Texas Fishing Forum

White rock report?

Posted By: Tdot

White rock report? - 11/03/16 08:58 PM

Has anyone fished this lake lately, I moved from Abilene and I'm trying it out now and can not locate the crappie. I'm in my two man pelican I have been all over the lake and even back in the creeks
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: White rock report? - 11/03/16 11:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Tdot
Has anyone fished this lake lately, I moved from Abilene and I'm trying it out now and can not locate the crappie. I'm in my two man pelican I have been all over the lake and even back in the creeks
The shad haven't started moving up in the creek just yet.Once they move in so will the crappie. Usually after thanksgiving or the first frost. 2cents

Re: White rock report? - 11/04/16 01:06 AM

Yeah I was still hoping I can find some
Posted By: crappiehunter

Re: White rock report? - 11/04/16 06:08 AM

Been catching some off the main lake piers at night as well as the sail boat marina around the pilings during the day.They won't move up the creek until it gets colder and the shad move up.Normally after Thanksgiving is when they pick up in the creek.

Re: White rock report? - 11/04/16 02:57 PM

I'll try it again I didn't know most of the lake is 8ft so it was weird fishing it for me, yesterday was more learning than catching
Posted By: erittmueller

Re: White rock report? - 11/04/16 05:45 PM

Take your yak to the dam and put 2-3 jigs on you rod or rods. Just drift along with them at varying depths to find where they are and what depth. When you catch one or more drift the area again. There is almost no cover on the lake and they will suspend a lot. Near the dam it gets up to about 23 feet. Orange/chartreuse and black/chartreuse work great. If you have a fish finder and mark ANYTHING on the bottom, it will hold fish 365 days a year. Watch out for big channel cats that will readily take your jigs.

If that doesn't work try going off Winfrey Point and fan casting for suspended fish at 3-8ft down. Peg bobber or you can cast and jig it on the bottom like you would a spoon.

Eric
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: White rock report? - 11/04/16 05:51 PM

Originally Posted By: erittmueller
Take your yak to the dam and put 2-3 jigs on you rod or rods. Just drift along with them at varying depths to find where they are and what depth. When you catch one or more drift the area again. There is almost no cover on the lake and they will suspend a lot. Near the dam it gets up to about 23 feet. Orange/chartreuse and black/chartreuse work great. If you have a fish finder and mark ANYTHING on the bottom, it will hold fish 365 days a year. Watch out for big channel cats that will readily take your jigs.

If that doesn't work try going off Winfrey Point and fan casting for suspended fish at 3-8ft down. Peg bobber or you can cast and jig it on the bottom like you would a spoon.

Eric
Sound Advice thumb
Posted By: Grainraiser

Re: White rock report? - 11/05/16 02:29 AM

Fishing White Rock lake itself is hard fishing. You would be better off learning Hubbard, Joe Pool or Bachman Lake for crappies. It your willing to do some driving Cedar Creek and Tawakoni are even better. If you have a small outboard on your Pelican learning Lake Lavon would be well worth it. I have a Pelican and my all time favorite lakes are Tawakoni and Lavon. I wish I could learn Hubbard since it is so close to me.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum