Texas Fishing Forum

Issues with Matsuo hooks

Posted By: Fish Killer

Issues with Matsuo hooks - 01/12/17 03:28 AM

Anyone else have expirenced these hooks going to carp?

Been using these sickle hooks for years and here lately the last couple of hundred I've poured the wire is junk

Bending way to easy even in the vise while tying
#2's especially
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Issues with Matsuo hooks - 01/12/17 03:33 AM

Just wonder if someone is counterfeiting them. Seems like more and more items are being counterfeited.

Re: Issues with Matsuo hooks - 01/12/17 03:34 AM

Wouldn't think theses would be counterfeited, purchased from a big box store not some online place
Posted By: Jacob

Re: Issues with Matsuo hooks - 01/12/17 03:38 AM

I got a bad run of them once. Hooks would break right at the bend. Some right at the head.
Posted By: NekidTackle

Re: Issues with Matsuo hooks - 01/12/17 11:00 AM

I pour Thousands a month, and i get an maybe 1-2 soft hooks out of a 1000 hook box, regardless of Bronze, Black and Red Chrome. You must have gotten a bad batch?
Posted By: hawghoover

Re: Issues with Matsuo hooks - 01/12/17 12:04 PM

iv quit using them 6 months ago because they are just too soft.lost a lot of big crappie because the hook straightened out!
Posted By: TroyKing

Re: Issues with Matsuo hooks - 01/12/17 12:29 PM

I notice a difference in the last batch I bought...had some that were bent in a round bend, the barbs were smaller, and some broke just using pliers on them.
Posted By: PlanoPaul

Re: Issues with Matsuo hooks - 01/12/17 06:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Fish Killer

Been using these sickle hooks for years and here lately the last couple of hundred I've poured the wire is junk

#2's especially

Prolly should just stick with bassfishin.... fish
Posted By: hawghoover

Re: Issues with Matsuo hooks - 01/12/17 09:02 PM

i went from the #4 hook to the #2 hook and never had a problem yet.great hook!

Re: Issues with Matsuo hooks - 01/12/17 09:09 PM

Originally Posted By: hawghoover

The #2's are the ones I am having the most trouble with. When I say these things are soft its almost like a twisty. you can just bend it around your finger that easy.

Since Im not really making production runs of these things, I am going to go the route of a different hook with hopefully better results.

Really sucks because I just bought a 1000 of the #2 on sale the other day for 2.00 a pack from Cabela's on clearance.

Re: Issues with Matsuo hooks - 01/12/17 09:09 PM

Originally Posted By: PlanoPaul

#2's especially

Prolly should just stick with bassfishin.... fish

I have to have something to do in the summer and my down time in the winter.... At least Im not fishing for catfish.....
Posted By: PEDRO H.

Re: Issues with Matsuo hooks - 01/13/17 02:56 AM

Originally Posted By: hawghoover

The #2's are the ones I am having the most trouble with. When I say these things are soft its almost like a twisty. you can just bend it around your finger that easy.

Since Im not really making production runs of these things, I am going to go the route of a different hook with hopefully better results.

Really sucks because I just bought a 1000 of the #2 on sale the other day for 2.00 a pack from Cabela's on clearance.

You get what you pay for!
Now get me some owners so I can start pouring jigs.
Posted By: NekidTackle

Re: Issues with Matsuo hooks - 01/13/17 10:26 AM

In the last two nights, I poured Black Chrome - 1000 #4, 500 #2, 1000 #6, and 1000 #8 jig heads.#4 I had 2 that were soft, #2 I did have 3, and #6 2.
I also poured red Chrome - 750 #4,and 300 #2, no soft hooks.
I was taking note due to this post.

That is about standard. Hooks were purchased in December and last week.

Re: Issues with Matsuo hooks - 01/13/17 03:48 PM

I must have gotten a pretty bad box of 100 then.

Finished off pouring that box, and about to open a few more other ones that were purchased at a later time. So I will keep up with what I find.

Will probably be purchasing a different manufacturer's hook for the future but, these are getting pretty annoying.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum