Texas Fishing Forum

Anyone crappie fish Falcon?

Posted By: Tommar

Anyone crappie fish Falcon? - 10/28/16 03:25 AM

My old lake runs max 15-18 feet deep and is loaded with man made brush piles. That's the experience I have with crappie fishing.

How do I tackle crappie fishing with no submerged (to my knowledge) brush piles or structure? I'm kayaking so I can't just troll around looking at my fish finder and do a good job scanning the lake.

I know they are around though. I've caught two on spinner baits bass fishing. Both keepers on different days and oddly enough on the same color and style spinner. I have also seen three real nice ones dying and floating on the surface while out and about. I'm guessing a bass fisherman caught them maybe from deep water and they couldn't handle it? It was in 50-60 foot water there.

I've seen what I believe are bait balls all over and my fishfinder indicates fish there but I can't really get anything to bite. I did hook a small bass when using a crappie jig and nibble once.

Anyway, I'd love to target crappie down here on Falcon lake. If anyone has any tips or tricks to share they would be much appreciated.
Posted By: BUBBAJ 115

Re: Anyone crappie fish Falcon? - 10/29/16 03:07 PM

Ive never fished Falcon but i would head towards the closest creek and fish the shallow brush and hardwoods at the mouth of the creek with a jig. Also try some timber fields in 20ft of water, look for timber that is different than the rest. Example if all of the timber is big trees with not many branches find a thin tree with lots of brances, vice versa. Drop a jig to the bottom and move up 2 cranks every minute or so working the jig inbetween.
Posted By: leanin post

Re: Anyone crappie fish Falcon? - 10/29/16 05:09 PM

theres a vid of wally marshall fishing some bridge pilings on Falcon. BIG crappie.

Re: Anyone crappie fish Falcon? - 10/30/16 01:32 AM

Thanks guys.

That's the bad thing about kayaking I guess. Even though I can get in better places than boats I have to cross too much open water to get there. There's only a few places to launch on Falcon and really not any creeks that flow into it much.

Can't seem to find that video. I did find one but he's not fishing bridge pilings.
Posted By: getbent956

Re: Anyone crappie fish Falcon? - 10/30/16 09:41 PM

Pm me Tommar. I fish Falcon for crappie in a kayak. I haven't slayed them but I do catch some.

Re: Anyone crappie fish Falcon? - 10/31/16 02:00 AM

PM sent, Bent.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum