Texas Fishing Forum

G-Rod reviews

Posted By: fish n fool

G-Rod reviews - 09/16/16 01:46 PM

Was hoping to get some input on G-Rods. How good are they? Looking for honest opinions on the good as well as bad. Thanks
Posted By: Jerry T.

Re: G-Rod reviews - 09/16/16 02:10 PM

I've used Loomis for a long time and I'm in the process of changing my entire collection to G-Rods. I've been fortunate to see most all rods G-Rods makes and even test them alongside their "competitors" versions of the same size and style. When I compared my favorite rods to G-Rods, my mind was blown. There's not a stitch of competition for G-Rods on the market.

These rods are in a league of their own and the price is insanely cheaper than "equivalent" high modulus rods.

If anyone wants buy a few Loomis SJR 6400s, please PM me.
Posted By: Tommy Ezell

Re: G-Rod reviews - 09/16/16 03:38 PM

Glen and staff are great people and they offer spectacular rods.

My tournament partner is on their pro staff and is more than happy with his rods. We do not have a 12' rod at BoneHead yet and needed the length for the Palestine CAT tournament earlier this season. Glen was sold out at the time but let me borrow his personal 12' rear seat rod. We absolutely tore the shallow fish up pulling them out of thick cat tails with no problem. At one time I set the hook on a massive black bass while doodle socking. She was 9#s easy and the rod handled her perfectly. Lost her at the boat.

Posted By: Laner

Re: G-Rod reviews - 09/16/16 03:47 PM

Mr. Smith, these are without a doubt the best rods I have ever used, hands down. Fresh water, salt water, fly fishing, you name it. If you still have my number, give me a shout and I'll give you all the information I can.

***On a side note, Mr. Miller (the owner and inventor) is a person that I really enjoy having in the industry. Aside from being a great guy to work with, he is an extremely passionate and accomplished angler. Him, his family and all the folks that I've gotten to know at G-Rod continue to impress me.
Posted By: Action_Jackson

Re: G-Rod reviews - 09/16/16 04:30 PM

Wana see a G-Rod in "action"...check out the video below! They have a special tip that makes your slab go airborne when gettin em in the boat!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LikMrnd4-9s
Posted By: red snappa

Re: G-Rod reviews - 09/16/16 05:54 PM

I have also used a lot of the competition, and they just do not compare! These are the Cadillacs of rods. I have never held a rod in my hands that was as sensitive as the G-Rod. There are lots of really good carbon fiber rods out there, but only one great one in my opinion. I also swapped out all of my rods to G-Rods as Jerry T above did!
Posted By: PlanoPaul

Re: G-Rod reviews - 09/16/16 06:10 PM

Sweet rods. I have the 10'6" and it will darn sure put a hook in their lip. It will get a little heavy in your hand at the end of the day, but that's just because I'm a has-been that wears a t-shirt in the pool. And like Laner said, Glenn is just downright passionate about this sport. I recall my first phone call to G-Rods to inquire about their rods, little did I know I would be on the phone for 45mins with the owner Glenn and know absolutely everything there is to know about his product. Get ya a G-Rod and be happy....
Posted By: HOGON

Re: G-Rod reviews - 09/16/16 07:15 PM

G Rods are AWESOME!! I have TWO OF THEM. $$$

That said, I am a huge fan of TICA rods, Pro Angler Rods, SouthernCrappieRods.com, and based on a thread from a couple weeks ago I bought a couple ACC CRAPPIE STIX...I like them a lot!

TICA Rods Run about $55-$60
SOUTHERNCRAPPIE RODS $35 Great Rod and Sensitive
Pro Angler Can't remember what I paid right off hand.

My newest rods the ACC CRAPPIE STIX...Got two 8 footers in Green. $52 a piece. Very Sensitive and a GREAT ROD for the price. I will be using them for a while as I really like the rods a lot.

Some good rod manufacturers above to fit everyone's budget.

Good Luck on whatever you decide.

So many good ones to pick from for sure...That's why I own rods from all of them.

I can recommend any of the above hands down as Sensitive and great rods for catching Crappie! thumb
Posted By: Hancock's Guide Service

Re: G-Rod reviews - 09/16/16 08:42 PM

I fished with Glen and some of the G Rod guys this week. They are super guys and I wish good things for them. No doubt they build a high quality rod. I don't see how you could be disappointed.

Re: G-Rod reviews - 09/16/16 08:51 PM

Thanks for all the input. Lane I have lost your phone #, and your TFF account is full of PM's, I did send you a message on your CPO website. Maybe you could email me your #. I would love to talk to you again. I guess I should have asked what rod length is the most versatile. I have used 8' & 10' for years. Mostly fish BP,timber, and shoot docks.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: G-Rod reviews - 09/17/16 02:12 AM

My G Rods are as good a crappie rod that I've had in my hand.

One thing they need to add is a hook keeper.
Posted By: bush hog

Re: G-Rod reviews - 09/17/16 12:25 PM

I gave up trying to find a dealer that had any in stock, so I bought another BoneHead. Do any G-Rod dealers stock the 8 foot rod yet?
Posted By: tboxfish

Re: G-Rod reviews - 09/17/16 12:48 PM

Originally Posted By: bush hog
I gave up trying to find a dealer that had any in stock, so I bought another BoneHead. Do any G-Rod dealers stock the 8 foot rod yet?

Only 10'6" rods currently available.
Will have the 6's, 7's, New 8's and 9's as soon as they arrive
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: G-Rod reviews - 09/17/16 02:00 PM

[/quote]Only 10'6" rods currently available.
Will have the 6's, 7's, New 8's and 9's as soon as they arrive [/quote]

Hope its soon, I'm looking forward to adding some more

Re: G-Rod reviews - 09/17/16 06:21 PM

Todd what size rod have you been fishing with? Have you fished w itch any of the 7',8, or 9' rods?
Posted By: tboxfish

Re: G-Rod reviews - 09/17/16 08:05 PM

Originally Posted By: fish n fool
Todd what size rod have you been fishing with? Have you fished w itch any of the 7',8, or 9' rods?

I have 3 of the 7's, 2 of the 8' jig and cork rods (haven't fished with the new 8 yet), 2 9's and a rear seat 10'6"
Posted By: machinist

Re: G-Rod reviews - 09/18/16 04:27 AM

Are there any blanks available for sale? Especially in the 6/7 foot range.

Johnny
Posted By: JEFF BAGWELL

Re: G-Rod reviews - 09/18/16 03:32 PM

Took a 10 foot 8 weight fly rod to Alaska a couple weeks ago,
everybody loved it....

Posted By: Laner

Re: G-Rod reviews - 09/19/16 02:40 PM

Mr. Smith, I just PM'd you my number.
Posted By: el Rojo

Re: G-Rod reviews - 09/19/16 02:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Gamblinman
My G Rods are as good a crappie rod that I've had in my hand.

One thing they need to add is a hook keeper.

I have two also and love them.

And I'll second Gamblinman on the hook keeper.
Posted By: Rodney2100

Re: G-Rod reviews - 09/19/16 03:46 PM

I have two of the 5'4" rods. they are amazing rods. Both have hook keepers
Posted By: JEFF BAGWELL

Re: G-Rod reviews - 09/19/16 04:26 PM

I believe the fly rods have a hook keeper also, excellent rods!!
Posted By: Mo

Re: G-Rod reviews - 09/19/16 08:19 PM

I have one , it is a nice rod. I also have several Pro Anglers, The G rod is a bit more
stylish , but I can't tell it fishes any better than the PA's. I feel about it like the
St Croix I bought a few years ago , nice rods , not enough to justify the $$$$ over
a Pro Angler.

Disclaimer , I am no expert and certainly receive no compensation from Pro Angler.

smile

MO
Posted By: HOGON

Re: G-Rod reviews - 09/19/16 08:47 PM

Just out of curiosity...anyone else besides myself that owns a G Rod ever fish with a TICA ROD?

I love my TICA RODS and in my opinion they look like a G Rod.

They are very Sensitive and have a great backbone.

I was just curious.

No disrespect to G Rod. I own 2 G Rods.

Thanks in Advance!
Posted By: crope1

Re: G-Rod reviews - 09/19/16 08:56 PM

I own just about everything you own,including a Tica....
Posted By: Kingcarl

Re: G-Rod reviews - 09/20/16 01:53 AM

In regards to the hook keeper. I spoke with the owner when I picked my 7' up a couple months ago. I think I remember him saying all the new crappie rods have the hook keeper now. I was just about to tell him I thought the location of the keeper is perfect on the back side of the rod but he brought it up before I got it out of my mouth. I find this great because line does not accidentally catch when there is extra slack in the line. This man is very passionate about his product and I really enjoyed speaking with him. I will also be switching over to G-Rods.
Posted By: CPR

Re: G-Rod reviews - 09/20/16 03:51 PM

Best rods I have ever used for crappie. a little spendy, but you get what you pay for. love my 8ft in the boat and my 6ft mag. light when out on the kayak.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum