Texas Fishing Forum

Richland chambers.

Posted By: TroyKing

Richland chambers. - 01/15/17 02:13 PM

I'll be there this coming weekend for some non fishing business...but there will be some slack time so I'm gonna pull the boat... I've never been on the lake and would be grateful if someone could share some info...Is the fishing good at the 287 bridge?...also I would.love to catch a hybrid bass...feel free to Pm me....thanks.
Posted By: Gone Fishin'

Re: Richland chambers. - 01/15/17 02:26 PM

Might want to fish for Catfish (See my RC Post in Catfish and Freshwater Reports Sections) as the bite is Awesome. Also,some Whites being caught on the Main Lake Humps and Points on Slabs in 30' FOW. A few small Hybrids are in with the Whites.

Been fishing RC since 1994 and gave up on Winter Time Crappie long ago. Just too tough to find em' from December thru February. Good Luck!
Posted By: juggin4cats

Re: Richland chambers. - 01/17/17 12:20 AM

Royce,

Why is it that way at RC? I live here at Joe Pool and everyone hits one of the main creeks and pulls them out dead cold of winter. I fish RC almost exclusively for crappie and blues but like you I gave up on any hard winter months for crappie and usually start looking for them end of Feb. very 1st of March depending on weather. Just curious what your take is on that.
Thanks
Ken
Posted By: Gone Fishin'

Re: Richland chambers. - 01/17/17 12:40 AM

RC is a little different lake in many ways and the tough Winter Crappie Bite is just one of them. I've fished pretty much all my life, fished RC since 1994 , and for the last 17 years as a Guide fishing over 200 days a year, and still have a humbling day every once in a while. frown The shear size of RC at 45,000 acres makes it a tough lake for many to fish. Lots of areas are just not fishable on windy days and lots of areas have probably never had a boat on them. The most positive thing though about RC is that it's a well kept secret! Even after 27 years, the majority of folks living in DFW and Houston have never heard of it. I seldom see another boat on a Weekday between October and March. It's absolutely wonderful!

Good LucK on the Crappie! I'm sticking with the Catfish till Spring! cool
Posted By: Three Nails Guide

Re: Richland chambers. - 01/17/17 02:15 AM

Jiggin4cats, Some lakes and I think RC is one of them. The crappie in winter move out to deep open water and suspend in the water column making it very difficult to find and catch. The only way to fish for them like this is to slow troll for them just my thought.
Posted By: juggin4cats

Re: Richland chambers. - 01/17/17 02:21 AM

Thanks for the reply fellas. I will let you know how it turns out this year. Last year was kind of a bust for me on the spawning crappie and switched to blues in all the running water.
Thanks again
Ken
Posted By: TR176

Re: Richland chambers. - 01/17/17 03:35 AM

Even in Oct and early Nov there was nobody on the 287 bridge on weekdays. it was not uncommon to see only 5-6 boats in the middle part of the lake and that includes everyone. Going up the creeks would take a lot of experience on the lake due to distances and the trees. My understanding is the public ramps are kind of iffy.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum