Texas Fishing Forum

Bardwell lake

Posted By: CPO USN RET

Bardwell lake - 04/12/17 09:58 PM

Have tried to make it to Bardwell but have not been to make it out yet. Plan ongoing with my kids on sat trying to find some crappie.dont want your spots just general info. Any help would be appreciated. Will be in red tracker 175 txw stop by and give a shout if y'all are out.
Posted By: JackieF

Re: Bardwell lake - 04/13/17 11:54 AM

Rod is our Bardwell guru. He can give some good info.

Re: Bardwell lake - 04/13/17 02:26 PM

Thank you
Posted By: RODS454

Re: Bardwell lake - 04/13/17 06:04 PM

CPO, I'm gonna be there Fri-Mon. Look for the boat in my signature. Yellow Skeeter. Can't miss it. I'm camping at Highview Park with the wife and grandkids. If you see me come on by, and I'll try to help you out. I haven't fished in a few days so I don't know how it's doing right now. Should have a little more info by Friday evening. Love Park is a free launch ramp. I recommend launching there. Earl keeps a look out for the place. I suspect Sat. is going to be busy. Love gets a lot of wakeboard boats but they don't usually start showing until around 10 or so. Good luck and come see me. I'll give you an idea whats going on.
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Bardwell lake - 04/13/17 06:12 PM

Hey Rod Bwell is releasing 346 cfs of h2o. Do you think it will effect the bite?

Re: Bardwell lake - 04/13/17 10:38 PM

Thks Rod! Probably launching at high view only launch I ha e used with just me and kids. Thanks for the help. See y'all sat!

Re: Bardwell lake - 04/14/17 01:12 AM

Bonz, that's what I was wondering,also. I'm curious what the rain did to the water temp. I have seen it above 70 this year, but last time it was back down to 68. I should be able to better answer tomorrow evening.
Posted By: crapicat

Re: Bardwell lake - 04/14/17 02:50 AM

Originally Posted By: RODS454
Bonz, that's what I was wondering,also. I'm curious what the rain did to the water temp. I have seen it above 70 this year, but last time it was back down to 68. I should be able to better answer tomorrow evening.

Cant speak for Bardwell, but it normally slows the bite down a bit...I usually try to fish deeper water during a release...or fish below the dam...

Re: Bardwell lake - 04/14/17 06:01 AM

Originally Posted By: crapicat
Originally Posted By: RODS454

Cant speak for Bardwell, but it normally slows the bite down a bit...I usually try to fish deeper water during a release...or fish below the dam...

Navarro Mills really slows down on the main lake when they are releasing! However Chambers Creek is where a person can clean up when Bardwell is dumping Water. I have had GREAT success under the I-45 bridge when this is in effect but @ 346cfs, that`s a little fast.Under 150 cfs is my target any more than that you`ll have to move out from under the bridge and farther down. 2cents

Re: Bardwell lake - 04/14/17 12:56 PM

Guess I need to try that sometime! Thanks fishbonz... cheers
Posted By: DPDALAN

Re: Bardwell lake - 04/14/17 01:23 PM

Be careful under that bridge. Large signs on both sides that say no fishing. Private property.

Re: Bardwell lake - 04/14/17 01:35 PM

Originally Posted By: DPDALAN
Be careful under that bridge. Large signs on both sides that say no fishing. Private property.
Those signs have been there for years & there hasn`t been a problem with property owners.The only problem has been with the GW`s because some folks want to fish without a fishing liscense. rolleyes

Re: Bardwell lake - 04/14/17 03:18 PM

I think that is part of the navigable waterways type rules that prohibits landowners from messing with people: they can post all the signs they want, but it doesn't mean much. I have traveled up and down that river by boat mostly and foot some, and never encountered any problems with anyone, including wardens.
Posted By: JWfish

Re: Bardwell lake - 04/14/17 03:40 PM

Careful under those I45 bridges. Not a place you want to fish alone unless you have a CHL and watch who walks up on you. Had a couple close calls in the past and pretty sure it has only worsened.

Re: Bardwell lake - 04/14/17 06:45 PM

Scared? Stay at Home

Re: Bardwell lake - 04/14/17 10:13 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I almost always have one or both kids with me!

Re: Bardwell lake - 04/15/17 01:07 AM

Got out for a short bit. Kids thought they wanted to swim. 70 degree water changed their minds! roflmao
Caught 5 fish in about 20 minutes. 4 crappie, 3 that were keepers and 1 sandie. Needless to say the release didn't hurt. Gonna give it a better shot in the morning. I'll let y'all know how it goes.

Re: Bardwell lake - 04/16/17 11:53 PM

Got out for a bit Saturday morning with the grandson, it was a bust. He got bored after about an hour with no bites. Took him back to the campsite and went back out for about another hour and caught two small sandies. Wind was just too much so I called it a day. Today was much better. Had my brother in law down for the day. He hadn't fished brush piles in a while but did quite well. Didn't keep any today. We prolly boated 30 fish between us. Biggest going 1lb 4oz. Wind was tough but we had a good time.
Happy Easter!
Posted By: CedarCreekWoody

Re: Bardwell lake - 04/17/17 12:38 PM

I drove over the bridge there for the first time thus weekend, checking out a campground. I was surprised the water looked a bit green. Is that normal here? Navarro Mills hasn't been looking that way.

Re: Bardwell lake - 04/17/17 10:27 PM

Thats the normal color.
Posted By: CedarCreekWoody

Re: Bardwell lake - 04/20/17 12:42 PM

Thanks Rod. I was a bit surprised by it.
Posted By: JWfish

Re: Bardwell lake - 04/20/17 01:02 PM

Fishbonz, not scared, just smart . Most locals know better.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum