Texas Fishing Forum

Grapevine heating up

Posted By: Guide Benny Dabney

Grapevine heating up - 06/24/17 08:02 AM

Been having nice trips to the vine as of late but as soon as it gets hot the fish turn on year after year. Sour grape Slab Bandits are once again the bait of choice again in 18 to 25 ft of water on brush. The wind has been a killer this year but today was a perfect day to fish.
Posted By: Bobcat1

Re: Grapevine heating up - 06/24/17 11:13 AM

Attaboy Benny! cheers
Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

Re: Grapevine heating up - 06/24/17 12:04 PM

Great report Benny
Posted By: MilesHunter

Re: Grapevine heating up - 06/24/17 04:02 PM

Good job Benny! cheers

Grapevine has been feast or famine for me. I haven't found much brush on the south side of the lake. Almost all of the crappie I've caught on Grapevine have been off of rock piles or rocky drop offs. Standing timber has been a ghost town. Found a couple open water schools but they were on the move. I hope the heat does exactly what you are saying.

And thumb on the sour grape Slab Bandits.
Posted By: crope1

Re: Grapevine heating up - 06/24/17 05:04 PM

Thanks for the report!
Posted By: DFW-fisherman

Re: Grapevine heating up - 06/24/17 06:10 PM

Welcome back Benny! Thanks for the report. Will be hitting the Vine in a week or two.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Grapevine heating up - 06/26/17 01:02 AM

Nice fish. thumb
Posted By: BlueNitro

Re: Grapevine heating up - 06/26/17 07:48 PM

Man do you put your clients on the fish as always!!!! thumb Anyone who wants to fish Grapevine needs to give you a call!

Me and a buddy hit the Vine on Sunday and caught lots of fish but not near as many keepers as you. I did lose a 2lb plus crappie at the boat. Good talking to you too as always.

It was funny that we could only catch one or two off each pile and then they would shut down. I figured out why when I got hot (thanks to the blue bikini on the wakeboard boat that kept passing by me at 20 yards lizard ) and jumped into the water to cool down. I could hear how loud my in-hull/2d transducer was and would guess that is what is making them shut-down. Easy fix though - I just need to put the FF on Stand-by and I should be good.
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Grapevine heating up - 06/26/17 08:53 PM

The fish finder ping isn't what is making them tough to catch. That's just how they get this time of year. Minnows go a long ways.
Posted By: Guide Benny Dabney

Re: Grapevine heating up - 06/26/17 09:04 PM

Not saying minnows don't help I just NEVER use them. I am a jig fisherman and using minnows is not for me on Grapevine. I have caught thousands of fish off that lake with sour grape slab bandits. They work big time there and most other lakes I fish...
Posted By: ERNEST PATY

Re: Grapevine heating up - 06/26/17 10:04 PM

Nice catch Benny. Glad your back.

I'll bet lunch that you never tried anything but "Sour Grape". roflmao
Posted By: The Crappie Guy

Re: Grapevine heating up - 06/27/17 12:15 PM

thumb thumb Nice catch. We need to get together and fish sometime.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum