Texas Fishing Forum

Minnow cast net

Posted By: ArgyleFloater

Minnow cast net - 11/22/16 03:48 AM

Anyone use a cast need to trap minnows? If so, what's it like(difficulty)?
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Minnow cast net - 11/22/16 04:46 AM

Get you a good 1/4" mesh cash net, go to a local creek and throw it in the shallow rapids and runs. Much easier in summer and spring when the bait is spawning though. Usually pretty easy to cast have bait then, it gets harder in winter because the bait goes deep.
Posted By: speedboat

Re: Minnow cast net - 11/22/16 04:48 PM

Totally agree with Mckinney - make sure you get the 1/4" mesh, most minnows will swim right through 3/8" mesh
Posted By: POP N CORK

Re: Minnow cast net - 11/22/16 11:10 PM

I use a cast net for spot tail minnows. You really need to get a 3/16 inch mesh net. I have a 1/4 and 3/16. The 1/4 inch they get stuck in there gills pretty bad.
Posted By: Steve_C

Re: Minnow cast net - 11/24/16 03:21 AM

Get a 3/16 cast net, they are the best, you can sometimes catch the ghost minnow with it. They are pretty expensive but I ordered mine thru Colgard Outdoor online, they are the cheapest.
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Minnow cast net - 11/24/16 04:56 AM

I've had both. 3/16 falls pretty slow in the water. Your call. I have no problem with the 1/4
Posted By: Thunk

Re: Minnow cast net - 12/05/16 01:17 AM

I would use the 3/16th as most of any minnow catching is sight casting anyway and is shallow. Have a quality pair of sunglasses to see the schools of minnows and cast ahead of them when they get moving so that you have 3/4's of the net in front of their 'anticipated' line of flight. I've caught plenty of minnows in the shallows but honestly I've set minnow traps and done just as well or better with less money involved.
Posted By: Captain Yakker

Re: Minnow cast net - 12/05/16 01:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Thunk
I've set minnow traps and done just as well or better with less money involved.

I bought a minnow trap not too long ago. Haven't had a chance to use it yet. What do you like to use for bait? I saw a YT vid where the guy suggested a can of tuna with holes poked in the lid to contain the actual tuna while releasing the scent.
Posted By: bogey♂

Re: Minnow cast net - 12/05/16 07:48 PM

You can use dry dog food. Just "borrow" some of your sig. others panty hose. Cut a foot off and tie it in a knot with the dog food inside.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum