Texas Fishing Forum

Winter crappie advice

Posted By: Saintsman65

Winter crappie advice - 11/17/16 11:01 PM

Long time bass fisherman who got hooked on "the thump" a year or so ago and still trying to learn as much as I can. Never crappie fished in the winter and was wondering at what point would you expect the crappie to leave the trees, piles and bridges and head for deep open water? Water temp. in the low sixties? Late Nov/Dec.? Usually fish Ray Roberts and occasionally Lewisville. I've read/watched a bit about spider-rigging but not sure when the time is right.

Thanks in advance for any comments.
Posted By: Cattle15

Re: Winter crappie advice - 11/17/16 11:31 PM

Well, first , not all the crappie are going to deep water! Some will go up the creeks and rivers when the water hits 55 degrees . In my opinion it's a lot easier to catch the big fish right on the banks of the rivers and creeks when it gets cold , really cold is the best time , the water will clear up faster the colder it is and look for the slabs under fallen timber laying out in the creeks and rivers. A lot of the time the fish will be their because that is where the shad will be, some times they will be vary shallow , in four feet or less right on the banks. When the wind is blowing hard I had rather be in the creeks than the big blue! Hope it helps!
Posted By: Saintsman65

Re: Winter crappie advice - 11/17/16 11:51 PM

Thanks.
Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

Re: Winter crappie advice - 11/18/16 12:10 AM

Welcome to the addiction. Come visit us at a meeting and get a feel for what we share. One can certainly gain a ton of knowledge from the pro's.

Join/ Become a member and you gain access to all the meetings video/s and events archives.
Well worth it....

http://www.crappieanglersoftexas.com/

Posted By: Crappie Bait

Re: Winter crappie advice - 11/18/16 03:08 PM

David,
Is there access if you join CAT to video's of the meetings? I would like to join but I'm a little far to make the meetings. What all does CAT offer? Thanks
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Winter crappie advice - 11/18/16 03:15 PM

Not David, but yes, once you become a member you can access all the meetings on video from the CAT website.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum