Texas Fishing Forum

May Crappie on The Coastal Prarie

Posted By: canyoncreek06

May Crappie on The Coastal Prarie - 05/23/17 02:25 AM

May has been a decent month for me on the two lakes that I fish. I didn't get to spend much time on either during the spawn. I did find some on Texana during the spawn but the rains came and pretty much wiped it out. I'm not really sure when the spawn is at Coleto as it is a power plant lake and the water stays warm for most of the year. May 7th I made a trip to Texana and ended up with 13 on black and chartreuse jigs in 10-15 fow suspended at about 6-8ft. Had 4 that were at the 13" mark. But, the highlight of the day was when one of the 13"ers got wrapped up so I gave him a little slack. He eventually came loose and just as I went to pull him out of the water a 18-20lb yellow cat tried to have him for lunch. The yella went right back into the brush and the crappie turned off. Yesterday I made it out to Coleto and the wind was light. I tried a couple of spots and it was slow. Finally ventured to some submerged standing timber that I was able to stay on with the hand control trolling motor. Finished the day with 23 from 15-18 fow suspended at 12'. Caught these on minnows and jigs. I've got to get better at reading my Lowrance and get a trolling motor with anchor/spot lock. Accessories will be worth more than my little tin boat. roflmao

Texana 5-7-17

Coleto 5-21-17

My daughter the captain

"The Tub"
Posted By: Ken Gaby

Re: May Crappie on The Coastal Prarie - 05/23/17 03:00 AM

Anyway you can catch 'em is good. thumb
Posted By: crope1

Re: May Crappie on The Coastal Prarie - 05/23/17 03:16 AM

I'd say ya'll did pretty darn good with what you have. Keep after'em!
Posted By: JackieF

Re: May Crappie on The Coastal Prarie - 05/23/17 01:03 PM

Nice fish & nice boat!
Posted By: RWCAT

Re: May Crappie on The Coastal Prarie - 05/23/17 01:25 PM

Nice Load!!!
thumb
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: May Crappie on The Coastal Prarie - 05/24/17 02:07 AM

Nice fish. Good job. thumb
Posted By: canyoncreek06

Re: May Crappie on The Coastal Prarie - 05/24/17 03:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Ken Gaby
Anyway you can catch 'em is good. thumb

My thinking exactly. cheers

Originally Posted By: crope1
I'd say ya'll did pretty darn good with what you have. Keep after'em!

I plan on it. I just started back chasing them last year after a 30+ year hiatus.

Originally Posted By: JackieF
Nice fish & nice boat!

I've had more fun with this little rig than I have had with all the previous ones I've had with the exception of a 15' Whaler. I use it in the saltwater during the winter months. With the tunnel she will get plenty skinny.

Originally Posted By: RWCAT
Nice Load!!!
thumb

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: banker-always fishing
Nice fish. Good job. thumb

I've been wanting to make it up to the Guadalupe in your neck of the woods.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum