Texas Fishing Forum

How do you find...

Posted By: CaptainBarkley

How do you find... - 09/23/16 01:30 AM

How are you guys finding the brush piles underwater? I have decent electronics Lowrance Hook-7 over the steering wheel and a Lowrance HDI 7 on the bow so I know what's below me. Do I just troll for as long as it takes until I randomly stumble upon an underwater brush pile or what? It has worked well for finding schools of whites and hybrids but I just can't seem to find any good piles on my sonar that are stacked with crappie. Thanks for any info! I'm on lewisville so if anyone wants to DM me a spot to find a brush pile underwater with crappie, I'll take that too! Thanks
Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

Re: How do you find... - 09/23/16 01:39 AM

Posted By: bush hog

Re: How do you find... - 09/23/16 01:41 AM

Read your lake map. Find places on the map where you would sink a brush pile and chances are somebody already has. Points, drop-offs, creek bends.... any place that looks like a good place for crappie to ambush baitfish. Look at boathouses as you idle by and if they have light fixtures and rod holders chances are there is a brush pile very close. Hope this helps. I'm sure others will offer suggestions. Hang in there, you'll find some.
Posted By: Pintail711

Re: How do you find... - 09/23/16 01:49 AM

Originally Posted By: bush hog
Read your lake map. Find places on the map where you would sink a brush pile and chances are somebody already has. Points, drop-offs, creek bends.... any place that looks like a good place for crappie to ambush baitfish. Look at boathouses as you idle by and if they have light fixtures and rod holders chances are there is a brush pile very close. Hope this helps. I'm sure others will offer suggestions. Hang in there, you'll find some.

This
Posted By: CaptainBarkley

Re: How do you find... - 09/23/16 01:53 AM

Shut-up-and-fish I've seen that video and was extremely helpful in my home state of Missouri. I was on Lake of the Ozark and Truman Lake weekly for years but the difference from those lakes to the Texas lakes that I find is the amount of docks. I could fish over 100 docks on either of these lake in a day and one was always holding crappie. Here there are no docks but instead only marinas or at least it has appeared that way thus far. This has made me change the way I fish and really have to utilize my graphs.
Posted By: rongleaves

Re: How do you find... - 09/23/16 02:20 AM

popcorn
Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

Re: How do you find... - 09/23/16 02:31 AM

Originally Posted By: CaptainBarkley
Shut-up-and-fish I've seen that video and was extremely helpful in my home state of Missouri. I was on Lake of the Ozark and Truman Lake weekly for years but the difference from those lakes to the Texas lakes that I find is the amount of docks. I could fish over 100 docks on either of these lake in a day and one was always holding crappie. Here there are no docks but instead only marinas or at least it has appeared that way thus far. This has made me change the way I fish and really have to utilize my graphs.

CaptainBarkley, let me get my education & instructional boat back from the shop and the CAT Texas State Crappie Championship behind me (on Lake Lewisville) and then I would be happy to show you around Lewisville Lake.
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: How do you find... - 09/23/16 03:00 AM

The first thing I did was go out with a guide on Fork. Of course I remembered where we went,..I aslo ask him what he looks for when he builds a brushpile. Most that I have found are in 16-25 feet of water,..location is key, I look around tress that are above the pool level, that way they can alsways be found. Most piles are set on the north side or south side of tree/stump because of the prevailing winds on fork, That way you can tie up depending which way the wind is blowing..accessability is key, most I find are not buried way back in the stumps/trees, maybe the first or second set of trees seem best ..check your map and think where would I like to go if I was a crappie,..check shelves, bends in channels, and drop-offs,..Side imagining is a big bonus,..
they can run, but they can't hide anymore... fish
Posted By: crope1

Re: How do you find... - 09/25/16 04:11 AM

welcome to the forum!
Originally Posted By: CaptainBarkley
How are you guys finding the brush piles underwater? I have decent electronics Lowrance Hook-7 over the steering wheel and a Lowrance HDI 7 on the bow so I know what's below me. Do I just troll for as long as it takes until I randomly stumble upon an underwater brush pile or what? It has worked well for finding schools of whites and hybrids but I just can't seem to find any good piles on my sonar that are stacked with crappie. Thanks for any info! I'm on lewisville so if anyone wants to DM me a spot to find a brush pile underwater with crappie, I'll take that too! Thanks
Posted By: ERNEST PATY

Re: How do you find... - 09/25/16 04:04 PM

Well Captain, It just might be that you are finding brushpiles and don't know it. Lewisville is so full of shad right now that some piles are totallt hidden by schools of bait.

Also if you are looking for piles that show lots of fish...forget it. Almost all brushpiles have crappie on them but not many show up on sonar. Just find the piles and fish them. Believe me, they are everywhere. I could get in 15' deep water and find 50 in a day even if I didn't already know where 150 already are.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum