Texas Fishing Forum

Double jig setup

Posted By: Mikeyb_23

Double jig setup - 10/08/16 04:42 PM

I started using it about 3 months ago and haven't switched back. Caught plenty of doubles. Why wouldn't everyone use this setup? What's the downside?
Posted By: iluvfishin

Re: Double jig setup - 10/08/16 05:01 PM

Only thing i dont like about it is when I get hung up on brush. I lose 2 jigs except one lol
Posted By: kodys'papa

Re: Double jig setup - 10/08/16 05:23 PM

Use it all the time on bridge columns and cross members...like ^ don't like losing two jigs on other structure
Posted By: BrazosRiverTom

Re: Double jig setup - 10/08/16 06:30 PM

I was going to ask which is better a single jig or a double jig setup? Don't mean to try and hyjack this thread but I think the question fits in here.
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Double jig setup - 10/08/16 07:13 PM

Originally Posted By: kodys'papa
Use it all the time on bridge columns and cross members...like ^ don't like losing two jigs on other structure
+1 thumb
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Double jig setup - 10/08/16 08:18 PM

Originally Posted By: BrazosRiverTom
I was going to ask which is better a single jig or a double jig setup? Don't mean to try and hyjack this thread but I think the question fits in here.

I typically use double jigs when fishing vertical structure as the fish will suspend and 2 jigs at different depths will give you more of a chance to find them. Plus you don't get hung up much. I use a single jig when fishing brush because like stated above I don't like losing 2 jigs at once. As far as fish biting one or the other better. Sometimes 2 jigs fall too fast. It just depends on what they want.
Posted By: 8upwithfishin'

Re: Double jig setup - 10/08/16 09:50 PM

I also like having jigs at 2 different depths and 2 different styles/colors to help maybe find the flavor of the day!
Posted By: Ranger-188-2007

Re: Double jig setup - 10/09/16 12:08 AM

I only carry one jig with me. When I lose it I go home!
Posted By: Lollygagger

Re: Double jig setup - 10/09/16 12:28 AM

When I started truly crappie fishing four years ago, I always fished with a single jig. I started about two years ago going to a double jig and haven't gone back to a single jig unless I'm using a slip bobber fishing timber (which isn't often). I too have caught many doubles and like 8upwithfishin', I like to use contrasting colors and different styles or brand of jigs to see if the fish are more inclined towards are particular color or style jig. I like the idea of being able to cover a wider span of water with two jigs.
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Double jig setup - 10/09/16 01:17 AM

how far do you separate them,... fish
Posted By: jiggin el

Re: Double jig setup - 10/09/16 04:50 AM

I always use two jigs as well unless I'm fishing brush
Posted By: Mikeyb_23

Re: Double jig setup - 10/09/16 06:26 AM

Mine are usually a little over a foot apart. But,at the lake I fish I'm fishing no more than 12-15ft deep.
Posted By: kickingback

Re: Double jig setup - 10/09/16 12:18 PM

Simply rig one jig with a loop knot and 12"- 24" down tie another jig with a loop knot. The loop knot lets the jigs act naturally and separate from each other. The distance from each lure is subjective and is used to find what depth they are at. If they hit the top lure raise your jigs a foot or two to get both jigs in the "zone". If they bite the bottom one lower you jigs to a foot or two. Easy peasy.
Posted By: Ruffneck2000

Re: Double jig setup - 10/10/16 05:08 AM

thumb
Posted By: BlueNitro

Re: Double jig setup - 10/10/16 05:10 PM

I do a 2nd jig when I fish bridges for many of the reasons mentioned above. I hate the 'Loop Knot' for the top jig because I have had it break many times costing me fish and two jigs so I use this instead for the top jig.

It works very well for double jig set-ups. It's the VMC Drop Shot hook and you can find them at Wally World for $3.48 for a pack of 5.

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum