Texas Fishing Forum

Green lights for Crappie

Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Green lights for Crappie - 06/02/17 03:07 PM

I'm installing four 16' strips of green L.E.D.'s on the bottom of my pontoon boat, should be very bright. Do I just anchor up wherever I want and the fish come to me? Or do I need to slowly drift? What are some of y'alls tactics for fishing this way? I've never tried it.
Posted By: Cory Lee

Re: Green lights for Crappie - 06/02/17 04:02 PM

I'm no expert but I've always just anchored up near structure. If no bites in 20 minutes try another spot.
Posted By: gar1970

Re: Green lights for Crappie - 06/02/17 06:00 PM

This^^^^
Posted By: dieselpower97

Re: Green lights for Crappie - 06/02/17 06:25 PM

we would tie up, or anchor by something, structure, etc... the minnows will show up and then the fish. some nights are great, some are slow. good luck
Posted By: scruboak

Re: Green lights for Crappie - 06/02/17 07:09 PM

I would use them only while anchored.
Posted By: justchillin

Re: Green lights for Crappie - 06/02/17 09:49 PM

I have always just anchored where my graph showed a few fish and let the lights do their job. Make sure and give it 30 minutes to an hour for the lights to attract the bait , which attracts the fish. If after that time no bait or fish , its probably time to re-locate.
Posted By: Double Row

Re: Green lights for Crappie - 06/03/17 03:57 PM

I'm going to give fishing with lights a try. Thanks for the tips.
Posted By: chickenman

Re: Green lights for Crappie - 06/03/17 07:27 PM

Tie up to a bridge pylon or some trees you favor.
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Green lights for Crappie - 06/03/17 07:56 PM

I haven't done much night fishing but I think this applies. Once the sun goes down, crappie scatter from their daytime haunts (bridges, brush, timber, etc.). So, it makes sense to be close to these areas so when the fish scatter, they don't have to go far to find your lights.
Posted By: RiverBanks

Re: Green lights for Crappie - 06/16/17 12:15 AM

I always anchor. the light attracts plankton, the plankton attract small minnows, the minnows attract predator fish. You will see white bass and an occasional black bass in the circle of light. The crappie will be outside the circle of light, in the shadows.
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: Green lights for Crappie - 06/16/17 11:10 AM

Anchor up near to a brush pile or deep bend in a mid lake creek. Crappie will come to you. Bite will usually pick up a couple of hours after dark.
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Green lights for Crappie - 06/16/17 03:18 PM

This is my GO TO when fishing the New Moon Phase.IT REALLY WORKS GOOD! Especially GOOD when there is no Moonlight light for it to compete with ie. The New Moon.It will create a circle of bait fish circling around it until Sun Up.I purchased it from Bass Pro several yrs ago cheep to hang off the side of my boat & wish I had gotten two of them because now you can`t get them anymore anywhere.I`ve tried even contacted the manufacturer! They are no longer in production.
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: Green lights for Crappie - 06/16/17 04:34 PM

I fish green lights every week at Possum Kingdom. I doubt you will get much crappie action from them. They seem to attract mostly roaming sand bass and stripers with the occasional LM Bass of big cat. A better bet is to tie up to a dock that has a mercury light that comes on every night. A good cue it's a good spot will be lots of small minnows on the surface. This is usually accompanied by a fish finder full of fish.

Crappie seem to avoid the main circle of the green light when I do catch them using lights. Last night I was fishing a dock with a mercury light and caught a 9 inch throwback crappie and watched a big striper chase it right to the surface. There is a good reason those crappie do not illuminate themselves in the center of that light. Those newly hatched shad fry are pretty stupid and will chase the plankton in that light and get predated by hordes of sandies and small LM Bass. A fish that has survived for a while knows better.

Re: Green lights for Crappie - 06/16/17 09:55 PM

I believe the question was making reference to a light that CCBIRDDOGMAN was attaching to his Pontoon boat and whether he should Anchor or Drift while using them.Maybe I should have mentioned that when using my light I am always tied up to a tree or a bridge pilling while doing so & have had pretty GOOD success CATCHING CRAPPIE with mine.
Posted By: chickenman

Re: Green lights for Crappie - 06/17/17 02:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Fishbonz
I`ve tried even contacted the manufacturer! They are no longer in production.

Call Oreillys for availability. Not sure why an auto part store ever had these. You may get lucky.
Part # FLL712UV
1-800-755-6759

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail...4&ppt=C2389

Re: Green lights for Crappie - 06/17/17 04:18 AM

Already did that.Told you I`ve tried. They are discontinued. I`ve searched all over the internet.Anyone that has one is not letting it go.They were manufactured by a company in Oklahoma and I think it went out of business or were bought out by another company that no longer makes them.
Posted By: Zipster

Re: Green lights for Crappie - 06/18/17 12:43 PM

you can build your own out of pic and led lights for under 30 bucks. youtube it. lots of instruction on how to do so. Mine works great.

Re: Green lights for Crappie - 06/18/17 11:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Zipster
you can build your own out of pic and led lights for under 30 bucks. youtube it. lots of instruction on how to do so. Mine works great.
What is pic? I`d like to see how you made it!
Posted By: scruboak

Re: Green lights for Crappie - 06/19/17 12:02 AM

I ran 32 foot worth of them under the rub rail on my ranger wired to a toggle switch so nothing extra to carry. I didn't want to mess with any more extra equipment than needed. I think total project cost 35 dollars lights,fuses,wire and toggle switch.
Posted By: gar1970

Re: Green lights for Crappie - 06/19/17 04:07 AM

I did the same thing
They really attract the shad
Add a long handled dip net and you have all the bait you need
Posted By: Tc24

Re: Green lights for Crappie - 06/21/17 08:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Fishbonz
This is my GO TO when fishing the New Moon Phase.IT REALLY WORKS GOOD! Especially GOOD when there is no Moonlight light for it to compete with ie. The New Moon.It will create a circle of bait fish circling around it until Sun Up.I purchased it from Bass Pro several yrs ago cheep to hang off the side of my boat & wish I had gotten two of them because now you can`t get them anymore anywhere.I`ve tried even contacted the manufacturer! They are no longer in production.

Sent you a pm... smile

Re: Green lights for Crappie - 06/22/17 02:18 PM

Got them mounted last weekend but already messed one of the strips up, we went across main lake to take the Inlaws to eat and it was a little choppy, I guess the blasts of water had enough force to cut one of the strips in half (I drilled holes in the cross supports and just ran it through the holes so I guess the water and sharp edge of the hole cut it). So I ordered some clear pipe to run them in to protect them from the blast of water that hit the underside of the deck in a pontoon in rough water. We shall see. I will say this, two 16' strips is VERY BRIGHT! I plan to fix those and mount my trolling motor & graph this weekend.
Posted By: serj5150

Re: Green lights for Crappie - 06/22/17 02:43 PM

Hey CC I also put 2 16' strips on my boat as well but what I did this time was add 3m double sided automotive tape. So far it's keeping it on pretty good. I always had problems with remotes as well and what I did was buy a blue-tooth box that allows you to control the led lights with your phone.

Re: Green lights for Crappie - 06/22/17 02:45 PM

These are green only so no remote, just two wires that I wire to a switch.
Posted By: serj5150

Re: Green lights for Crappie - 06/22/17 03:12 PM

Originally Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN
These are green only so no remote, just two wires that I wire to a switch.

ahh got it. I got the multi colored ones in case they wanna disco!!lol!! bannana2
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum