Texas Fishing Forum

Ray Roberts Crappie and Muttin' Bustin'

Posted By: CodyTuckerOutdoors

Ray Roberts Crappie and Muttin' Bustin' - 08/30/16 06:26 PM

Last week was a crazy week for us! I fished in the mornings and Mason was entered to ride sheep at the North Texas State Fair and Rodeo Tuesday and Wednesday evenings. First the fishing.. The fishing is indescribable really... There was not one tree we hit all week where didn't catch a fish. And honestly there might have been 2 or 3 trees per day where we didn't catch a keeper. Most trees produced 2-3 keepers and that many little fish. We averaged over 40 keepers per day for the week and at least that many little ones per trip. It's just fishing unbeleivebe right now. 11-22 ft is about what I'm concentrating on. The bonehead Brushgliders are fishing incredible for the guys that want to jig fish. But minnows are working really well too! One bit of advice, if they don't bite immediately... Move!

Now the sheep rider... Mason was one of the youngest and was the smallest kid at the rodeo and he was too 10 both Tuesday and Wednesday night which meant he qualified for the finals Thirsday and Friday night in the big arena during the bull riding. He was pumped and so were we! We couldn't have been more proud of him for getting on 4 nights in a row. He loved the attention and the lights in the big arena. He waved his hat when they called his name like he's been doing it forever. Before the rodeo starts they always do a prayer and sing the national anthem. He took his hat off on his own and stood there. He made me very proud! For him to have just turned 4 he sure seems to be acting like a little man. I couldnt be more proud of him! Here's some pics from our week last week!
Posted By: TexExp

Re: Ray Roberts Crappie and Muttin' Bustin' - 08/30/16 07:39 PM

Very nice Cody!

Congrats!!

You have a fine son there.
Posted By: crope1

Re: Ray Roberts Crappie and Muttin' Bustin' - 08/30/16 08:20 PM

wtg Mason! You done good Cody,two-fold....
Posted By: Cowboytex

Re: Ray Roberts Crappie and Muttin' Bustin' - 08/30/16 08:42 PM

Originally Posted By: crope1
wtg Mason! You done good Cody,two-fold....

x2. Good job on both accounts. That looks like a finely raised boy right there thumb
Posted By: Joe Slab

Re: Ray Roberts Crappie and Muttin' Bustin' - 08/31/16 12:42 AM

Nice work Cody and Mason! thumb
Posted By: HV Lurenut

Re: Ray Roberts Crappie and Muttin' Bustin' - 08/31/16 01:38 AM

Seeing our sons grow into young men is one of lifes greatest pleasures.
Question, how do you pick a tree to fish? I have always tried to stay on the main creek channels. Some times it produces well, but more often for me its slim Pickens. Not fished RR much till recently. I hit the timber twice in the last month and nothing. Went to brush piles and did well. Plan to try timber again this weekend. Pointers as to what to look for would be very much appreciated. Please don't tell me a spot( every boat on the lake would be there). The logic to help figure it out would be greatly appreciated.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Ray Roberts Crappie and Muttin' Bustin' - 08/31/16 01:57 AM

Awesome Post! thumb
Posted By: CodyTuckerOutdoors

Re: Ray Roberts Crappie and Muttin' Bustin' - 08/31/16 02:34 AM

Originally Posted By: HV Lurenut
Seeing our sons grow into young men is one of lifes greatest pleasures.
Question, how do you pick a tree to fish? I have always tried to stay on the main creek channels. Some times it produces well, but more often for me its slim Pickens. Not fished RR much till recently. I hit the timber twice in the last month and nothing. Went to brush piles and did well. Plan to try timber again this weekend. Pointers as to what to look for would be very much appreciated. Please don't tell me a spot( every boat on the lake would be there). The logic to help figure it out would be greatly appreciated.

Most of the stuff I fish isn't anywhere near the creek channel. Most of the stuff I like is isolated out on flats all by themselves. That's where your numbers are going to come from. There are way to many trees along the creeks that will spread the fish out. You might catch one here and there. Big gnarly trees have had fish all over them.
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Ray Roberts Crappie and Muttin' Bustin' - 08/31/16 06:43 AM

thumb
Posted By: whale

Re: Ray Roberts Crappie and Muttin' Bustin' - 08/31/16 10:56 AM

Way to go Mason!! You're teaching them well Cody!!
Posted By: UJC

Re: Ray Roberts Crappie and Muttin' Bustin' - 08/31/16 03:28 PM

Great post Cody as usual. I think I can feel Ron Conatser smiling from above, proud of Mason.
Posted By: Action_Jackson

Re: Ray Roberts Crappie and Muttin' Bustin' - 08/31/16 04:37 PM

Good looking slabs cheers

WTG lil Mason thumb thumb
Posted By: TwoLakes

Re: Ray Roberts Crappie and Muttin' Bustin' - 08/31/16 09:47 PM

Cool post!! I really enjoy watching the kids riding sheep. Maybe the best part of the rodeo.
Posted By: CrappieTX

Re: Ray Roberts Crappie and Muttin' Bustin' - 09/01/16 12:46 PM

That's fantastic! My 2 boys did the same when they were little.
Posted By: Slewfoot

Re: Ray Roberts Crappie and Muttin' Bustin' - 09/01/16 01:19 PM

Thats awesome!!! Langdon did that one time! All the kids in front of him got slow ones that just walked across the arena! His was named Lamborghini!! And that sucker was gone!!!! roflmao

Momma didn't even get a picture! Little man flew off before he cleared the gate! Sheep was eating cubes in a bucket on the other side of the arena before the announcer finished figuring out how to say our last name! Little man asked why his was so fast! I guess he thats why he was Lamborghini! He's still mad at Lamborghini and wants to ride him again but no other ones! Good fun!!! thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum