Texas Fishing Forum

Question ON BOARD CHARGERS?

Posted By: Dadsthatlove2fish

Question ON BOARD CHARGERS? - 06/05/17 02:46 PM

I wanted to get a few opinions.

I have a 3 bank charger that just went out on me. I wanted to hear from a few of you as too which brand would be best as far as charging ability, longevity, durability, best for the money? I see some of these can get up to $300 bucks I was thinking $100-150. Plan on getting on in the next few days, any advice would be helpful?
Posted By: SoonerDG

Re: Question ON BOARD CHARGERS? - 06/05/17 02:52 PM

I just put a pro-mariner on my boat. According to the guy at BPS these are made by one of the big name companies (can't remember which). He said it's the best charger for the money. Haven't had it that long so I guess we'll see.
Posted By: MAK747

Re: Question ON BOARD CHARGERS? - 06/05/17 05:21 PM

I have a Minnkota charger and have had no issues in the 6 years that I've owned it. There are several good chargers on the market. Whichever one you choose, make sure it has the charging profiles needed for your current batteries and the ones you may change to in the future.
Posted By: T-Rig Ranger

Re: Question ON BOARD CHARGERS? - 06/05/17 07:24 PM

I installed a new MinnKota charger a couple of months ago. The MinnKota does allow you to set each bank to the specific battery type you are running. I went with the 10amp/bank model which does charge a bit slower than the 15 amp. It will put a full charge on well drained batteries in about 8-10 hrs. This has not been an issue thus far but can see where some may need the extra quick charge time.
Posted By: THarris22

Re: Question ON BOARD CHARGERS? - 06/05/17 07:28 PM

Do you leave your chargers plug in most of the time or just before you go fish?
Posted By: 184Champion

Re: Question ON BOARD CHARGERS? - 06/05/17 07:41 PM

I have the 3 bank Minn Kota and I leave mine plugged in all the time. I have no issues.
Posted By: Dadsthatlove2fish

Re: Question ON BOARD CHARGERS? - 06/05/17 08:28 PM

I usually plug it in right when I get back from the lake for about 3-4 hours. I have a Guest 3 bank 5 amp 5 5 5 right now, not turning on at all. Was looking at the 3 bank pro mariners 20 amp is like $150 at Bass Pro Shops.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Question ON BOARD CHARGERS? - 06/05/17 08:34 PM

Originally Posted By: SoonerDG
I just put a pro-mariner on my boat. According to the guy at BPS these are made by one of the big name companies (can't remember which). He said it's the best charger for the money. Haven't had it that long so I guess we'll see.

Promariner charger

I'll second the Promariner. This is the one I'm using and its pretty much trouble free. Here's a 20amp 3 bank that fits right in your budget.
Posted By: MAK747

Re: Question ON BOARD CHARGERS? - 06/05/17 10:35 PM

I plug mine in when I get back from the lake an then unplug it about 24 hours later. The night before I go to the lake, I plug it in to make sure they are fully charged. You can keep it plugged in all the time, I just don't see the need in it. I have battery disconnect switches on both the starting and trolling batteries so there is no possibility of anything draining them.
Posted By: Ken Gaby

Re: Question ON BOARD CHARGERS? - 06/05/17 11:03 PM

Take a look at Dual Pro, Pro Charging Systems http://www.dualpro.com
Not cheap, but you buy just once. And if something goes wrong, it's completely repairable. I have the Sportsman Series 3 bank, 10 amp per bank. Charges and conditions the batteries. My batteries last about 2 yrs longer using this charger. Look around on their web site and read about charging batteries. Also look at other sites about how to properly charge batteries. Makes a difference how the charger operates.
Posted By: cantcatch5

Re: Question ON BOARD CHARGERS? - 06/05/17 11:33 PM

I have a 17 year old Dual Pro 3 bank.
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Question ON BOARD CHARGERS? - 06/06/17 12:28 AM

Originally Posted By: cantcatch5
I have a 17 year old Dual Pro 3 bank.
Got that Same Dual Pro 15 amp 3banker.Had it for years! It just keeps on Chargin & chargin.Good product thumb
Posted By: cantcatch5

Re: Question ON BOARD CHARGERS? - 06/06/17 12:41 AM

Yes sir! Mechanically it is still working great but I have seen that the plastic on it is getting brittle. That battery compartment is a pretty rough environment with the heat and fumes.
Posted By: RODS454

Re: Question ON BOARD CHARGERS? - 06/06/17 12:52 AM

Originally Posted By: tmd11111
Originally Posted By: SoonerDG

Promariner charger

I'll second the Promariner. This is the one I'm using and its pretty much trouble free. Here's a 20amp 3 bank that fits right in your budget.

I now see my Fathers Day gift! Thanks Guys
Posted By: ABomb

Re: Question ON BOARD CHARGERS? - 06/07/17 11:43 AM

I've had a Pro Mariner for 6 years. Works like it should. Seems like Dual Pro is another good one.

My suggestion.... upgrade on Amp output AND go to mfg website to download owners manual BEFORE purchase.
Posted By: Lazy Ike

Re: Question ON BOARD CHARGERS? - 06/08/17 11:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Dadsthatlove2fish
I wanted to get a few opinions.

I have a 3 bank charger that just went out on me. I wanted to hear from a few of you as too which brand would be best as far as charging ability, longevity, durability, best for the money? I see some of these can get up to $300 bucks I was thinking $100-150. Plan on getting on in the next few days, any advice would be helpful?
Glad you put this up, have question about my 3 bank, itr a BPS 5 5 5 , it powers up but has 2 blue lights one yellow that are blinking.According to guy at bass pro may be defective?. Any help or info on this would be appriacated, guys. Boat is new to me .
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum