Texas Fishing Forum

Shad migration?

Posted By: TroyKing

Shad migration? - 10/24/16 05:34 PM

Is there a water temp or other reference that would signify the start of shad movement up creeks, or to deep water?
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Shad migration? - 10/24/16 06:11 PM

It seems that a temp of 55 or so will really get fish moving up in the creeks in the fall.
Posted By: Lovfldx

Re: Shad migration? - 10/24/16 11:27 PM

In at least one creek i fish from the bank, there is some indication of shad movement. However, right now they are the bigger gizzard shad. Kept either snagging them or bumping up on them with my lures. Have seen thick clouds of threadfin on the lake itself all along the shoreline. But alas, they are "happy shad" swimming without a care in the world, for the most part. Once in awhile they go airborne and scatter in all directions when a big bass or school of yearlings attack.

Temp needs to drop a bit more to trigger threadfin migration to creek(s)
Posted By: BrazosRiverTom

Re: Shad migration? - 10/25/16 12:23 AM

Good info, Tks
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: Shad migration? - 10/25/16 04:55 PM

Shad at PK have been in the creeks and sloughs all year. In the evening, Neely slough is just one shad ball after another. The little LM Bass you catch look as full as a tick. Their little bellies are puffed out wider than their sides. I guess they eat those zillions of shad until they just can't get another one down.
Posted By: Spooley

Re: Shad migration? - 10/25/16 05:45 PM

Shad hitting the shorelines now on LC and the hungry fish are after them. Water temps falling now at 76*F on the shoreline here. Whiskered fish are making me happy again.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum