Texas Fishing Forum

Pro Angler reel seat

Posted By: cantcatch5

Pro Angler reel seat - 05/26/17 02:51 AM

I ordered a 8' Pro Angler rod and am curious what the purpose of putting the reel seat on the rod backwards is? Is it just something different to set them apart? Sales gimmick? Or is there some purpose for having it on backwards? I have never seen another rod like it.

Thanks, Jason

Re: Pro Angler reel seat - 05/26/17 02:52 AM

...and by backwards I mean the threaded part you tighten down is toward the butt rod instead of the tip.
Posted By: REDGUN

Re: Pro Angler reel seat - 05/26/17 03:32 AM

Originally Posted By: cantcatch5
...and by backwards I mean the threaded part you tighten down is toward the tip of the rod instead of the butt.

Hmmm, 99% sure every rod I own is "threaded" towards the tip? hmmm
Posted By: SLABXPRESS

Re: Pro Angler reel seat - 05/26/17 04:06 AM

I know what he's talking about. It's actually the butt end. Not sure why, but make absolutely no discernible difference that I can tell.
Posted By: pepop

Re: Pro Angler reel seat - 05/26/17 04:11 AM

Originally Posted By: REDGUN
...and by backwards I mean the threaded part you tighten down is toward the tip of the rod instead of the butt.

Hmmm, 99% sure every rod I own is "threaded" towards the tip? hmmm

+1 hmmm Of course, all I own are Pro Angler's so I guess so! roflmao

Re: Pro Angler reel seat - 05/26/17 11:16 AM

i just thought to look at the pictures on his website and my new rod is even backwards from the picture of the exact rod that I have online. I have had tons of rods from a dozen different manufactures and have never had one with the reel seat on like this. I don't guess it matters it is just different.
Posted By: red snappa

Re: Pro Angler reel seat - 05/26/17 01:23 PM

I asked a rod maker and was told that it can affect balance. So, according to him, balance determines which way to mount the seat. I am no expert at all, just forwarding what I was told. I was curious to maybe learn something also. If there are any rod makers on here that want to throw their two cents in, please elaborate for us.
Posted By: REDGUN

Re: Pro Angler reel seat - 05/26/17 01:57 PM

i just thought to look at the pictures on his website and my new rod is even backwards from the picture of the exact rod that I have online.

I just looked on PA's website. The "threads" on his 8' rods DO show to be at the back?? hmmm
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Pro Angler reel seat - 05/26/17 10:38 PM

Hay cantcatch5 I have several 8ft PA`s and they all tighten from the butt grip towards the front grip & rod blank. Is this what you mean by backwards? If so most of the rods I have are backward except my 8ft Bonehead,Browning Super light& a 5'6"Wally Marshall dock shooter.May be you could post a pic of your rod.
Posted By: SARG

Re: Pro Angler reel seat - 05/27/17 02:38 AM

Until . . . . . my PA rods fail to hold a fish . . . . . .
Aint gonna happen Im pretty sure
Bob sells a good product that embarrasses a majority a 3X the price

Re: Pro Angler reel seat - 05/28/17 01:49 AM

I forgot to get a picture of it today. The reelseat is just backwards from the picture on the website. I can't tell if it makes a difference one way or the other. I gave it a good workout this morning. The first fish I caught on it was a 4.5 lb largemouth, caught over 20 bass on that rod alone along with several white bass and a few 16" hybrids...but not one crappie! The learning curve for me on these dang fish is steep!
Posted By: passinthru

Re: Pro Angler reel seat - 05/29/17 03:07 PM

Ya'll made me have to go look at mine. The 8ft PA is backwards compared to all of my other rods, maybe thats why it catches more fish than all my other rods!
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Pro Angler reel seat - 05/29/17 04:29 PM

Originally Posted By: passinthru
Ya'll made me have to go look at mine. The 8ft PA is backwards compared to all of my other rods, maybe thats why it catches more fish than all my other rods!
just for my own curiosity, when you tighten your REEL into place,are you tightening from the back of the REEL screwing towards the front > of the Rod Tip ,or are you tightening from the front of the REEL screwing towards the Bottom < of the Rod Handle ? I`m trying to understand this whole backwards thing.

Re: Pro Angler reel seat - 05/29/17 06:02 PM

Mine tightens from the front. The one on the website tightens from the back.

It might be because it is a hybrid casting/spinning rod. I was looking at it as a casting rod and comparing it to my other casting rods and it seemed strange. I guess if you look at is as a spinning rod it's not so strange.

...anyway it seems to work great!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum