Texas Fishing Forum

Upgrading , Hummingbird ? , Lowrance ? Confused

Posted By: BigTex1959

Upgrading , Hummingbird ? , Lowrance ? Confused - 10/09/16 09:11 AM

I have been looking at the Hummingbird Helix 7 SI , and the Lowrance Elite 7 Total scan. I figure here is the best place to get honest answers.

Next question is does either unit come with a transducer I can use on my trolling motor ?

I am upgrading both units and need to get them installed at a good price. I just want it done right the first time. lol

I have never been let down when asking questions on here and cant wait to hear what you think. I have 2.000.00 or so to spend so if you think of better units , just say so. I value everyone's thoughts.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Upgrading , Hummingbird ? , Lowrance ? Confused - 10/09/16 12:10 PM

Call David at Shut Up and Fish here on the TFF. He'll have you installed and going in no time. Good people. Great service!

http://www.shut-up-and-fish.com/contact_us.php

Gman
Posted By: Beltonbanger�

Re: Upgrading , Hummingbird ? , Lowrance ? Confused - 10/09/16 12:54 PM

There will be less opinions on the Clinton/Trump debate than on this thread!!!!! duel
Posted By: aggieangler03

Re: Upgrading , Hummingbird ? , Lowrance ? Confused - 10/09/16 01:37 PM

Buy bigger units used off the classifieds. Install them yourself it isn't hard
Posted By: Wayne P.

Re: Upgrading , Hummingbird ? , Lowrance ? Confused - 10/09/16 01:40 PM

Don't know about Lowrance stuff, but if you want Humminbird units to share data, the Helix 7 series are not linkable to share anything. It takes at least the Helix 9 series for that.

The trolling motor model makes a difference when attaching a transducer. The Total Scan transducer is longer than a Humminbird Side Imaging transducer.

Bottom line is without knowing what you have and what capabilities you want, there is no clear answer.
Posted By: Slewfoot

Re: Upgrading , Hummingbird ? , Lowrance ? Confused - 10/09/16 02:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Beltonbanger®
There will be less opinions on the Clinton/Trump debate than on this thread!!!!! duel

That might be the truth!!! Probably can't lose either way!! If your looking at Birds David is your man!!!
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Upgrading , Hummingbird ? , Lowrance ? Confused - 10/09/16 02:58 PM

PM sent
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Upgrading , Hummingbird ? , Lowrance ? Confused - 10/09/16 03:24 PM

It also depends which brands to get if you are ever going to link the trolling motor to the units...
Posted By: Desull

Re: Upgrading , Hummingbird ? , Lowrance ? Confused - 10/09/16 05:31 PM

I personally like Lowrance but they are all good. From recent experience as screen size makes a big difference especially if you are interested in side scan or splitting the screen.

Btw...I have an elite 5,ram mount and map card for sale in the classifieds. Good luck.
Posted By: MoFish!

Re: Upgrading , Hummingbird ? , Lowrance ? Confused - 10/09/16 08:47 PM

Without question go with Humminbird and add a bow 360 and never look back. If you need help with the install let me know, if you want to drive up north I'll be glad to help you out.

Re: Upgrading , Hummingbird ? , Lowrance ? Confused - 10/09/16 11:15 PM

Originally Posted By: MoFish!
Without question go with Humminbird and add a bow 360 and never look back. If you need help with the install let me know, if you want to drive up north I'll be glad to help you out.

That excludes any version of the Humminbird Helix 7, they are not Ethernet compatible. The 360 is an Ethernet device.
Posted By: Crappie Bait

Re: Upgrading , Hummingbird ? , Lowrance ? Confused - 10/10/16 02:35 AM

What Gamblinman said! thumb
Posted By: Apache J

Re: Upgrading , Hummingbird ? , Lowrance ? Confused - 10/10/16 02:55 AM

Just go with Garmin best out there & easy to use
An install.
Posted By: Ruffneck2000

Re: Upgrading , Hummingbird ? , Lowrance ? Confused - 10/10/16 05:00 AM

this!!!
Originally Posted By: MoFish!
thumb
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Upgrading , Hummingbird ? , Lowrance ? Confused - 10/10/16 12:42 PM

Ray Marine makes the best hands down.

Hummingbird and Lowrance cant compare.

Take a look yourself and tell me I am wrong.

Re: Upgrading , Hummingbird ? , Lowrance ? Confused - 10/10/16 01:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Dan90210
Ray Marine makes the best hands down.

Hummingbird and Lowrance cant compare.

Take a look yourself and tell me I am wrong.

I did and you are.
Posted By: ERNEST PATY

Re: Upgrading , Hummingbird ? , Lowrance ? Confused - 10/10/16 08:51 PM

With two grand to spend you can do better than the Elite. I like Lowrance but in bigger/better series. Helix 9 or 10 would be a good choice for the money.

Put your money on the console unit. Most anything will work up front. You can get a used Elite 7 for $400 or less. That's what I use on my trolling motor.

Install is as easy as plugging in a lamp.

Re: Upgrading , Hummingbird ? , Lowrance ? Confused - 10/11/16 02:03 PM

Well 2 Helix 9s don't look bad at all , now to decide SI or DI , or bouth and where to put them. If you can't tell this is my first upgrades , lol and learning to use them will be fun. I just want to be able to pull up on a bush , or tree and tell if anything is on it , and be able to mark that location for later.
I have a 18.3 foot Sprint Tour. series boat and the electronics are from 1998. lol
Posted By: tboxfish

Re: Upgrading , Hummingbird ? , Lowrance ? Confused - 10/11/16 03:45 PM

Originally Posted By: BigTex1959
Well 2 Helix 9s don't look bad at all , now to decide SI or DI , or bouth and where to put them. If you can't tell this is my first upgrades , lol and learning to use them will be fun. I just want to be able to pull up on a bush , or tree and tell if anything is on it , and be able to mark that location for later.
I have a 18.3 foot Sprint Tour. series boat and the electronics are from 1998. lol

SI on Console, DI up front.
That's easy peasy
Posted By: BearfootGypsie

Re: Upgrading , Hummingbird ? , Lowrance ? Confused - 10/11/16 04:22 PM

Easy get 1 Bird and 1 Lowrance... Then you get to compare graphs and adjust accordingly. I agree with tboxfish SI at console DI at bow...
Posted By: 44 Diesel

Re: Upgrading , Hummingbird ? , Lowrance ? Confused - 10/12/16 01:23 AM

Originally Posted By: tboxfish
Originally Posted By: BigTex1959

SI on Console, DI up front.
That's easy peasy

this,, and if you ever want si on the bow you can network them together and get si reading from the si transducer on the DI unit. If you go with the helix 9 I would highly recommend to upgrade the transducer to the hdsi through the transducer swap out program through hummingbird . it runs about an additional $85 and youll want do the same with the DI transducer as well for the trolling motor
Posted By: SLABmeSILLY

Re: Upgrading , Hummingbird ? , Lowrance ? Confused - 10/12/16 11:31 AM

Best combo at this point is still (2) Lowrance networking (add Xi5 at the later tine when you can upgrade if you are to think ahead)

If Xi5 is never in the plan, then at least get the same brand units with networking capability for both units.
There is no reason to mark a waypoint at the console and not have it shown on the bow. Manually copying waypoints between units would definitely be a regretful decision.

Good luck on your selection!

Re: Upgrading , Hummingbird ? , Lowrance ? Confused - 10/12/16 03:51 PM

Well not for sure the units will work on my old Riptide trolling motor now. Waiting to hear from David about that. Long drive from Waxahachie to Shut up and Fish , but might be worth it. I will bug him later when hes done fishing lol

Re: Upgrading , Hummingbird ? , Lowrance ? Confused - 10/18/16 03:07 PM

Wel after long thoughts and talking with David I decided on Xi5 troling motor with anchor system , Hummingbird 9 SI on the console , and a Elite 7 up front. I can't wait to use it out on the water , after David gets done.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum