Texas Fishing Forum

Confused!

Posted By: Resh

Confused! - 11/07/16 04:44 PM

So I had a day yesterday that confused me. Basic background, I fish out of a float tube, so I'm not very mobile, no electronics etc. Also it usually means I comb through an area pretty thoroughly. Yesterday fished a bridge, and crappies would only hit a jig. Not a minnow on a hook, not a minnow on a jighead, not the same jig they were hitting tipped with a minnow. Just the jig plain. I've heard people say some days jigs outproduce minnows: why might this be the case? Just moody fish?
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Confused! - 11/07/16 05:27 PM

Crappie can be very moody at times (especially black crappie). Jigs will outproduce minnows most of the times because crappie in my opinion are sight based and rely on sight to feed 99% of the time. This is why it's harder to catch them when the water turns to chocolate milk after rains. I also believe that crappie are attracted more to bright colors and movement which is why a jig is more appealing to them most of the time. Just my opinion.
Posted By: leanin post

Re: Confused! - 11/07/16 05:37 PM

what was the size of the minnows you were using, compared to the size jig you were using?

Re: Confused! - 11/07/16 05:53 PM

Originally Posted By: leanin post
what was the size of the minnows you were using, compared to the size jig you were using?

Pretty much the same size, like 2.5". I started with minnow tipped jig, as that has been what has worked the best recently. I figured they may just want a smaller profile after the jig bite so I tried just the minnow on a hook in 1 hand, jig in the other side by side. I literally caught 0 fish on the minnow while I caught 10-12 on the jig next to it. Jig was black with chart tail. Thank you for the replies
Posted By: Tommy Ezell

Re: Confused! - 11/07/16 06:01 PM

Crappie are like my wife. If something is lying there that she's not sure what it is, she will pick it up and move it somewhere it can't be found.

Crappie are inquisitive. If they're not feeding they'll still mouth something to see what it is. hooked
Posted By: Coolshot

Re: Confused! - 11/07/16 07:00 PM

wife Tommy's wife must be related to mine!! splat
Posted By: RODS454

Re: Confused! - 11/07/16 07:15 PM

And mine! realmad

Re: Confused! - 11/07/16 07:42 PM

Haha, thread officially jacked roflmao thanks for the replies.

It was a slim stick though Tommy.. if that means anything! Night stick has been good to me a bunch of times that's for sure
Posted By: MilesHunter

Re: Confused! - 11/07/16 08:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Tommy Ezell
Crappie are like my wife.

roflmao roflmao roflmao Awesome!!!
Posted By: Tommy Ezell

Re: Confused! - 11/07/16 11:04 PM

Sorry, didn't mean to mess the thread up. I figured most could relate to my analogy. bang roflmao

Re: Confused! - 11/08/16 12:48 AM

Ohhh for sure and no worries! roflmao
Posted By: PaPa@fork

Re: Confused! - 11/08/16 01:32 AM

Originally Posted By: RODS454
And mine! realmad

All about the same,,,,, the only thing is that they look different so you can come home with the same one that you left with.
But if you love yours like I love mine you learn to over look some of what they do.
Posted By: OliverBassin

Re: Confused! - 11/08/16 03:35 AM

Originally Posted By: Tommy Ezell
Crappie are like my wife. If something is lying there that she's not sure what it is, she will pick it up and move it somewhere it can't be found.

Crappie are inquisitive. If they're not feeding they'll still mouth something to see what it is. hooked

Lol!!! roflmao
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum