Texas Fishing Forum

Bridgeport lake Fishing

Posted By: Gungle

Bridgeport lake Fishing - 09/05/16 12:11 AM

A buddy wants to go to Bridgeport Lake next month crappie fishing. We don't know anything about it. Where does a guy start, where is a good place to stay and eat? On-line it looks like a neat lake. Will a 16' 40hp boat be okay or should I take the 20' bass rig? Thanks for any help.

Cheers, cheers

George
Posted By: Pintail711

Re: Bridgeport lake Fishing - 09/05/16 05:05 PM

I've never fished that lake, but have hunted it quite a bit way up the river. Before we found a ramp in wizard wells we would launch at a ramp in my buddy's neighborhood. I wouldn't get on that lake in anything less than 20'. That lake can get very bad really quick. I've been on Cooper, fork when the wind is blowing 30 out of the north... But I thought I was in the ocean on Bridgeport when the wind gets high. I've got a 20' gator trax and it was very hairy at times. So I'd wouldn't take the 16'.
Posted By: crope1

Re: Bridgeport lake Fishing - 09/05/16 08:54 PM

I would contact rockhopper here on the forum. good luck.
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Bridgeport lake Fishing - 09/05/16 09:48 PM

The crappie I have caught lately are small, like 7"-9" being the normal size, I don't fish for them much, but do occasionally after I'm through with the Hybrids for the day. We had the best luck on green colored jigs. The County Park, Shell Station and Dam all have good ramps. The dam ramp is pretty flat, so be sure and trim up if you use it. There are places to stay around there, but I'm not sure how good they are. A few miles East, Bridgeport has major hotel chain places and plenty of eating places. You might check Northside Marina, they have cabins and a private ramp. Unless the wind is over 20 mph straight out of the North Or South, that 16' boat will be fine. I live near that lake and have been all over it in a 14' Jon with a 15 hp for many years. Up on the river end, it is pretty tame even when windy. This past 5th of July was a day you didn't want to be on it in your little boat though. We were out in my 22' CC Bay boat, and the lake was really rolling in the 33 mph wind.
Posted By: Gungle

Re: Bridgeport lake Fishing - 09/05/16 10:55 PM

Hey, thanks for all the information. Sounds like I'd better take the big boat. I'll keep looking for more intel on the lake.

Cheers, cheers

George
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum