Texas Fishing Forum

Any reports on Canyon Lake?

Posted By: killachinchilla

Any reports on Canyon Lake? - 11/17/16 07:34 PM

Hey Guys,

Going to canyon lake next week and am looking for any information I can get. I have only been on the lake twice, but have never targeted crappie.

Thanks,
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Any reports on Canyon Lake? - 11/17/16 10:26 PM

Will not be long until the fish start staging around the mouth of the Guadalupe River. Usually from December all the way though March the Upper Guadalupe around Canyon turns on. Did very good the past couple of years. thumb

Side Note: I have not fished the main lake since last summer! Also I have not heard any resent Crappie reports from Canyon Lake. hmmm
Posted By: chascat

Re: Any reports on Canyon Lake? - 11/18/16 02:44 PM

If you are fishing off the bank, try the crappie dock by Cranes Mill Park. If you are boat fishing,
Try the brush piles that were droped in the lake. Hope this helps.
Posted By: Choupique

Re: Any reports on Canyon Lake? - 11/18/16 08:19 PM

I fished Canyon two weeks ago today for a few hours. I caught around fifteen crappie and maybe as many yearling bass. All were undersized but fun. The bass were really aggressive. I fished in one of the coves near the mouth of the river and caught all fish in 12- 15 FOW. All were caught on Thermocline jigs black with chartreuse tail. Thought about going today but the weather report scared me off - should have gone. Let us know how you do next week. I may try again on Wednesday.

Re: Any reports on Canyon Lake? - 11/21/16 04:13 PM

Thanks for the information so far. I will let yal know how it goes

Re: Any reports on Canyon Lake? - 11/26/16 03:05 PM

Well didn't turn out exactly as planned. Fished a few brush piles and a little around marina, but only managed to reel in a few bass and perch. Anyone else have any luck?
Posted By: wgpj

Re: Any reports on Canyon Lake? - 11/26/16 10:48 PM

Cranes Mill Crappie dock is now closed for deer hunting until Dec 28

Re: Any reports on Canyon Lake? - 12/07/16 05:45 PM

Gonna make another attempt at this lake in a couple weeks. Cant stand the fact of being skunked. I'm thinking up the river will be a better bet this round. Thoughts?
Posted By: wgpj

Re: Any reports on Canyon Lake? - 12/08/16 01:05 AM

Sometimes the TP&WD Fish Attractors ( brushpiles ) yield crappie. There are 43 of them scattered throughout the lake.

http://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/fish/recreational/lakes/canyon/structure.phtml

Re: Any reports on Canyon Lake? - 12/08/16 03:24 PM

Thanks WGPJ. We tried a couple near the mouth of the river. Perhaps it was just the wrong day or technique. We will give them another shot.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum