Texas Fishing Forum

Weedless jig heads?

Posted By: NitroGlistenin

Weedless jig heads? - 03/19/17 07:56 PM

Are they worth trying? I get hung up and break off enough to think about it. I think of jig heads like ammo. You're going to fish you're going to lose a few. But if they would cut down on re-tying time it would be worth it. Just wondering if they make you miss more hook sets. If they are good where do you get them? Thanks!
Posted By: DavisGuideService

Re: Weedless jig heads? - 03/19/17 08:10 PM

I've been using them exclusively for over a year and I don't miss anymore bites than with regular jig heads, only thing I've noticed is I'm catching more fish because I can drag through brush and limbs and I'm hardly ever getting hung. yes they are more expensive but well worth it IMO. I use timmytoms.com
Posted By: Big_CatEM

Re: Weedless jig heads? - 03/19/17 08:32 PM

Good question. I have often wondered the same thing.
Posted By: BrazosRiverTom

Re: Weedless jig heads? - 03/19/17 08:32 PM

Looks like some nice jigs. Thanks for the info on timmytoms.com
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: Weedless jig heads? - 03/19/17 09:35 PM

Paul Mullins pours weedless jigheads for me.

1/16th oz jighead with a #2 bronze hook, tooth brush style material.

They are $25.00 per 100, but you won't get hung up & break off anymore.
Posted By: onfirecrappie

Re: Weedless jig heads? - 03/19/17 09:49 PM

I have been using them for 20 years. Don't think it affects my catch to thump ratio at all. I buy the cheap unpainted ball heads with wire guard from Walmart and use the powder paint to paint them all in pink.

Re: Weedless jig heads? - 03/20/17 12:55 AM

Thanks for the info, everyone! Time to go shopping.
Posted By: I-35 North

Re: Weedless jig heads? - 03/20/17 02:10 AM

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Ho...L_CATEGORY_VTR1
Posted By: Duck1

Re: Weedless jig heads? - 03/20/17 02:55 AM

Love the hook guards. Worm rubber ones.
Posted By: Finaddict

Re: Weedless jig heads? - 03/20/17 01:37 PM

Never without them
http://www.southernpro.com/store/store_product_detail.cfm?Product_ID=358&Category_ID=4

Re: Weedless jig heads? - 03/20/17 02:05 PM

Thanks for the sites and I like the fact most use sickle hooks, versus standard. Like those better. Just ordered about 6 packs in 4 colors I tend to use, along with unpainted due to the chrome head.

See how they work in some heavier brush jigging.
Posted By: REDGUN

Re: Weedless jig heads? - 03/20/17 02:13 PM

I have the mold and make/use this style head. I like these a LOT better than the little "add on" rubber worm style weed guard.

Posted By: kodys'papa

Re: Weedless jig heads? - 03/20/17 04:55 PM

thumb^
Posted By: dwmoore

Re: Weedless jig heads? - 03/20/17 09:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Tx_ThumpAddict
I've been using them exclusively for over a year and I don't miss anymore bites than with regular jig heads, only thing I've noticed is I'm catching more fish because I can drag through brush and limbs and I'm hardly ever getting hung. yes they are more expensive but well worth it IMO. I use timmytoms.com
Posted By: dwmoore

Re: Weedless jig heads? - 03/20/17 09:03 PM

This

Re: Weedless jig heads? - 03/20/17 09:53 PM

Nice job on those heads. texas

Re: Weedless jig heads? - 03/21/17 11:07 PM

Nice, REDGUN!
Posted By: grounder

Re: Weedless jig heads? - 03/23/17 03:21 AM

Originally Posted By: REDGUN
I have the mold and make/use this style head. I like these a LOT better than the little "add on" rubber worm style weed guard.

Redgun, do you sell these? Didn't see weedless jigs on your Website.

Jack
Posted By: crope1

Re: Weedless jig heads? - 03/23/17 11:26 AM

Originally Posted By: grounder

Jack

welcome to the forum! might do better by calling him....
Posted By: crope1

Re: Weedless jig heads? - 03/23/17 11:31 AM

sent you a pm.
Originally Posted By: grounder

Jack

Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Weedless jig heads? - 03/24/17 01:13 PM

clap
Posted By: crapicat

Re: Weedless jig heads? - 03/24/17 02:44 PM

I have tried these...too much trouble for me...

Re: Weedless jig heads? - 03/24/17 03:03 PM

Guys, in instances where you need a #2 hook size and a larger bait profile (such as deep water cedar trees/thick brush piles) the pink ones like redgun has is pics would be a good choice (although i mostly fish unpainted heads)...for instance, when I fished with DW on some rather thick deep piles, with larger hooks, I was scrambling for some of his mega stash of weedless jig heads...and it surely helped...and I was appreciative that DW shared his jigheads, as the fish would not bite a smaller bait profile...I just could never find where to get the good weedless larger jigheads (like the pink ones listed above) that i could buy in 100 lot packs or I would own some as well...Just in case ole DW calls and wants to go fishing...lord knows trying to buy a jig from him in the boat could get REAL EXPENSIVE real fast...HA

But in shallower water treetops, brush where you can get away with a smaller profile/lighter jig weight, I prefer going to a #6 or #8 jig head and less weight, without a weedguard. I think that is a more effective use of the options that are available. In brush that is not so thick a #4 is a good option, as well.
Posted By: JohnButte

Re: Weedless jig heads? - 03/24/17 06:21 PM

I got some from timmytoms too. Good stuff.
Posted By: Dadsthatlove2fish

Re: Weedless jig heads? - 03/24/17 06:45 PM

I just got some from REDGUN on here they sure look nice and good price too. I recommend him. My 2 boys get hung up in brush from time to time and they are still learning how to get out of it so this would make it easier plus might catch more since we can get in the brush better and around it without getting hung. Cant wait to try them out. Thanks REDGUN!
Posted By: The Crappie Detective

Re: Weedless jig heads? - 03/28/17 01:23 PM

WHATS THE WEBSITE TO ORDER FROM REDGUN

Re: Weedless jig heads? - 03/28/17 02:24 PM

PM Redgun, he will get back to you

Re: Weedless jig heads? - 03/28/17 02:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Dadsthatlove2fish
I just got some from REDGUN on here they sure look nice and good price too. I recommend him. My 2 boys get hung up in brush from time to time and they are still learning how to get out of it so this would make it easier plus might catch more since we can get in the brush better and around it without getting hung. Cant wait to try them out. Thanks REDGUN!

My pleasure, hope you like them as much as I do.

Re: Weedless jig heads? - 03/29/17 02:07 PM

Redgun, are those weedguards a little long and what issues would you encounter if you trimmed them back?

Re: Weedless jig heads? - 03/29/17 02:30 PM

Originally Posted By: crapicat
Redgun, are those weedguards a little long and what issues would you encounter if you trimmed them back?

Yes, they are "long". Ones in the picture are "as they (weedguards) come out of the package". It is easier to put a plastic on this hook, with the longer weedguard. After I put a bait on there, THEN I trim them.

This is roughly how I fish them, about 1/8"-3/16" above the hook point. thumb

Also, if you feel that the weedguard is "too stiff", you can take a razor blade/exacto knife and cut out some of the fibers, till you get the "springy tension" that you like. (*NOTE* I have never bothered to do this, but it would be easy to do so)

Re: Weedless jig heads? - 03/29/17 09:37 PM

Good information, thanks!

Re: Weedless jig heads? - 03/29/17 09:40 PM

Yes, thanks for the info, will print that out.

Re: Weedless jig heads? - 03/30/17 01:49 PM

Weedless heads in my original post weigh 1/16 and 1/8 when they have the lead barb attached. When I cut that off, they weigh "that much less"......

I modified another mold last night, to accept wire weedguards. These will weigh a TRUE 1/16 and 1/8 oz. thumb

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum