Texas Fishing Forum

The Post Game Report

Posted By: Laner

The Post Game Report - 09/01/16 03:55 PM

The best part about living next door to the bullpen coach is getting the inside post game report after every Ranger game. The best part about a day game is that I get to hear the report while doing what I love to do. It's like Babe Ruth in waders, Cy Young with a bobber!

Mr. Hollman and I hit the water at 6:00pm all rigged up and ready to go. The wind was pushing 15-20mph at first so we had all jigs rigged on 1/8 ounce heads. I started with a White Hot Thump Chubby on our new bladed jig heads, while Brad fished a Panfish Assassin in the Wood Pecker color, on a 1/8 ounce unpainted head. I was using the 8ft G Rod and he was using the 6ft G Rod, both spooled with 6lb Wally Marshall Hi-Vis on Pflueger President reels. We even had the great David Goodson there in spirit.

We started out on some stumps in 16-20ft of water that produced a couple of huge slabs on Saturday, but all we found were a couple of dinks yesterday. From there, we decided to head north and search for clearer, more shallow water. Scanning across a flat that is littered with cover, I marked a nice bunch of fish that kept us entertained for the next hour or so.

At this time, the wind had completely laid off, and we switched our gear up to 1/16th ounce heads. Vertical jigging was no longer working, and knowing that there were a ton of fish in our area, we started pitching across the stump field to cover more water, and hopefully entice a few strikes. My first pitch I hooked up with a nice fish and it was as quick as you could get a jig in the water for quite some time. If the fish didn't hit the jig on the way down, we could slowly pick it up off the bottom and BAM, fish on. Most of our fish in this area came in 8-11ft of water.

Sometimes you strike out and the stump wins. Decisions, decisions...

As the sunset was interrupted by large thunderheads, I switched over to a darker color, and had the pleasure of getting to try out our new Thump Jumper prototype. After getting a few dinks out of the way, I was rewarded with big fish of the evening.

All in all, we ended up with 20-25 crappie, most of which were 9-10" fish. If we had wanted fish for dinner, we could've accomplished that with the keepers that we did get, but all fish were released for the next game.

Oh, and don't tell anybody, but we spent the last 45 minutes of twilight bass fishing.
Posted By: crope1

Re: The Post Game Report - 09/01/16 04:04 PM

As usual,you didn't let us down....thanks for the story and report.
Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

Re: The Post Game Report - 09/01/16 04:14 PM

Ha....Love it!!
Posted By: TexExp

Re: The Post Game Report - 09/01/16 05:12 PM

Good stuff and good times Laner.
Posted By: jp24

Re: The Post Game Report - 09/01/16 11:33 PM

I always look forward to your reports, because they're not only informative -- they're good reads, Laner.

Once again, you didn't disappoint. Sounds like some good times.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: The Post Game Report - 09/02/16 04:22 AM

Nice post! cheers
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: The Post Game Report - 09/02/16 04:58 AM

thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum