching a few.

The long and short of it is. . . It sure is great when you meet guys like that on the lake! He could have laughed at this rookie and went on his way, but he did all he could to help me out, even giving me a couple of his plastics.

I will certainly pay this one forward when I can!

Thanks a bunch Friendly Fisherman! ! !
welcome to the forum! That is what this FORUM is suppose to be about.
Posted By: crope1

Re: Friendly Fishermen - 07/11/17 06:29 AM

Originally Posted By: Fish 68
Jezreel, Just checked the TFF this morning and read your post. You are welcome. Hope those Slab Bandits work out for you. I use the string bobber stops to mark my line depth. You can buy them at Bass Pro. Good luck with those Slab Bandits.
welcome to the forum! Very nice gesture.
Posted By: DFW-fisherman

Re: Friendly Fishermen - 07/11/17 11:26 AM

welcome to both of you!

Totally agree about the value of this forum! I have learned sooo much here; hats off to a bunch of you! azn

flag texas

Re: Friendly Fishermen - 07/11/17 11:27 AM

Oh yea, those reels are great, and I am heading to Cabella's for another one today. Thanks for the tip about the same! thumb

Re: Friendly Fishermen - 07/11/17 11:31 AM

Jezreel - get several bags of "sour grape" color; I learned that from Benny Darby many years ago, and he knows his stuff about catching crappie!
Posted By: BlueNitro

Re: Friendly Fishermen - 07/11/17 01:14 PM

Originally Posted By: SGT BALLARD

I use a bobber stopper string on my rods with mono because they are hard to mark and see. You can also slide them up and down the line as needed.

Re: Friendly Fishermen - 07/11/17 02:19 PM

I just received 2 pkg black/char, 1 pkg ea baby Crappie, Texas toast and sun perch. A little variety. I'll have to re-order and get some sour grape. Thanks!
Posted By: Fish 68

Re: Friendly Fishermen - 07/11/17 04:03 PM

I agree with Ken Gaby. I'm only a Texas green horn been fishing for 60 years. Have a comment about using the spool line clip to set your depth. Be careful how you clip on your line. If a 5 lbs. Bass hits your jig you have a broken pole or line.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum