Texas Fishing Forum

How do you get the big one to hit?

Posted By: smove

How do you get the big one to hit? - 05/16/17 09:00 PM

I have a spot that I'm able to fish from the bank. The water is approximately 8-20 feet deep. I'm able to catch plenty of small crappie, but no big ones. I'm casting my jig out 40-50 feet from the bank, letting it drop down with a slow retrieval. And like I say, I'm catching them but they are all small. I'm even catching them two at a time. Could the spot just be stacked with small crappie. Should I use a bigger jig? I need some help. I've tried minnows and the same result. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Posted By: MilesHunter

Re: How do you get the big one to hit? - 05/16/17 09:09 PM

Originally Posted By: smove
Could the spot just be stacked with small crappie.

Yup. That is probably the case.
Posted By: Ken Gaby

Re: How do you get the big one to hit? - 05/16/17 09:09 PM

Probably all small fish. If you haven't tried yet, put on a 3" bait and fish that. If nothing, then I'd guess all small fish.
Posted By: DFW-fisherman

Re: How do you get the big one to hit? - 05/16/17 09:17 PM

Ken - which 3" baits are you thinking about? Thanks in advance.
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: How do you get the big one to hit? - 05/16/17 09:30 PM

With those numbers of smaller fish, I would guess that there aren't any bigger fish there. You would have caught a bigger one if they were there.
Posted By: keyboard

Re: How do you get the big one to hit? - 05/16/17 09:41 PM

Ask SheCrappieKiller. He always catches only big fish.
Posted By: Bobcat1

Re: How do you get the big one to hit? - 05/16/17 11:12 PM

I call places like that the Nursery and move.
Posted By: Ken Gaby

Re: How do you get the big one to hit? - 05/16/17 11:50 PM

Thermocline Lures makes a 3" tadpole and a 3.5" super fry. The Mr Fry is 2.5" and with a jig head, it's almost 3".
Posted By: leanin post

Re: How do you get the big one to hit? - 05/17/17 12:57 AM

try hooking a large minnow right thru the center of the head, dark red blood will come out. Yes, minnow will die but who cares, your not minnow 911. Now cast him abt 15 feet to the side of the area you are catching them, and slow roll him back to you if no action, try the other side. Big fish will often sit in pairs close by to brush piles for some reason if there is some type of cover near by. it doesnt need to be big, it could be a branch, medium stone old rip rap, ect.
Posted By: bush hog

Re: How do you get the big one to hit? - 05/17/17 01:45 AM

You didn't mention where in the water column you are starting your retrieve. The bigger fish could very well be there but just holding at a different depth. As soon as your jig hits the water start counting off seconds. Try several different depths and if you catch a keeper (and you've been counting) then you know where to place your next cast. Search the entire water column if you can (including the bottom). Good luck to ya! fish
Posted By: HOGON

Re: How do you get the big one to hit? - 05/17/17 02:53 AM

I second the use a bigger bait.
Anything from Thermocline is a good start. Copper Mine or their Black Emerald Shiner are sure bets.

I also agree the bigger ones may be holding higher in the water column than the small fish.

If the depth is 8-20 Feet and it was early I would try the 4-6 Foot range. Later in the day they could be anywhere in that 8-20 Foot range. You could get a 1/16 ounce feather jig from PEPOP (Grapefruit Limeade) toss that out directly in front of you and let it slowly fall through the water column. Watch your line and hang onto your rod. If they are holding higher they will not be able to resist that Grapefruit Limeade. The jig will pendulum back towards you. If there is a big one there they will smack it.

Keep us Posted.
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: How do you get the big one to hit? - 05/17/17 11:49 AM

Originally Posted By: keyboard
Ask SheCrappieKiller. He always catches only big fish.

I 2nd this opinion, only the Monsters!
Posted By: DFW-fisherman

Re: How do you get the big one to hit? - 05/17/17 12:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Ken Gaby
Thermocline Lures makes a 3" tadpole and a 3.5" super fry. The Mr Fry is 2.5" and with a jig head, it's almost 3".

Thanks Ken! thumb
Posted By: deucer02

Re: How do you get the big one to hit? - 05/17/17 10:35 PM

If they're there constantly, the should be some good size black bass nearby and they eat almost as good as crappie.

Re: How do you get the big one to hit? - 05/18/17 05:50 PM

Thanks guys for all the great advice. I think I will start with the 3" tadpoles from Thermocline Lures. I honestly didn't even think about fishing in the 4-6 foot range. I would normally throw out and let the jig go to the bottom and start retrieving it as slow as possible. I will definitely start counting as soon as it hits the water. Thanks again for the advice. I'll keep you posted on my next outing.
Posted By: smileycntfish

Re: How do you get the big one to hit? - 05/18/17 11:22 PM

Smove I think me and you have fished that spot together lol. I got tired of catching them little ones . Earlier last monto was pretty good there . Now it's a dink fest. I'll say hello when I see you back over there.

Re: How do you get the big one to hit? - 05/19/17 09:17 PM

Originally Posted By: smileycntfish
Smove I think me and you have fished that spot together lol. I got tired of catching them little ones . Earlier last monto was pretty good there . Now it's a dink fest. I'll say hello when I see you back over there.

Thanks Smileycntfish. Yeah if you see a black Honda, that's me. Drop on by to see what's happening, you never know. I was fishing there a few days ago and a guy pulled out a 6.5 pound bass.
Posted By: bush hog

Re: How do you get the big one to hit? - 05/20/17 01:19 AM

Just an example of what I mentioned earlier on your thread. Today I was shooting a dock that always holds good fish. I normally let the 1/16 jig fall for a 4 count and start reeling it in. Today all I was catching were dinks, so after a few of those I then started letting the jig fall for a 6 count and bingo, there were the keepers.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum